DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Flaws in SciFi shows

F Horn of Valere

I was watching ST: Voyager today and Janeway commented about Naomi Wildman's holo-novel and how she did the same one when she is six years old.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I am not 100% sure, but in the first season of Next Gen, wasn't Picard so excited about the Enterprise's new holodeck because it was fairly new technology? I was under the impression it had only been developed a few years back?

From Janeway's comment, at the age of six, as a commoner, she had regular access to technology that was probably not invented yet, or at best, was not available to the public yet!

• Community Administrator

I was watching ST: Voyager today and Janeway commented about Naomi Wildman's holo-novel and how she did the same one when she is six years old.

Correct me if I am wrong, because I am not 100% sure, but in the first season of Next Gen, wasn't Picard so excited about the Enterprise's new holodeck because it was fairly new technology? I was under the impression it had only been developed a few years back?

From Janeway's comment, at the age of six, as a commoner, she had regular access to technology that was probably not invented yet, or at best, was not available to the public yet!

If you consider Startrek: Enterprise as canon, then holo-deck technology was introduced quite early in the game.

More likely then not is that the holo-deck technology was only fairly new on the starships rather then on earth its self.

You know, since the whole 'long-term' space missions didn't really become much of an issue till star trek: TNG.. (later ds9/voyager)

So why then would many of the crew be so amazed at the technology? They would have been fully familiar with it from their pre-starfleet days.

And Enterprise... that is a whole nother story since it has so many conflicts with the rest of the startrek realm.. Rick Berman didn't even watch all of TOS before producing the show, for goodness sake!

• Community Administrator

So why then would many of the crew be so amazed at the technology? They would have been fully familiar with it from their pre-starfleet days.

And Enterprise... that is a whole nother story since it has so many conflicts with the rest of the startrek realm.. Rick Berman didn't even watch all of TOS before producing the show, for goodness sake!

probably for the same reason as to why warp 10 is possibly in the orginal startrek, and not in DS9/Voyager.

things change, the history of the shows changed... "Ie, back in the 90's when tng first came out, the concept of a holo-deck was quite new. Most likely the people who were writing the books/shows probably incorporated/changed the history abit...

Archived