DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Movie] Bourne Ultimatum

SBoydW

Review from AICN:

Hey everyone. Capone in Chicago here.

Disappointed with what this year's summer crop of franchise players has had to offer? You disappointment stops right here, with a film that features no noticeable special effects; the best collection of actors the season has to offer; and the most intelligent, angst-ridden hero this side of…well, the last movie featuring the continuing adventures of Jason Bourne (Matt Damon, at his steely-eyed, razor-sharp finest).

Here's the thing: I'm about as big a fan of Damon's acting talents as anyone you'll meet. I like him even in his worst films; I don't think the capable of giving a bad performance, even in films that are stinkers. When I first heard that he'd signed on to star in the adaptation of Robert Ludlum's THE BOURNE IDENTITY back in 2002, I'll admit was a little disappointed. I knew this could place Damon in franchise territory for the first time in his career, which typically translates to making concessions as an artist and not really being giving a chance to stretch the old acting muscle. I'll always admit when I'm wrong. Rather than simply lie back and play Jason Bourne as a confused kid looking for his proverbial daddy, Damon owns this character and charges him with a set of skills that surprise even him when he's forced into action. He's sometimes as startled by his abilities as we are.

Bourne's main objective is regaining his memory and remembering his entire life. In THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM, Jason's last unretrieved memory involves how he become the killing machine he clearly was trained to be, and he sets out to discover his origins. Meanwhile, a team of CIA agents are using every resource at their disposal to stop Bourne from following the trail to his beginnings, and as always, they seem willing--even eager--to kill him.

The thing that always got me excited about the BOURNE movies was the ridiculously high-profile cast the films always pulled in, a testament to the quality of the smart writing (by lead adapter Tony Gilroy and his partners) and thrilling direction from Doug Liman (on the first film) and Paul Greengrass (the second and third). And how about those supporting actors: Brian Cox, Chris Cooper, Joan Allen, Clive Owen, Julia Stiles, Franka Potente, Karl Urban, and Michelle Monaghan. Add to this impressive list the likes of Paddy Considine, Albert Finney, Scott Glenn, David Strathairn, Daniel Bruhl, and Venezuelan actor Edgar Ramirez in his first American role as another assassin charged with offing Bourne.

But all these fine actors would be left in the wind if Damon didn't pull off his constantly shifting role as Bourne, whose personality changes ever so slightly with each new piece of information he obtains or remembers. It doesn't help that none of the memories coming back are pleasant. In fact, the more he learns about his past as a government assassin, the more he beings to realize that he may have chosen the lifestyle rather than having had it thrust upon him. What I also liked about the plot is that as more higher-ups in the CIA find out the truth about who Bourne really is and what he was trained to be, the more they start to sympathize with his plight and assist him in minor ways.

For those of you a bit less interested in the human drama at work in THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM, don't worry. The action scenes here kick your ass so hard, your grandma's uterus will rumble from the impact. Jason Bourne has always excelled at close-quarters fighting, often with no obvious weaponry at hand (magazine, anyone?). But director Greengrass has outdone himself here with fight scenes shot in such tight spaces, I don't know how he even fit a camera in the room. And keeping with the literary theme of Bourne's weapons, he does give a guy a severe beating with a book. Damon's eyes are always darting around a room or whatever his surrounding are, analyzing each setting and looking for both escape routes and things with which to pummel an opponent.

In addition to the fighting, there are a couple of brilliant motorized chase scenes as well, one involving cars and another using scooters and motorcycles going up and down every surface with an angle. I don't use the phrase "pulse-pounding" ever, but THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM literally had my heart racing with excitement (or possibly from the jumbo container of nachos I was eating). It's rare that I get THIS excited about action films, but this movie is so much more than that; it's the perfect combination of brains and brawn; and if you like your summer fare loud, in your face, and teeming with, well you can stop looking right here.

Archived