DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Congratulations my Sister

Wayfarer

There was a smile on Lillian's face as she entered the Red Ajah quarters.  She was generally welcome here, over the years she had assisted in the capture of several male channelers and while doing so she'd accepted the direction given to her by the Red Sisters in charge of those missions.  A willingness to help and not allow Ajah politics or personal ego to get in the way had gone a long way to impressing the genuine nature of her assistance upon the Red Sisters as opposed to seeing it as interference or usurption.

So, the sisters that she saw in the hallway were welcoming as they greeted her rather than simply polite.  If one gave respect, one received it and that had been the way she'd sought to conduct herself since she had been raised over thirty years ago.  That was indeed one of the reasons that she had come to the Red Ajah Quarters today, in order to pay her respects to the newly raised sister of the Red Ajah.

She already knew Jagen from when she was a Novice and Accepted.  The girl had struggled a little to adjust but had quickly become dedicated to her studies.  There had been a few incidents she'd learned about, but Lillian had her own infractions during her time from when she had been pushed too far.  She didn't like to think about the time she had gotten into a fistfight with Nynaeve though, that had been a regrettable slip on her part.  Even if she hadn't taken the first swing, it was still the wrong thing to have done.

But now she was standing before Jagen's room, garbed in something more appropriate than the day before.  A simple Tarabon dress of white wool with a purple sash that hung to her left, she knocked on the door and waited for an answer.  Instead, the door was opened to reveal Jagen in a red dress of Andoran cut, modest and practical.  A red shawl was likewise draped over her shoulders, a practice of all new sisters but considering how long it took to earn one's shawl, not unexpected or unworthy of someone.  It was a good thing to be able to celebrate one's new status after so long.

"Good morning Jagen."  Inclining her head as she spoke, Lillian continued.  "I wanted to congratulate you on your raising to the shawl properly, and if you had time perhaps speak of a few things.  If you are too busy we could always speak later, I realise that as a new sister you're no doubt still settling in."

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

Jagen looked over Lillian carefully when the woman began speaking. She was trying to place--that's right. She showed up the other day in that colorful gleeman's outfit, out of no where, to take Estel away. The dress the Sister wore today was much more befitting to her station. Lillian must've been an odd White, she decided.

"Thank you, Sister," she said somewhat warily. She was mainly wondering what the woman wanted with her. What could she want to speak about? "Actually, I was just about to head out into Tar Valon to do some shopping. If you wish to accompany me...?"

Inclining her head, Lillian smiled widely.  "Of course, I haven't been to the markets since I was last in Tar Valon.  After you." She stepped aside so she wasn't in Jagen's way.

Jagen, already with two pouches of gold strapped into a rather plain belt, stepped outside her room. It was warded already with a weave she had tied off beforehand. She pushed her braids back over her shoulders and adjusted the fine veil on her face. It was the same veil she wore as a servant in the Panarch's Palace, woven of the finest gauze material and threaded at the top with intertwining gold. With Lillian beside she walked out of the Red Quarters. "So tell me, Lillian... what brings you to me? You just returned to Tar Valon, do you always greet new Sisters? Or is it something else by which I have attracted your attention?"

Smiling at the question that Jagen asked of her as they began to proceed down a flight of stairs, Lillian was open in her honesty.  "I like to welcome new sisters personally, I remember how difficult it can be starting off by yourself.  Although your Ajah welcomes you in, it can be hard to make contacts outside of one's Ajah because of the divisions in the Tower.  Since I don't believe in those divisions, I make an active effort to make myself approachable for sisters of all Ajahs.  Its easier to make that offer now than later."  Reaching the bottom of the stairs and emerging in the main hall, the began to make their way to the front entrance.

Jagen nodded thoughtfully. "Admittedly I do not understand why the Ajahs are so far apart. We are all Aes Sedai, all part of the White Tower." He voice held hints of pride. "What Ajah one is shouldn't matter."

"It shouldn't, but unfortunately that is the reality that constantly causes difficulties."  Feeling the sunlight on her face as the exited the Tower, she smiled before continuing.  "I'm more concerned with the Tower than individual Ajah, hence why I spend most of my time traveling and assisting other Ajahs in their works in the world.  By respecting other Ajahs and assisting them, they are then willing to respect me in turn and if I need help, they are usually willing to give it."

"I suppose that's the logical thing to do," the Taraboner murmured, looking aorund. She didn't often come to Tar Valon as an Accepted. And now the people on the streets would be looking at her as a Sister. That pride swelled up more in her. But she wore no smile. "The other day when you came, I admit I was caught in a bicker with Estel of the Blue, and she had just called another Blue over when Mother came. I'm sure you remember? But me, it was not my intention to start such a thing. I don't desire to fight with any Sister."

"I don't doubt that."  That she didn't, she'd spoken to Estel afterward and she knew what had been going on.  "I certainly don't intend to blame you for it.  She tends to spoil for a fight here and there, she knows better but whenever she's stressed that is her way of dealing with it.  What I would suggest though is that even if a fight is picked, if you're serious about avoiding problems with the Ajahs is not to buy into it.  And I know, trust me, it is tempting, but if you are going to have a fight, infront of the dining hall isn't the best place for it."

Again Jagen shared her agreement with a nod. Her thoughtful gaze wandered to a palequin, but she decided to walk through the streets rather than hire someone to carry her through them. The city didn't seem to be as packed anymore, but there were still plenty of people in it. "Perhaps I should. . . apologize to her. Or at least tell her I'm not going to put up with such childish things."

That Jagen accepted what she said was promising.  Lillian knew that Estel could be frustrating at times, but Estel tried to better herself and she had come a long way since Lillian had been a Novice.  It felt strange to think that that had been over half a century ago.  "It speaks well of you to hear that.  Power should always be tempered with understanding.  Estel has not always been...  treated kindly, partly of her own doing but her position in the Tower is low.  To feud with her is to only drive her further down, and it would also alienate you with the Blue Ajah because they would see one of their own being targetted."

"But, Estel was not the main reason I decided to speak with you."  Lillian nodded politely at a couple who stepped aside for them before conintuing.  "I wish to offer my support to you.  If you need any assistance in any way, I will do what I can to help.  Either with any projects of your own, or if you need an introduction to any of the sisters I am familiar with."

"I will accept your offer of contacts and help graciously, Lillian S--" She stopped herself from saying the honorific. It was still a habit that needed to be broken. She smiled in a kind manner--a rare look on her face--and bowed her head. "I know the Whites thought I was going to join them. Even the Browns or Greens perhaps. And I am aware of my own... position... as a Red in the Tower, this day. But please do not be turned off by my choice. I would like to offer my help as well, with anything you would need help with."

"I'm most certainly not disturbed by your choice Jagen, you chose to go where you felt you could serve the Tower best."  Lillian was glad for Jagen accepting her offer, with time and more people like Jagen, maybe something could be changed.  "Too often, the Ajah are raised to a status far beyond what they should be.  While they can become a part of us, they are a part, not the whole.  As professions they are how we best serve the Tower, but a Red sister is more than just someone who hunts male channelers, as much as any other sister is more than their chosen specialty.  And if I do need help, I will ask for your assistance without reservation."

Grinning all of a sudden, Lillian laughed.  "I'm sorry, we've strayed from the main purpose of this trip.  Where would you like to go shopping first?"

"Wherever I can find a good seamstress," she replied. Her eyes looked around to make sure no one was too close, and said, "Lillian, I'd like for you to contact me on anything. I mean it. Even should it involve male channelers. Perhaps something even more important than than them, if you come across it." She hoped, secretly, that the woman would catch on to what she was saying. Something of determination was in her voice. And need.

Looking to Jagen sharply, Lillian's smile slipped as she thought about what had been said, she was well aware of what Jagen was referring to.  "Why would you be interested in such a thing?"

Jagen gestured to a small, high-class tavern nearby. "Let's go in here and speak shall we? I could use a refreshing drink."

Lillian nodded.  "By all means, lead the way."

Jagen kept her expression fairly calm as she entered the inn, but she was frowning ever so slightly. Ever the traditionalist, Lillian Sedai seemed like the last Sister in the Tower the Red would ever be seen with. However, Jagen knew the importance of change. With all the events happening around the Tower and its occupants during her years as Accepted, especially the last two, she spent much of her time in meditation on what had to be done. Her role of becoming Aes Sedai was important. She felt that she was destined to make a difference.

Upon entering the place Jagen immediately turned to her left taking a seat facing the rest of the room. No one else was near them. Seeing Aes Sedai enter, the serving girl nearly came bounding over, but a quick, cool glare with a slight narrowing of the Red’s eyes right at her stopped her so fast she nearly tripped over her dress. She turned the other way. Well, it defeated the purpose of getting a drink, but Jagen wanted to talk right then and nearly forgot she was thirsty at all. “When I came to the Tower fourteen years ago everything was different. Even before my first year in novice white ended I knew what Ajah I wanted to join. But I also knew the importance of understanding all the Ajahs in the Tower. All are important in their own ways but, as you know, some are most useful than others in certain situations.

“I never expected the condition of the Tower or even the world to be what it is in now. No one did, I think. But the fact of the matter is times are changing and with it so must we. I think it is harder, however, for the older generation to accept change. It was and still is hard for me. But I understand what must be done. I am not a fool. I chose Red for a specific purpose. I admire Whites for their pursuit of knowledge and truth based on logic and greatly value their opinion. Browns are similarly important for their own extensive knowledge and I admire them for keeping up the books they do, as well as all the research they’ve contributed for the rest of us. ‘Knowledge is power,’ as the saying goes. I even can see how Greens must fit into it all. The Battle Ajah, they are nicknamed. I can see exactly where they will go when the times comes to fight—and the Yellows too—and it will come to fighting soon. The Grays can help there. Even the Blues,” she added.

She glanced around the common room, spotting the girl from before. She coolly raised an eyebrow and the girl came skittering over uncertainly. “Aes Sedai,” she bowed to them both. “A simple sweet drink,” Jagen requested, pausing to allow Lillian to order, and think and speak on what she had said thus far.

Listening to Jagen as they took a seat, Lillian accepted what was said even as she analysed it.  No one had precisely expected what had happened, though there had been a few that had an inkling, and fewer still that had known enough to do something about it.  But then, it was those few that had suffered for their lack of trust in the Tower when the Tower learned the truth of it and turned upon them.  She could still remember returning to the Tower to find that the Amyrlin Karana had been overthrown along with her Keeper Arette to be replaced by Lanfir and Lyanna who were in turn lost after the madman Caladesh slew Lyanna, then was murdered in his cell in turn by Lanfir who had burned herself out during the confrontation in the main hall of the Tower.

And the Dragon, the change he had wrought upon the world.  Andor, Tear and Cairhien within his grasp and the Aiel his to command, two of the Tower's allies lost and their own position becoming more precarious with the fall of Kandor to the north.  The Tower's responses were sluggish, disunified and the changes in Amyrlin hadn't helped with the politics of the Hall chaotic and unpredictable in the light of the changing world around them.  But then, thats why Lillian busied herself in the world rather than the Tower, she wasn't in a position to do anything directly from within.

"Spiced wine please."  Nodding at the serving girl with a slight smile as she walked away to carry out the order, Lillian decided to speak.  "At present, the Tower is unable to keep up with the world.  We are losing allies and will lose more, but the Tower refuses to recognise and co-operate with the Dragon.  There is little we can do to influence the Hall except seek to persuade our sitters of a more versatile approach to the problem.  Until then, the Tower will no doubt attempt to resist what cannot be resisted.  When one is being swept away by a river, you never swim against the current, you either swim with it to find its end or across it until you find a purchase to pull yourself free."

"But this isn't simply a river, its a flood.  But I think you realise that, otherwise you would never have asked what you did."  Stopping as the serving girl returned, Lillian gave her thanks with a smile before turning back to Jagen.  "But, what do you see as your purpose as a Red Sister?  I think there is more to your choice than simply hunting male channelers."  Lillian sipped her wine.

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

Jagen smiled, and even chuckled lightly. "By the Light, I have achieved my dream, but it is so far from what I pictured."

She sighed and straightened, the smile fading. "To gentle a madman is different than gentling each male you come across. Admittedly I still have the desire to gentle every man who can channel. Imagine what a man could do with the Power but without Oaths to bind him? Suppose he saw a pretty girl and the only way to have her was to use the Power? Or perhaps he has fallen on some financial ill, and decides to rob the city's bank? I could come up with many more things but you get my point."

Continuing, she lowered her voice. "We both know the Dragon is different. I daresay even most of his followers are different. I don't like the idea of them channeling any more than the next Sister and would prefer a quiet end, but the way the Tower is handling it is not how I think we should do about it. The White Tower itself cannot handle what is coming. Not Tarmon Gaidon. It hurts me inside to say this, but we need those male channelers." She stopped speaking when the girl came over and Jagen took up her drink quickly, swallowing deeply. Her words really did hurt. She wanted to weep on the inside. But her determination and strength wouldn't let her. She spoke of necessity.

"By the Light, if I must do it singlehandedly, I plan on bringing us together. I want our novices and Accepted taught as quickly as those damned men. And I want the White and Black Towers to come to a compromise." She hated using the term Black Tower but there was no way to avoid it either. Ever since learning that there was indeed an organized gathering of male channelers training away wherever they were, she decided to use the term that flitted on people's tongues for lack of anything better to describe it by. "We must unite and we must gain the trust of the Dragon." She took in a deep breath. She knew asking direct questions was something Aes Sedai simply did not do, but desperate times called for desperate measures, and she needed to be wary. "I have to ask Lillian, when you talked to Estel the other day, why did you? Is she someone like you or me? She isn't a very... fit woman, from what I understand." She felt she had a mission to accomplish and right now Lillian was looking her best hope for starting it. Jagen was going to do something she was sure the Amyrlin wouldn't approve of. It could not reach her ears. But before she spoke of her plan to Lillian she needed to be sure she could trust the woman and learn exactly where she stood in the matter of things.

The words that came from Jagen were words she only heard spoken by a few, many more were given to pondering the matter in silence, or were unwilling to reconsider where the Tower stood at all.  There was also a certain passion to Jagen that hadn't been obvious before, the sort of thing one heard when a person spoke from the heart.  It certainly gave her hope that the newer generation hadn't been so indoctrinated by the work of the old, that they did understand that the world was changing, and that perhaps they needed to change with it.  Perhaps it would be the new generation that helped tip the balance in the Tower.

When the topic returned to Estel, Lillian's face smoothed as she considered the question that was put to her, or rather why it had been put to her.  The answer she had came as much from the heart as Jagen's ideas on the changing world.  "Estel is a good example of what is wrong in the Tower, but not Estel herself.  She's an example of what happens when you use a stick instead of offer a hand and understanding.  A lot has happened to her, and instead of understanding and being given a hand to help her back on her feet, she's simply been punished for what she does wrong and treated like an outcast."

"When you start treating someone like that for long enough, thats exactly what they become.  Why do you think Estel spoiled for that fight?  And here and there gets into trouble and therefore suffers a low reputation?  I can tell you right now, anything that you could say about her wouldn't compare to what she tells herself.  Thats why I stepped in, and why I have for years.  You don't treat your sisters that way, and you don't simply just bail them out of trouble everytime and call that help.  Thats just dependence, and all that would do is not only make her dependent but resentful of the very fact she is dependent."

"Instead I look out for her when I can, and I talk to her about problems that she wants to discuss and I help her work out what she wants to do.  Since I've been an Accepted and I first got to know Estel, I've seen how other sisters have treated her.  Since that time, I've always gotten along with her because I understand why she's angry, why she seems to do stupid things, and instead of railing at her for it or trying to put a bandage on it, I help her put the bandage on herself."

"That is how you help people, and its the only way this Tower will ever change.  You can't simply force it to change, you can't scheme it through either because even if it could be done, and it can't, that force simply breeds resentment.  The only way to change things is by setting an example, by doing the right thing by others and in turn they'll do the right thing by you.  I can't remember having a problem with Estel in nearly fifty years now because she knows that she can talk to me about something and I won't simply sell her out the moment it seems advantageous.  Without trust, without the most basic virtue that we as sisters should have let alone any decent person, then nothing will change."

Pausing, Lillian smiled again.  "I'm sorry, I became slightly carried away there.  This is a topic that has been near to my heart since I was an Accepted myself, indeed my major work was based upon it.  It ended up being a bit of a contentious work, as you can imagine."

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

Jagen nodded in understanding. She really began to regret that fight now. But hopefully there was still time to remedy it.

"Perhaps later, will you take me to go see Estel? I believe we should all sit down and talk."

Lillian nodded.  "That I can do."

Jagen sat back in a satisfied way. "I chose Red, Lillian, because I feel I can best make a difference this way. My goal is the same. To help the world. To help control men who can channel, if in a totally different way than I expected to. Do you understand what I am saying?"

Frowning, Lillian considered Jagen's words.  "I am beginning to I think.  I understand the why, but what means would you consider?"

Jagen had been weaving her plan in more details in her head since the two had left the Tower. She had her proposition ready. "I believe for the Tower to become stronger Aes Sedai and Asha'man must unite, if not as one force than as two with similar terms and goals. I wish to approach the Black Tower with a proposal, brought on by myself and a select few Sisters. What I will propose is that the fighting between the Towers stop and we work on agreement terms. But also under the agreement that Aes Sedai will be allowed to gentle any man that goes mad. Asha'man will be under the supervision of the White Tower and everyone will work together." She hoped Vera Sedai would be a part of this, as a Gray. She wondered if she should dare include a Blue on it too. Not Green though. Not yet. She didn't want a fighter amongst her group and not someone from the Amyrlin's former Ajah.

"If you be part of this Lillian, I think we can finally start to change something. But I don't think the Amyrlin should know, yet. Her stance isn't exactly.... smart, in my opinion." Placing her own opinion against the Amyrlin Seat's was a pretty poor comparison perhaps, but with Lillian she felt she could be a bit free in what she said.

"Besides you know," she added with a grin, thinking back on Lillian's question of why she went Red, "I couldn't very well take my oaths and request not to be part of an Ajah."

Lillian laughed at the last, it reminded her of when she had first taken her oaths.  "When I took my oaths, I contemplated walking towards the Amyrlin.  Or perhaps concealing a purple shawl amongst my things and when I was asked to pick an Ajah, I could have whipped it out, slung it over my shoulders and walked right out the door.  Without a precedent for it, I'm fairly certain I would have at least made it as far as the doors before someone exploded."

But there was still the matter of Jagen's plan, it was incredibly risky and Lillian wasn't sure if it was the best idea.  "I like the idea, but there are some problems with it.  The Black and White Towers are not on the best term, approaching them will be a difficult things to accomplish with any degree of safety.  If you take sisters with you, you're even more threatening yet if you don't you are more at their mercy.  Either way your own safety, and sisters you take with you, will be at serious risk.  The Tower lost enough of its sisters at Dumai Wells alone."  And due to other incidents, but those weren't to be spoken of openly.

"The other thing is that your bargaining position will be weak.  Not only will you be unable to represent the Tower, simply those sisters who are interested in a peace, but look at the Tower's position currently.  We are losing allies, and we do not have a force possible of repelling the Dragon should he direct his full might at us.  We barely held off the Aiel before, but their numbers are much greater this time and they have the Black Tower behind them.  If they chose to, they could simply take this city by force."

"The only thing that I can see stopping them is because I think the Dragon would prefer our Tower intact, our sisters under his command and because Tar Valon would incur heavy losses on an invading force.  But while you can assume there may be some men amongst the Black Tower who would have peace, there are plenty of other men there who would fear and hate the shawl you're wearing now.  Your Ajah has done a necessary duty for nearly three thousand years, but those men who are there may not see it that way."

"Lastly, the Hall may turn against you.  If they feel that you've assumed too much, or can be convinced that you did, that could sour the process altogether."  Lillian held up a hand before Jagen could jump in.  "Having said that, something does need to be done, and perhaps the risks would be worth it.  But the timing would have to be carefully picked, as would everything else.  You would need to be very careful who you told, the wrong sister and you could be in a world of trouble."

"As for the Amyrlin..."  Lillian shook her head.  "When one doesn't have a good thing to say, sometimes it is best to say nothing.  As for my own part, it would depend on how it was done, when and the climate.  There is no point doing this if the hall is unreceptive.  Therefore the first step is to try and influence the sitters as well as the Ajah leadership.  Once they are ready, then dialogue between the two Towers could be broached."

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

Jagen finished her drink after Lillian stopped speaking. She pulled out a gold piece and placed it on the table, to be taken and given back her change.

"I admit I do not plan on moving now. But even so I wouldn't dare approach the Asha'man directly. I believe it would be better to find a group who means peace and work with them, if such can be contacted. This is going to take time. I know." Her eyes swept the common room again. No women sat nearby and only a few men and one woman occupied a table far across the large room. The serving girl walked over, curtsied, and took the coin away.

"Anyway, I plan on staying in the Tower and doing things there first. Specifically training Accepted and maybe novices to reach their ranks faster. I personally believe that we need to push them, now more than ever. I've heard the rate of the Black Tower's training is much faster. If that's true, I plan on matching it. That is my more current goal. Until I can get moving on a plan to approach the Black Tower. Should the Tower decide on it, I plan on being at the head of that group. And I want you with me, if you will chose to be part of this. I believe it's essential to get the Black Tower's cooperation before even bringing it up with the White Tower. For a while we will have to work with them, not the other way around. Unless things change or..." She grimaced. "We will see what the Wheel wills."

The girl brought back her change and she tossed it in her belt pouch and stood. Together the Sisters walked out. She still needed to get dresses, and belts, and anything else she wanted to buy. With boarding at the Tower and her food taken care of she had no qualm about spending coin on fine silks, and maybe an armoire for all her new dresses.

They soon found a shop with a few finely wrought dresses on display and Jagen veered inside. The assistants putting up a dress by the door and the ones farther in the back, some sewing away and others with needles in their mouths while taking measurements. A woman was being fitted in the back but the proprietress walked over and smiled, "Please be welcome, Aes Sedai, how many I help you?"

"I'm here to order some new garments," Jagen said. "I would like twenty dresses. I want fifteen silk and the other five a fine wool. I also want three cloaks," as she went on the proprietress motioned for one of her assistants to come over to take note of what was to be ordered, "one lined with fur, one plain and of wool, and the other silk, decorated." The assistant brought her to the back to be measured. She removed her plain red dress and the shawl, thinking on what dresses she would get.

Another assistant grabbed a piece of paper, ink and quill to write everything down. The seamstress tried making suggestions but Jagen politely over-rode her. "Thank you for your suggestions, Adriena, I know what I want though." Well, that was as polite as she would get with her. She ordered three dresses of white with red trim. One was of a Tar Valon cut and the other were Taraboner cut, one decorated with roses and the other with scroll work. All three were silk. Of the five wool ones, she ordered one brown dress, plainly cut but fine, two yellow, and the others a deep red. Of the other twelve dresses, most were a deep crimson, most Taraboner cut with one Andoran and the rest Tar Valon style. But two dresses she ordered specially. One was black slashed with red with roses and green vines. The other was a bright red but over it went a soft transparent gauze of black with bell sleeves and a skirt that pooled around her feet.

With the order made and paid for, the two walked out and to a store only right across the street to a leather and shoe shop. There Jagen made a quick order of five pairs of slippers--two white with red scrollwork, one black pair and two crimson--and two pairs of traveling boots. She also ordered five fine belts.

After their second stop Jagen walked out into the street with her, taking in the sight. It was an odd feeling to know she could leave the city if she wanted. But she didn't feel too different either. No, she couldn't leave. She had too much to do. "Lillian, what do you know about Vera Sedai of the Gray?"

The more Jagen spoke, the more Lillian began to get a feel for how she thought and more specifically, how much she had considered what she was speaking of.  It wasn't something that had been considered lightly, and she was thinking about not only how to quickly achieve her goal, but the best way to do so.  That was an important consideration for Lillian, and to see it mirrored by Jagen was a good sign.  And she was prepared to work within the Tower, with those who were in training.  The thought of pushing them worried Lillian, she had taken a full thirty years to master her limited powers.  But then, her training hadn't just been with the power, it had been politics, bearing, history and dozens of other disciplines she had been exposed to, and she'd taken her time to study every single one of them.

With the Dragon in the world, with the downward spiral the world was taking, there wouldn't be time to produce the Aes Sedai needed in the manner that it was done.  Where they were prepared to serve throughout the world for many years, now they needed to prepare for the final battle that was approaching with dizzying speed.  In the face of the end of the world, the priorities of the Tower would need to shift accordingly or face the threat of being swept away altogether.

But for now, Lillian kept her silence as they left the inn even as she made a note to herself that she owed Jagen a drink at a later point.  First to a seamstress where Jagen stopped to buy a series of dresses.  Lillian was surprised at the array of dresses though the fact that Jagen knew exactly what she wanted made her smile.  Clearly Jagen had been planning for this day for sometime, though she wondered if she realised that dressing all in red was simply changing one uniform in for another.  While Lillian usually wore white in the Tower, even there she made a habit of wearing dresses of different colours.  It had occasioned jokes about how Lillian was changing Ajah, especially from those who had read her work, but they were for the most part jest rather than a more vindictive flavour of jab.

By the time it was done, Lillian had to say she was amused by the whole process.  Her own collection of clothing had been a bit more spontaneous.  That Jagen paid full price surprised her though, Lillian would have to take the time to explain haggling to her later.  There proved to be little time to do that as they walked across the street and new shoes were bought.  A couple of sets of boots appealed to her, but she already knew who to go and see when it came to durable boots that didn't stand out but lasted a lifetime.

On the street once more, it was Jagen who broke the silence between them as she asked about Vera.  "Vera?  She is a good friend of mine and has been for over forty years since I was an Accepted.  She was one of the few sisters who decided to help me without an agenda, or simply to try and recruit me to the Gray Ajah.  I not only trust her to watch my back, but to keep anything I say to her private and she has done both over the years.  If I had to name five sisters that I trusted without fault, she would be amongst those five."

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

Jagen smiled. "Good, I'll take your word for it. Then she will be among the Sisters I chose to accompany me, if and when it comes to this." Then she explained farther, "Vera brought me to the Tower all the way from Tarabon. I think it would be nice to do business with her again."

Her own business concluded Jagen lead them back toward the Tower, making a note that the next time she ventured out to buy something it would probably be a horse.

"If I may, I heard that you once wrote a very... unique... paper an presented it to the Tower through open hands--having heard some things but getting a copy myself, may I read it, if you still have a copy? I think I would like to take a look at it. It would make for good discussions, yes?"

Smiling at the mention of her paper, Lillian shrugged at the suggestion.  "When I wrote the paper, I had minimal contact with the outside world.  Likewise, there is a lot of information that you are not privy to until you become an Aes Sedai.  The information and experience I've gained over the years have helped alter some of the things I wrote.  Add ontop of that the changes in the past few years, the paper isn't as pertinent as it once was as it advocated a very slow process of change when it came to the Tower."

"Having said that, a lot of what I wrote in that paper I still believe in.  Most of the things I would change would be how I had planned to implement a number of my changes, though the core of it still remains example.  If you can't act in the way that you advocate, you can't expect others to follow suit after all.  Its very much a case of 'do as I do' rather than 'do as I say'."

Passing through the inner gates onto the White Tower grounds, Lillian waved to the Tower Guard on duty as she continued.  "I think I have a couple of copies floating about still, it got rewritten a few times since it caused such a stir.  I'll get one of those copies to you at one point.  Essentially, its a paper about where the Tower is weak and what we need to do to strengthen it.  I also placed a heavy emphasis on how interdependent the Tower was with the world, including how we were entirely too dependent on our alliances with other nations to guarantee our safety.  It would seem inappropriate to wave it about at a few people I've known over the years and say 'I told you so' so I generally don't bring that point up."

Stopping before the Tower, Lillian turned and smiled at Jagen.  "I have a few other things I must attend to today, but perhaps we could catch up later?  If I manage to see Estel before then I can organise that meeting as well, if you're still interested?"

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

"Please do so contact her, Lillian. Thank you for your talk today. Of course, I trust this will be between only us?" At the White sister's nod she smiled,  "I just wanted to make sure. Thank you again."

As Jagen made her way back to the Tower she thought about what Lillian said on her paper. It seemed logical to make such a report and hand it out--carefully of course. But she knew she'd want to read it. Perhaps between Lillian and herself, with perhaps Vera and whoever else she decided to involve, they could change the Tower. This was her first goal. She thought training needed to be sped up and not so lenient, a question she had brought up the Amyrlin already. The world was changing and they needed to catch up.

Jagen decided that instead of going toward her room, she'd pay a visit to the head of the Red's Eyes and Ears. She wanted to have a long talk about what was going on in the world so she could have a clear picture of exactly what was happening out there. Rumors flew about Dumai's Wells and Jagen wondered if it was truly horrific as everyone said. What if the Dragon could never be approached by the Tower? And what if male channelers continued to fight Aes Sedai? Was she being unrealistic? "But I just can't see any other way," she whispered to herself, tones of frustration in her voice. "I will wait as long as I have to to make this possible. But in the end things must calm. They can't go on killing forever, right?"

The guards at the Tower's Gate looked at her and she frowned, not caring if she was seen talking to herself. Sometimes thinking aloud helped and she wanted her wits about her.