DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Songs in WoT: what, no melodies?

I'm wondering if anyone's yet composed melodies to go along with the songs in the Wheel of Time? I've found myself at times thinking such-and-such a melody would fit Mat's lyrics in TLoC, though I haven't got around to doing anything with my musings. And likewise, humming a melody to the plainchant spear songs of the Aiel - I learnt one Maori chant - Te Tau o Matatua  - when I was learning the Maori language in the 1980s. And the Aiel battle songs seem quite like the Maori chant. |That is, it wouldn't have a wide range, and would be very rhythmic, and so on.

The Aiel seem to have significant influence from the Zulu (or at least the western perception of the Zulu).  They are a society of warriors from a desert area that use a shield and a brace of short handled, long bladed spears that can be thrown or used hand to hand.  In the movie Zulu, the final scene is rather iconic and concludes with the Zulu warriors singing a tribute song that is rather melodic.  This scene is probably not historically accurate, but may have influenced RJ's perception of the Zulu and their culture and music.  Perhaps an interesting influence to consider if trying to bring Aiel music to life.  Of course, that isn't a battle song so much as a post battle song, so it may be very musically different.   

• RP - PLAYER
Posted (edited)

Here is some Zulu music from Solomon Linda. It might sound familiar. Mbube is lion in Zulu.

https://youtu.be/mrrQT4WkbNE?si=QUeC6ROia3hIhUdi

YouTube links hate me. Or I'm stupid, even chances, I suppose.

Edited by HeavyHalfMoonBlade

So after I searched up that clip, YouTube thinks I am really into learning about the Zulu. And today I learned that “wash the spears” is a Zulu phrase meaning to wash your spear in the blood of an enemy.

The Zulus live very far from any desert! LoL ... they live in the eastern part of South Africa, which is sub-tropical.

23 hours ago, Samt said:

“wash the spears” is a Zulu phrase meaning to wash your spear in the blood of an enemy.

Yes 🙂

13 minutes ago, Elgee said:

The Zulus live very far from any desert! LoL ... they live in the eastern part of South Africa, which is sub-tropical.

Yes 🙂

I’m obviously quite ignorant on the subject.  The movie looks like a desert.