DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Teaching a Clan Chief Manners (Ghaul, Nephuria, Covina)

Eqwina

Covina’s gray eyes followed the others as they filed from the tent. The girl still tried to shield herself from prying eyes, but she was not longer Covina’s concern. She hoped that the right choice had been made; Cor would do what he must but who knew what repercussions this would have.

Ghaul was making his way to the door, and a looked passed quickly between Nephuria and Covina. She could not make herself like the woman as fully as she should but today they shared a common goal. Perhaps it was the fact the woman was also a former Maiden of the Spear and had not given up her foolish pride. Quickly she moved her fingers and Nephuria’s flashed in response. It should not have been done, but here alone there was no real harm.

Ghaul had walked his own path too long, it was past time the man had a wife. Covina’s eyes widened in shock; where had that thought crept from?

“Ghaul, we need to speak with you a moment”

As if Nephuria could read her mind the woman moved to block the tent opening, and Covina stepped up behind Ghaul. Both woman were tall but the clan chief still towered over them.

Two Gai’Shain hustled by the three, still standing there unmoving. They set the tea and spiced wine on the table, and arranged the cushions on the floor. There work was done quickly and they made an exit without the threesome stirring. Covina’s eyes were shooting daggers at Ghaul and he matched it stare for stare, it was Nephuria that broke the silence.

“ Let us sit we have matters to discuss”

Covina took her time pouring the tea, before sitting down. She also made a point of straitening her skirts with exaggerated slowness before motioning Nephuria to speak.

Nephuria's mood was dark. A wetlander gai'shain in there camp. The Car'a'carn would be displeased if he knew, but there were things men did not need to know, with that man it was sometimes more so. Dat'sang. The woman was dat'sang. Nephuria already planned to find the woman and start her on hole digging, if nothing else perhaps it would break some of the weakness of her limbs and legs. Putting the thoughts of the travesty that just occurred out of her mind she watched as the room was emptied.

Covina looked over at her and Nephuria knew there minds had hit the same target. Maiden handtalk passed quickly between them, where none could see, none could object.

"Ghaul, we need to speak with you a moment." Covina was speaking to the Clan Chief's back, and Nephuria knew he was about to walk out anyway. Quickly she sidestepped him and blocked the exit. Her hands went to her fleshy hips and her set was stubborn. The light of the Power surrounded her, and she could feel saidar coursing through her veins.

She spoke without any of the heat she felt in her voice. "Let us sit, we have matters to discuss." She was prepared to make the Clan Chief sit and listen if he intended to act like a stubborn mule.

Covina took her time pouring the tea, before sitting down. She also made a point of straitening her skirts with exaggerated slowness before motioning Nephuria to speak. Nephuria poured herself a small cup of cool water from one of the sweating pitchers before looking up with eyes that yelled 'I will not deal with this nonsense.'

Ghaul took his seat across from the two women, and Nephuria nearly sighed with relief, nearly. The man could be as stubborn as a bull. And more prideful than a Thunder Walker on a mission. "You push us Ghaul, and you do it on purpose. We tier of your games. There is a reason men fear to walk where Wise Ones tread, a reason I think you have yet to learn. Ghaul, do not give us reason to make you learn it, we need little excuse."

Nephuria's demeanor went from threatening to that of an older sister chastising a rogue youth. It was hard to explain the relationship between Wise Ones and Clan Chiefs, but it was always an onerous task to keep them in check. Looking to Covina, Nephuria waited for her to speak, with two Wise Ones it was always good to be on your toes. They would hit him from two sides one after another, wearing him down, try to at any rate, before getting to there true intention.

Ghaul half wondered what this day had instored for him yet. Perhaps he was going to walk out the tent and find himself in Rhuidean again, or what was left of it after the Car'a'carn re-visited it. Or would he be in Dumai Wells again, the Stone of Tear Jingai's Pass or perhaps the whole Rogue Guild would appear and wait patiently in line to be taken captive. It was days like today that he wondered how much of the Car'a'carn's ... talents the Aiel can keep pretend that they do not exsist. Because they certainly did exsist, and they effected the Aiel in more ways than they could imagine. Still whatever was waiting for him outside of the tent, it would have to wait, as Nephuria stood in the Clan Chief's path.

"Ghaul, we need to speak to you for a moment" - Covina's voice came from behind him.

So, the Wise Ones wanted a word with him? A smile appeared on his face. Yes, this was to be an eventful day. And having already stepped on the Wise Ones toes, or actually jumped with both feet on them, the least he could do is listen. True, giving the Clan Chief a headache was the Wise Ones favourite pass time, but still Ghaul listened to what they have to say, even though he did not always heed their words.

"Let is sit, we have matters to discuss" - Nephuria was quick to move in. Obviously she would be the first one to speak.

Ghaul sat down across the two women and made himself comfortable

"In that case, Covina, I am all ears"

It was hard to say was she shocked from his reply or from something else. Covina took a lot of time time to straighten her skirts, Ghaul has not seen her that nervous arround him since the morning after that dream of his. Nephuria on the other side, looked like she was about to expload like a a piece pf an Illuminator's Candle. Obviously she was to speak first.And so she did, after pouring herself some tea.

"You push us Ghaul, and you do it on purpose. We tier of your games. There is a reason men fear to walk where Wise Ones tread, a reason I think you have yet to learn. Ghaul, do not give us reason to make you learn it, we need little excuse."

On the outside Ghaul remained calm, but on the inside he was smiling. It always made him smile how the Wise Ones tried to talk him down the way a mother would to her son. The relations between the Clan Chief and the Wise Ones were indeed like family ties, which was not so dificuilt to imagine when you take into consideration that all Clan Chiefs had at least one wife that was a Wise One.

"I know how to treat the Wise Ones properly, Nephuria, I have learned that a long time ago. You are right however, I do push you. I push all however - Wise Ones, Apprentices, Trainees, Warriors, Society Leaders, I push myself too. Dire time require dire measures, Nephuria, and these are indeed dire times. we are at war with the treekillers that call themselves the Rogue Guild, a war which we can win in a day, but a war which we must fight according to the Car'a'carn wishes." - Ghaul sipped some of the tea Covina poured him. It was quite good. - "I push you yes, but I have not pushed you over the line, and I do not intend to. An internal conflict is the last thing the Aiel need right now."

Ghaul

Men were a challenge put on this earth to teach women patience. It seemed at times Ghaul was meant to be her very own battle. She wondered if the man stayed up at night thinking of ways to make her miserable. Unfortunately Covina knew all to well what filled Ghaul’s thoughts at night. Her cheeks heated with memories of how her saw her; she put on a stern face and hoped they both took it anger. A flash in Ghaul’s eyes said her suspected something more.

She could see by his speech that they were losing ground and fast. At times a man needed a gentle touch to make him feel secure in his place; and at others a firm hand was necessary. With Ghaul it was almost always necessary to be firm.

Covina eyed Ghaul with all the calm of a lion on the hunt. His speech was proper and could not offend even the prickliest; but she saw what lay behind his eyes.

"I push you yes, but I have not pushed you over the line, and I do not intend to. An internal conflict is the last thing the Aiel need right now."

Did he dare suggest that herself or Nephuria would want any such thing? His eyes held no anger which grated Covina even more. It was time Ghaul learned what most knew from birth.

“Ghaul for too long you have skimmed the edge with us, you balance your words on the very edge of propriety and expect us accept!” Her voice had taken on a heat but it was too late to turn back now. “It is past time for you to learn to tread lightly where Wise Ones walk, and learn to no longer treat us as an obstacle that must be tolerated.” Nephuria’s head nodded in agreement and Covina could see the words burning to escape. Taking a sip of her tea she allowed Nephuria a chance to speak; perhaps this woman is truly more that Covina had first expected. The former spear sister had earned much respect in Covina’s eyes.

Nephuria gave a moment to sipping her drink before picking up where Covina left off. She would give the man no chance to come up with more quick answers with nothing logical to back them up. He would have them talking in circles if they allowed it, ending the conversation exactly where it had begun, accomplishing nothing.

"You dare to push us Ghaul? What is it you think we Wise Ones are here for? To look pretty and strut around looking important? You seem to want to take all of the credit for every move the Aiel make. Partially this is your burden to carry, but by and large it is not. We are the ones to hold the Clans together. We walk the Dream where it is no longer safe, just to ensure that our people are where they need to be and taken care of. You presume to say that we do not work hard enough and in turn need a man to urge us along like small children? Do I look like a child to you Ghaul? Should I braid my hair and hike my skirts so I may run for the Clan Chief since he seems to be all knowing and have the answers to what the Aiel should do next?"

Nephuria's eyes were fire by the time she was done speaking, but the heat did not reflect into her voice. She sat cross legged, next to a woman she was coming to like, and a man who she knew had good intention but was to bull headed to listen to reason by half. A quagmire surrounding a large bubbling mess that was the Aiel peoples situation.

"You presume to say you push us Ghaul? Do you think we need pushing? Do you not think that if we thought we could fix some of this mess, we would not do it?! Do you think we do not push ourselves, push each other? Do you really think we need the meddling of a Clan Chief to make us hurry? No, we do not. As A matter of fact you seem to make things harder at every turn." Nephuria paused a moment there, a finger to her bottom lip in thought. Perhaps the Clan Chief would do better with a wife, a Wise One wife, to keep track of him. It wasn't the first time such thoughts crossed her mind, but for the first time, she seriously considered.

Ghaul spoke, but one thing in particular stood out in Nephuria's mind. "Dire time require dire measures, Nephuria, and these are indeed dire times. We are at war with the treekillers that call themselves the Rogue Guild, a war which we can win in a day, but a war which we must fight according to the Car'a'carn wishes."

She had paused for a long moment before adding in the most dangerous voice she had come out with tonight. "You think we would have already won this war if the Car'a'carn let us raid the city and take prisoner, all those who call themselves members of a Guild? No, it would cause mass anarchy, not even the Car'a'carn could stop. The People of the town would revolt. Our spears are many, but with there military and civilian persons we would lose a great many spears. More than I would be willing to trade for one small wetlander city." She paused, taking a breath. "Watch your tongue when it come to matters of the Car'a'carn. He is still in Wise One hands."

This was starting to get mighty familiar. Ghaul wondered now if there was a pattern that tha Pattern followed. It certainly seemed so with the Wise Ones. Ghaul could understand the force of old habbits but this was too much, even by Aiel standards. Still there was something oddly amusing about this. Here he was, sitting with two Wise Ones who were seriously bent on giving him the sharp edge of their tounge, and expected him to be effected. Well in a way he was, on the inside he was smiling. On the outside however, he was as calm as a frozen lake. Rhianna, his mentor at the Hama N'dore, from who he later 'inherited' the title of Society Leader as she became a roofmisters, and who later adopted Ghaul, said that he could teach even the cliffs how to be calm. And how to be stubborn too, but that was another matter. Taking another sip of the tea during Nephuria's tirade and making a mental note he waited patiently until she was done.

"First of all - that's a lovely batch of tea you have here, Wise Ones, I should ask you for the recipe once this is done. But first back to business. If the only way you can thing of winning this is by a direct frontal assault, Nephuria, then you have a lot to learn about warfare. There are more than one way to make a gara stew you know. Most of the ideas I presented to the Car'a'carn would have brought us victory with little to no casualties. That victory however, would spell the compleate destruction of Cairhien. And while the treekillers do deserve death, the consequences for the Car'a'carn would be dire. To us, he is the Car'a'carn and He Who Comes with Dawn. To the wetlanders though he is something else. You both have been to Rhuidean, you know what I mean. The destruction of Cairhien would spell death for his hopes of uniting the people on this side of the Dragonwall to face their, our actually, common enemy. He would be left with only us, the People of the Dragon, his spear. The spear, not just one of the many. And I do not know about you, Wise Ones, but I think that even united as we are now, in which I do not question your role as mediators but it is mostly due to the Car'a'carn, that we can have an easy time taking over the whole continent, one nation after the other."

The Wise Ones gazes hardened, if it was possible. Ghaul however ignored them and continued. They wanted a talk and they would get one. But it would be a dialouge, since Ghaul did not intend to only be lectured

"So you're not children to be guided constantly? Well one would have expected from responsible adults that they would think of what their actions would cause. Have you ever thought of what the consequences be of your constant lectures, Wise Ones? Has it ever dawned on you that warriors and Society Leaders are not chidlren? That us Clan Chiefs are not warmongers who think only how to get rid of that or this clan? That we are not all Shaido? I gave you a taste of your own medicine Wise Ones, and I suggest that if you want me or any other clan chief and warrior to change their attitude towards you you should change your attitude towards us"

A new approach when dealing with Ghaul was necessary; but perhaps a lion in full charge was too harsh. True the man was as stubborn as the Three Fold Land and anger only made him calmer; but Nephuria was taking this too far. Calmer heads would prevail.

Covina studied Ghaul with interest as Nephuria’s tirade washed over him; and she felt an inkling of respect form for the man. Few could stand up to such a tongue lashing and show not a hint of emotion. She found herself admiring his broad shoulders, and her eyes lingered more than a moment on his chest. As her eyes climbed his hard form Covina was surprised to see Ghaul’s eyes meet hers. Quickly her eyes hardened and she fixed him with a stare that had sent many a man away properly chastised. Again no reaction showed in his eyes, but she thought a smile touched his lips.

This conversation had taken a turn away from what Covina had intended. Worries over the Car’a’carn were trouble that infested all of their lives daily, and true they all worried about the spears but those problems were to be discussed another time, Covina’s agenda today was her own.

Covina leaned, placing her hands on her knees; and sat forward. For a moment her eyes shot daggers at everything in their path, and then she was the epitome of calm. “ I applaud you Ghaul, your efforts at dodging the issue at hand never cease to amaze me.; I agree with a whole heart that we need to be a united front publicly,  but that is not what I brought you here to speak of!” She stood, staring down at Ghaul her fists firmly on her hips. “Nephuria will you leave us please! Ghaul and I have matters to discuss, and I will not shame him by revealing them to all!”

Nephuria's back was very straight as she sat and listened to the torrent of words Ghaul tried to run together into some warped version of sense. He thought he would give them a taste of there own medicine? She had dealt with many stubborn men in her lifetime, but there were few she enjoyed as much as this one.  The Clan Chief thought much of himself, much indeed, to try and lecture Wise Ones.

Nephuria sat for a moment before speaking, her tone measured and easy "If you speak to me in that manner again, Ghaul, I will paddle you like the child you are. Not to myself or any Wise One. We deserve more than that." Her voice was quiet, it did not go beyond the edges of the rug they sat upon, it was for Ghaul, and she did not care for all to hear it.

She did not explain herself, she did not have to. Nephuria agreed with Ghaul and knew he was well intended for his people, but sometimes it took one with farther sight to truly see what must be done. Suddenly Nephuria understood something, it was as if a few pieces of a useless puzzle suddenly came together. 

Her gaze never shifted from his face but from the corner of her eye she saw Covina move, leaning forward. She focused on her, mentally noting the chain of events, “ I applaud you Ghaul, your efforts at dodging the issue at hand never cease to amaze me.; I agree with a whole heart that we need to be a united front publicly,  but that is not what I brought you here to speak of!” She stood, staring down at Ghaul her fists firmly on her hips.  “Nephuria will you leave us please! Ghaul and I have matters to discuss, and I will not shame him by revealing them to all!”

Nephuria took her time to gather herself before standing and walking toward the exit. "Covina, perhaps you will come to the sweat tent tonight after things are done?" Nephuria didn't wait for an answer, she left the two in the room, Ghaul looking angry and Covina looking angrier.

A knowing look lit Nephuria’s eyes as she left the room; but Covina was committed to her course and would not be dissuaded. Still her eyes followed the Wise One as she left, but then she rounded on the seemingly unperturbed Clan Chief. Her white blonde hair swung as she spoke, and she had a finger pointed down at Ghaul.

“There was a time, Clan Chief, where I danced where you pointed and I did so with out question, but that time has passed. My days as Far Dareis Mai are long behind me but I fear you still see me that way. ‘ Her voice was laden with scorn she could not conceal. “ Many..things..have passed between us over the years” Her face colored turning the very shade of that crimson dress she had worn….No that HE had made her wear! “ I considered you a friend but that does not mean that proper respect towards me is not due!” Her voice had elevated to a scream and she could feel her usually iron hard grip on her emotions slipping.

She embraced Saidar and for a moment the whole world shook with clarity. Covina wove a ward against eaves dropping and channeled to bring her tea to her. Such flamboyant displays with the power were seldom seen among Wise Ones but with her anger just barely in check Covina did not care.

”Ghaul…” She turned to him, her gray eyes considering “Do you think that I..we enjoy being forced into these discussions with you? There are many other things that should be consuming our days.” Covina paused, having regained some of her compsure her face an unreadable mask. “ I do not wish to have this discussion again Ghaul, I want you to promise not to step on anymore Wise One’s toes and stop seeing me as a Maiden in cadin’sor or a woman in a red…..” Her voice trailed off and she struggled to maintain composure. She had said too much…being careless with your tongue always brought consequences.

First there was a wetlander Gai'Shan, then Covina trying to pierce his skin with her gaze, and now Neupheria threatening to paddle him if the Clan Chief ever stood his ground again. Ah yes, this was most definatly an amusing day. And as Nephuria walked away Ghaul doubted that all of this was over. There was still Covina, who seemed ready to thwap him on the head with something heavy and then there was Nephuria's last word to her to consider. Yes, this was not going to end today.

As he though, his lecturing was not done with Nephuria's exit. Covina moved in to fill in and Ghaul had never seen her so emotional, not even when she got caught in his dream back then. Something was bothering her, and it was not him. Well, at least not the way he behaved today, it was something else and Ghaul could not yet putt his finger on it exactly. Covina made a pause to calm herself and did something. Ghaul was not quiter sure what, but it seemed to be related to the One Power, than she continued again. Her speach ended in an unusual way - with a slip up. To stop seing her as a Maiden in Cadin'sor or as a woman in a red dress? Mentioning that dress Ghaul saw her in in his dream? That happened about as often as blizzards in the Three Fold Land. Covina's face turned red, as red as the dress she was wearing. Ghaul smiled. It was time for him to 'retaliate'

"Who has said that I do not respect you, Covina, or any Wise One for that matter? However, in order for me to show respect, you should show some respect in return. Not to step on the Wise Ones toes? Good idea, but why do the Wise Ones jump on mine constantly? Like I said before - today, I gave you, wise ones the same treatment I have been reciving from you ever since I came back from Rhuidean, and you did not like it at all, and I do not like it either. You want me to promise never to act like this again? Can you promise me, that if I give you my word to behave arround you and the other Wise Ones, that you all will do the same towards me? Can you Covina?"

It was now Covina's turn to be silent. Ghaul knew that what he said has made it through to her, it always did. Unlike most Wise Ones, Covina actually listened to what Ghaul or the other Chiefs had to say.

"As for seeing you as a woman in a red dress" - Ghaul's voice dropped to a gentle whispered and Covina's face was on fire again. - " I often see you in that dress in my dreams. You do look amazing in it, Covina"

There was nothing but truth in his words

A slip so small and yet it had ruined everything. Redressing the balance would not be easy after this.

Wise One’s jumped on his toes? How was she to ever explain to the man that they jumped only after he had over stepped the bounds of propriety. It seemed as if these meetings would continue on without end, until they all had heads of gray, and possibly beyond.

Ghaul wanted a promise from her she could not give. She had taken a chance today, making that wetlander Gai’shan, she did not see the girl as any better than da’stang either but she stood behind her choice. Change was something they would all have to cope with. She could not promise to simply stand by while time and time again Ghaul skirted the edge with Wise Ones.

Covina knew her rise to power so young was unheard of; which was why her temper never faltered and she never had to raise her voice. People listened when she spoke..all except Ghaul, and the why of it became abundantly clear.

"As for seeing you as a woman in a red dress" - Ghaul's voice dropped to a gentle whispered and Covina's face was on fire again. - " I often see you in that dress in my dreams. You do look amazing in it, Covina"

Covina’s cheeks flushed with anger and embarrassment and her mouth hung open. The silver tea cub hit the floor, spilling tea over the layered rugs and her skirts as well. “The stains will never come out” she muttered in a voice barely audible. Her hands twitched with the urge to grip her skirts but she stilled them and forced herself to meet Ghaul’s gaze.

His eyes held a light she had never before see, and her heart soared.

Covina had spent her childhood knowing she would grow up to be Far Dareis Mai, and had spent her years as a Maiden knowing she would be that until she died…Her fate had taken her in a path she had never expected but she had finally embraced being a Wise One with her whole heart. Never in all those years had she thought of herself as a woman. Knowing that Ghaul thought of her that way made her eyes pop with shock.

Along with her shock was anger; it boiled deep inside her and she was sure it was reflected in her eyes. She had meant for her voice to commanding but she could only utter a whisper. “How dare you Ghaul…..you have no right! That dream..it was, it was a dream, and one many years gone!” Her voice picked up intensity and she began to fume. “I am your equal and your friend; you have no right to view me in that light!”

Her veins seemed to coarse with fire and she walked until she was standing toe to toe with the taller man . His look was so open and so..loving. Her emotions roared and it was more than Covina could take! Her hand flew up and connected with his cheek. Covina’s blow did not even phase the clan chief but Covina felt shame to her bone.

And he thought he knew Covina. He supposed she'll just glare at him and give him another lecture for wanting from her a promise she can not make. He did not at all expect the reaction he got. He has never seen Covina so furious, and there was a time when he was trying his all to make her angry. Why was it that a simple compliment brought up this? Something was not right here. Perhaps he should have kept his mouth shut about the dream. But it was true. Many nights he dreamed of Covina in that dress, even more nights he just dreamt of her - talking, laughing, just being together like the times they were out on raids. And it was not in his nature to keep quiet about thing that are true. He could see Covina walking toward him, looking like what the wetlanders called a thundercloud. It was easy to read what was to happen next but he did not move a muscle to stop her slap connecting, or to move to avoid. The chief remained like a statue - just as motionless and just as uneffected by the slap.

"I guess I deserved that. On more than one account." - Ghaul's eyes concentrated on Covina's - " I believe this is the first time I see you this angry, Covina, and it is not because of me always being on the edge of acceptable behavior with the Wise Ones, is it?"

Covina seemed to have lost her ability to speak for a while. Obviously she was in shock from what he has said and from what she has just done.

"Is there something else you wish to tell me, Covina?"

Covina’s sun tanned face colored with embarrassment and shame. Her toned arms hung limp at her sides but she forced them to grasp her belt knife. She tried hard to gather herself but still she could not meet the Clan Chiefs eyes.

For a time she stood there with her eyes down cast, struggling within her for a way to regain balance. The answer was blaringly obvious but could she bring herself? Covina was a woman alone; she had resisted the pressures of others to force her to marry and had stood her ground. Spending all of her life as a Maiden she had never considered a man as any more than a spear..and now. Images of a bridal wreath flashed bright in her head and Ghaul’s approving look as she danced in that dress made her face flush with color. It was a dream, it had only been a dream, it was…. She could not think of the Clan Chief in that way! She glanced up and saw that Ghaul’s face had not changed a whit.

“ I have toh Ghaul, you may use the knife or a strap” With her eyes still down cast she held up her knife to Ghaul. “It is my toh to meet but the choice of how is yours” She laid her knife in his upturned hand and stripped down to her shift, but Ghaul had still not moved. Surely he would not make her beg to meet her toh?! That would shame her beyond any recovery.

So Covina waited with her eyes on the floor. She looked more humble in that moment that she ever had before in time out of memory.

Claiming to have toh towards him, and even offering her life as payment for the toh - as expected of an ex-Maiden, though sometimes Ghaul wondered how proper the ex is. Maiden did take toh seriously, as seriously as the Stone Dogs, in this case however, things were differnt. Ghaul took the knife, and in a motion too fast to follow put it back where it belonged - on Covina's belt

"You have no toh towards me Covina" - he said.

However Covina still kept her eyes down.Ghaul almost sighed. Maidens were too stubborn for their own good sometimes. Gently and slowly, with just a few finger, Ghaul lifted up Covina's chin until her eyes met his.

"There, that's much better" - he smiled, a warm smile which very very rarely appeared on his face. Standing close to her he just kept smiling. - "And you know Covina, your eyes are quite enchanting when they are not trying to pierce me like a volley of arrows"

She flinched as his hands thrust forward with the knife. She would not move or scream if he went for the throat but she could not help but twitch with surprise. When the knife was slipped back behind her belt Covina’s eye widened with shock but she did not look up.

"You have no toh towards me Covina" Ghaul said, his voice carrying an incredible amount caring. His voice had a soft edge that was uncommon in the Clan Chief

When Covina saw his face curve into a hardly seen smile she knew beyond any doubt the feelings she had denied for so long. She knew that the joy that was in his eyes was reflected in her own. Her eyes searched deeply in his for something of the love that flowed from her.

“…… your eyes are quite enchanting when they are not trying to pierce me like a volley of arrows" That was all of his words that reached her ears but they were enough.

Covina Arin Radic did something in that moment that she had never before done in her life. With an unsteady hand she reached up and pulled his head down to hers for a kiss. As his strong arms laced around her waist Covina felt as if she were flying; and images of Ghaul’s smiling face filled her mind. For a time she floated, relishing in his kiss, refusing to let any thoughts but Ghaul enter her mind.

When her feet finally reached the floor her knees were weak and she had to lean against Ghaul’s chest for support. When she was able to stand on her own she pulled away just enough to tilt her head up and look into his eyes. “For years I have looked at you with my eyes and seen nothing but a Clan Chief, but today I looked from my heart and I see something more” Covina’s voice was shaking but she made herself continue. “ I see you as a man, a man as strong as the Threefold land and as stubborn as the rocks that make up our hold. Ghaul Targaryen for too many years I refused to see with anything but my eyes, but now that I see clearly I have something I must say.” She stepped back and clasped both of his hands between her own. “ I love you Ghaul Targaryen, you are the shade of my heart”

Covina’s cold heart fluttered with its first tinges of love, and suddenly she felt as warm as the noon day sun, and as content as a sleeping babe.

Well today was a day certainly filled with shocks and surprises, this one however was far more pleasant than anyother he had recived today. Once the initial shock from Covina's reaction has passed, Ghaul was actually prepared for another slap but got the kiss instead, his arms moved on pure instics, and wrapped arround her waist. Slowly, he got up, bringing Covina up with him, not braking the kiss, but answering it instead. Once their lips part, Covina just leaned against him, seeing as hesitant to let go as the clan chief himself. As she pulled a bit from him and looked up, Ghaul noticed flames in her eyes, but quite different from the one before. She was no longer trying to roast him, sort of speak, she was trying to give him all the warmth of her heart.

For years I have looked at you with my eyes and seen nothing but a Clan Chief, but today I looked from my heart and I see something more” Covina’s voice was shaking but she made herself continue. “ I see you as a man, a man as strong as the Threefold land and as stubborn as the rocks that make up our hold. Ghaul Targaryen for too many years I refused to see with anything but my eyes, but now that I see clearly I have something I must say.” She stepped back and clasped both of his hands between her own.  “ I love you Ghaul Targaryen, you are the shade of my heart”

Well here was something he thought he will never hear from Covina! It was not a secret to neither of them, ever since she dreamwalked into his dreams during her training as a Wise One, that Ghaul had strong feelings for Covina, most probably as strong as the ones he has for Talbitha. But he never imagined that Covina would feel the same about him. To hear her admit it only made Ghaul's smile grow wider.

"And here I was thinking that I will never live long enough to hear you say that, Shade of my Heart"

With that he winked and pulled her into a kiss that once again consumed their world

Their embrace may have only lasted moments, or it could have gone on a year. For Covina no one else in the world existed but the two of them. The fire that burned within her only raged hotter with every moment that passed. Everything she had ever known was laid askew; it was if her entire life had been a pale copy of what she now saw.

Releasing her sun tanned arms from Ghaul’s neck Covina pulled away and took a moment to straighten her skirts. Her voice carried a musical note that had never before been heard and it only made Covinas' smile wider. [i] “I could spend my life wrapped in your arms, Shade of my Heart, but you have duties I am sure you need to attend to and I expect that there is more than one Wise One that wishes to have a word with me.”[/i] Covina reached up and laid a hand on Ghaul cheek. ”You will make my life very hard won’t you my heart?” She chuckled and stroked his cheek.

It came to Covina that she had no idea where to go from here. She had never before allowed herself to admit feelings of love, and she had always considered herself far to busy to lay with a man.

Her cheek colored slightly at her last thought and she attempted to cover with a smile. When it came to matters of the heart and other such personal things Covina was as untrained as a newly recruited Maiden. Covina felt the desire to hide her shame at her inexperience but when she looked into Ghaul’s eyes she was unable to lie. “Shade of my heart I must be honest, I am.. inexperienced in matters.. such as these, you will forgive me if I stumble” her voice cracked at the end, but she made herself look into his eyes. “ Perhaps tonight you can come dine with me? I have been told I am an above average cook”

It was tying Covina’s stomach in knots to be the one asking the questions, she was used to speaking and being obeyed. “I can cook whatever you wish, I mean I can cook whatever I can find..I..” Covina sighed. She had spent so many years denying feelings she had no idea how to keep them in balance.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh she certainly had that right! Ghaul's smile was so wide that it got Covina to look at him suspiciously. Looking at her, he laughed and kissed her once again.

"You certainly have that right, Shade of my Heart, I will make your life quite the challange" - he kissed her again, this time pulling her close to him and holding the kiss until she was out of breath. - "But, Covina dear, I also intend to make you quite the happy woman" he said with a low voice.

Releasing her from his embrace, Ghaul pretend to be thinking long and hard on what to have for dinner. He know that he was being a tease but he could not help it. He was just as inexperienced as she was in the matters of the heart, but he could not help tease Covina a bit, he knew her well and knew that this will only make her react her just as teasingly. And so she did - she tried to punch Ghaul in the stomach. The clan chief continued the game and pretended to be mortaly wounded by her blow. That made Covina laugh sincerly and so did he.

"Well let's see. I do not think I have had a proper goat roast since we left the Three Fold Land, Shade of my Heart. If it is not too much trouble for you - can you prepare a goat roast?"