DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why isn't Turning used more by the Shadow?

EirikDaude

I seem to remember that in both cases of compulsion and turning, there is an exception (although rare) that allows for the victim to resist the force projected at them. The most obvious example probably logain regarding turning, and I think maybe nyneave was able to resist compulsion somewhat. Something like the stronger ones sense of self the more they are able to resist. I wonder if that is why the shadow doesn’t simply attempt to turn Rand by force? I’m sure there are many more nuances involved but I don’t recall this tactic ever being used on Rand or for that matter, if the resources are available and most people are susceptible, why it’s not used more 

4 hours ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

I seem to remember that in both cases of compulsion and turning, there is an exception (although rare) that allows for the victim to resist the force projected at them. The most obvious example probably logain regarding turning, and I think maybe nyneave was able to resist compulsion somewhat. Something like the stronger ones sense of self the more they are able to resist. I wonder if that is why the shadow doesn’t simply attempt to turn Rand by force? I’m sure there are many more nuances involved but I don’t recall this tactic ever being used on Rand or for that matter, if the resources are available and most people are susceptible, why it’s not used more 

Assuming we ignore recent podcasts, it is precisely Perrin’s sense of self and home that allows him to break the compulsion and kill Lanfear.  Which is also one of the biggest reasons I dislike the Lanfear reveal.  If it’s a trick, it feels really dirty to do to Perrin. It makes his entire arc a meaningless illusion.

On 3/24/2024 at 8:03 AM, Samt said:

Assuming we ignore recent podcasts, it is precisely Perrin’s sense of self and home that allows him to break the compulsion and kill Lanfear.  Which is also one of the biggest reasons I dislike the Lanfear reveal.  If it’s a trick, it feels really dirty to do to Perrin. It makes his entire arc a meaningless illusion.

I’m curious, what recent podcast? I’m not current with the podcast scene 

45 minutes ago, Lightfriendsocialmistress said:

I’m curious, what recent podcast? I’m not current with the podcast scene 

Brandon Sanderson was live with the Dusty Wheel on the AMOL 10 year anniversary and revealed a certain thing about the ending that made a lot of people go kinda floompy. You can find it on YouTube as well. But I don't think you missed it. It's got to do with Lanfear's part in the ending.

On 3/21/2024 at 11:36 PM, Sabio said:

Don;t forget only people the Shadow can turn are who can channel but anyone is vulnerable to compulsion.  So what is it about being able to channel that leaves one vulnerable?

And compulsion is way easier than Turning because you can do it with a single channeler and no Myrdraal. Honestly I think it would have been better if only channelers were vulnerable to Compulsion; non-channelers being immune to mind control would balance out a bit the immense advantages channelers hold over them in every other respect.

In regards to why the Shadow doesn't use Turning more often, there are two possible reasons:

1) They'd have to get 13 Myrdraal into the Tower to do it to a lot of people at once, which isn't exactly easy

2) Most of the Black Ajah isn't all that into actually helping the Dark One. They're more focused on their own personal aggrandisement and, pre-canon, thought the whole Last Battle businesses would take place long after they were dead. Turning the Light-side Aes Sedai would actually make them less useful to the Shadow, because those Turned Aes Sedai can now replace them for most stuff, and why would they work to make themselves redundant?