DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Netflix] The Last Kingdom

SinisterDeath

• Community Administrator

I recently started watching this show, after having it suggested... several times by @Elder_Haman.
Last night I finished Season 3, Episode 3. 

I have never read the book series it's based on, and as a stand-alone TV series I'd say it's solid.

I'd actually rank it above the Witcher in terms of Action/Drama/Plot. 
It's CGI budget is definitely lower than Witcher's CGI budget in Season 3, but that's apples to oranges.

Season 1, Episode 1 had a fantastic battle scene that really set the stage for the entire show.
Once the Danes put up their shield wall it left the audience saying: "Yeah, these British guys' are absolutely bloody fecked".

As the season's progress, you start to see how these impressively trained Danes, can be paralyzed in the face of new scenarios, tactics and techniques that are introduced...

41 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Oh, I'm so excited!! LOL

I think the relationship between Uhtred and Alfred is one of the most amazingly well-written things in all of television. I'm a little in love with David Dawson.

I'm at the point where

Spoiler

Alfred banished Uhtred, and basically called him a dishonorable oath breaker and I'm sitting there like... Didn't Alfred make a promise to Uhtred back in Season 1 to help him get Bebbanburg back after serving one year? But then reneged after Uhtred killed that thieving tree stealer on his property, and made him humiliate himself to Wessex all because of that contrived white elephant plot of land Alfred "gifted" him via his wife...

3 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

I'm at the point where

Hide contents

Alfred banished Uhtred, and basically called him a dishonorable oath breaker and I'm sitting there like... Didn't Alfred make a promise to Uhtred back in Season 1 to help him get Bebbanburg back after serving one year? But then reneged after Uhtred killed that thieving tree stealer on his property, and made him humiliate himself to Wessex all because of that contrived white elephant plot of land Alfred "gifted" him via his wife...

Such good stuff ahead! 

Alfred is such a calculating bastard, isn't he? But at the same time, I admire his commitment to his faith and his duty. I find it to be such a great portrayal of that period in history.

11 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Such good stuff ahead! 

Alfred is such a calculating bastard, isn't he? But at the same time, I admire his commitment to his faith and his duty. I find it to be such a great portrayal of that period in history.

I will say, it is confusing as hell, that Ragnar Ragnarson has no relationship to Ragnar Lothbrok... But Uhtred's 2nd wife, is the great grand daughter of Ragnar Lothbrok.
I was also surprised to learn that Ubba was Ragnar Lothbrok's son!

I ended up looking up familial connections on the last kingdom wiki last night after hearing Ragnar Ragnarson's speech about "You know me, you know my family" just to see if he had any connection to the famous Ragnar...

Just now, SinisterDeath said:

I will say, it is confusing as hell, that Ragnar Ragnarson has no relationship to Ragnar Lothbrok... But Uhtred's 2nd wife, is the great grand daughter of Ragnar Lothbrok.
I was also surprised to learn that Ubba was Ragnar Lothbrok's son!

I ended up looking up familial connections on the last kingdom wiki last night after hearing Ragnar Ragnarson's speech about "You know me, you know my family" just to see if he had any connection to the famous Ragnar...

The author knows his history. He did a fantastic job of making Uhtred into a believable historical figure. There's some very powerful dialogue coming at the end of S3 that alludes to this.

6 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

The author knows his history. He did a fantastic job of making Uhtred into a believable historical figure. There's some very powerful dialogue coming at the end of S3 that alludes to this.

really need to finish watching Vikings...

Almost makes me wish they tied the two series together... but ya know... bbc vs history channel...

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 2:27 PM, SinisterDeath said:

really need to finish watching Vikings...

Almost makes me wish they tied the two series together... but ya know... bbc vs history channel...

Where are you at now? I’m dying to get your opinions on some parts. 

• 5 weeks later...

Finished the series last night.

Edward is an ass.
I half expected Uhtred to have a stroke when Aelswith said she was staying in Bebbanburg for awhile. lol

I was half expecting Aelswith to be ALIVE after Edward's death, still tormenting Uhtred in "The Last Kingdom: Seven Kings Must Die". I'm still not convinced she isn't still alive and kicking.

An interesting observation during the last scenes of "Seven Kings Must Die"

Who's missing at this table?

image.png

Ragnar.

After all that trouble of Ragnar's death, Uhtred and Brida ensuring Ragnar got to Valhalla, why isn't he there? 

I don't know if this is just an oversight from the writers, An issue with casting, or a deliberate decision to omit Ragnar.

In the middle seasons, just after Ragnar's death. There were a few occasions where the Danes stopped caring about reaching for their weapons when they were dying. (Cnut is a prime example of this) 
So there were definitely a couple instances of writing/directing inconstancies that stood out to me like a sore thumb after they literally spent 2+ seasons HAMMERING home to the audience how important it was that a DANE have their WEAPON in their hand when they die.

(Also, why the hell don't more Danes have more small knives on them in situations where their larger weapons get disarmed? You'd think even a knife shaped necklace would suffice...)

• 3 months later...

Hey there! Totally feel you on The Last Kingdom hype. Started it too, and man, that shield wall scene hooked me in big time. Finished S3E3 last night – intense stuff! I haven't read the books, but as a standalone, it's solid, right? Agreed on ranking it higher than Witcher for Action/Drama/Plot. Speaking of Netflix, did you know that this company adds to prince harry net worth? I just read about it, and I wanna say the prince's projects are amazing!

Edited by NoemiFlowers