DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Historical Inspiration

I am currently taking a class in Latin and recently we have been focusing on Cultural such as names and gods. Something I noticed was the original names for the Forsaken, such as Asmodean, Lanfear or Grendel have 3 names. But it seems the third name is like the Roman Cognomen which is a name after the last which is a descriptive name. While in the Age of Legends these third names are awarded for special achievements or special recognition. Another thing I have noticed is how Tuon’s full name is almost the same as the Roman Goddess of Fortune, Fortuna. The final thing I noticed was in TGH (I think) when Rand and friends went to the Cairhien dance, the clothing and hair was aristocratic France. 

I am intrigued to know if anyone has picked up any other historical references. Not huge historical references but small little references. 

11 hours ago, Some_random_novice said:

I am currently taking a class in Latin and recently we have been focusing on Cultural such as names and gods. Something I noticed was the original names for the Forsaken, such as Asmodean, Lanfear or Grendel have 3 names. But it seems the third name is like the Roman Cognomen which is a name after the last which is a descriptive name. While in the Age of Legends these third names are awarded for special achievements or special recognition. Another thing I have noticed is how Tuon’s full name is almost the same as the Roman Goddess of Fortune, Fortuna. The final thing I noticed was in TGH (I think) when Rand and friends went to the Cairhien dance, the clothing and hair was aristocratic France. 

I am intrigued to know if anyone has picked up any other historical references. Not huge historical references but small little references. 

Oh yes, I would say there are many historical references both obvious and obscure, from ancient cultures to historical figures. I’ve been learning a lot about specific examples from various WOT podcasts published by very intelligent individuals. I’m not qualified to narrow it down to the most significant examples, but there are numerous references embedded in the books and underlying themes. One might argue most or many major themes in WOT are inspired or based on our earthly history and reality. Good question! I’m interested to see if anyone can provide some examples. 

19 hours ago, Some_random_novice said:

First, yes, there are many parallels between Rome and the Forsaken. I mean, Sammael is one part historical Crassus, Demandred is one part historical Pompey, and LTT is one part historical Ceasar.

Secondly, with Tuon renaming herself as Fortuna, I noticed that parallel as well with the name. 

Thirdly, Cairhein being French in the ball moment is true, because Cairhein is basically as much France as Andor is England, which is where the anti history between those two nations comes from. Historical parallels. 

Edited by wotfan4472

Well, we can consider Andor, with its Queens-only rule, to be a Good Queen Bess+QEII England sort of thing. Tear is equally obviously a sort of Reformation-Era Spanish Empire and Illian - Ilium if you must - is likewise an Italian city-state with Venice in mind. While Shienar with Uno and his Great Shienarian Adjective seems to be based on the Australian servicemen I have no doubt RJ was quite familiar with during his tours of duty in the Vietnam War days. (A number of US servicemen gained very favourable impressions of the Australian servicemen during that war.)

On 2/14/2023 at 1:56 AM, Kalessin said:

Well, we can consider Andor, with its Queens-only rule, to be a Good Queen Bess+QEII England sort of thing. Tear is equally obviously a sort of Reformation-Era Spanish Empire and Illian - Ilium if you must - is likewise an Italian city-state with Venice in mind. While Shienar with Uno and his Great Shienarian Adjective seems to be based on the Australian servicemen I have no doubt RJ was quite familiar with during his tours of duty in the Vietnam War days. (A number of US servicemen gained very favourable impressions of the Australian servicemen during that war.)

That is very interesting about the inspiration from Australian servicemen, I would never have figured it out. It definitely makes sense however. 
Also it was fairly obvious about a lot of the Westlands being Western countries especially Western European countries in history.

On 2/24/2023 at 3:00 AM, Some_random_novice said:

That is very interesting about the inspiration from Australian servicemen, I would never have figured it out. It definitely makes sense however. 
Also it was fairly obvious about a lot of the Westlands being Western countries especially Western European countries in history.

For the Great Shienarian Adjective's inspiration, you might like to consider these two poems by Australians as context:

https://www.australianculture.org/the-great-australian-adjective-w-t-goodge/

http://www.australianculture.org/the-austra-laise-c-j-dennis/

6 hours ago, Kalessin said:

For the Great Shienarian Adjective's inspiration, you might like to consider these two poems by Australians as context:

Thank you, that is very interesting!!

21 hours ago, Kalessin said:

I really admire your knowledge about topics and how you back it up with evidence 

On 2/22/2023 at 10:00 AM, Jsbrads2 said:

Mat being Rommel was a shock to me. 

Not really to me.

Rommel was honorable enough to try to kill Hitler, and one of the few that detested what was going on enough to act. He would have succeeded, if he had one other military figure in the exact same boat, so to speak, whom agreed with him on every level to act as well.

He was the only one that felt that way to the level he did, which is why he failed.