DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Few Great Hunt Observations

Blackbyrd

1- Rand is pushed by the wind in Fal Dara practicing with Lan. 'Strange things happen this close to the blight'

This is perhaps the first sighting of mysterious ability Rand taps to light the pipe at the end of the series

2- While in the Portal Stones world Ishamael -as Ba'alzamon tells Rand something like 'she's not strong enough to protect you, she's never strong enough' 

We assume this is about Egwene but perhaps this is the first reference to Nakomi. 

Keep in mind these are two of the myserties that Sanderson has famously said he can't answer

3- This one is not really true but must be shared

Just before using the portal stones 

'Rand grinned in spite of himself. Marisa was almost as pretty as Egwene. And this was almost like old times, almost like being back home, bantering back and forth, and nothing more important in the world than a laugh and twitting the other fellow.'

So maybe Jack Dorsey is telling the truth about looking down the dictionary to invent twitter. Maybe. However- four dudes invented twitter. Twitter was based on Flicker. So... maybe we have a truly amazing synchoncity or maybe, maybe, RJ is responsbile for the name Twitter. Pretty funny either way really

8 hours ago, Blackbyrd said:

1- Rand is pushed by the wind in Fal Dara practicing with Lan. 'Strange things happen this close to the blight'

This is perhaps the first sighting of mysterious ability Rand taps to light the pipe at the end of the series

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  Who is pushing Rand?

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here.  Who is pushing Rand?

I think he means when the wind picks up and pushes Rand while he's training with Lan. That's the start of book 2 (either prologue or chapter 1, I think). I always interpreted that bit as either the first bubble of evil, or Rand unknowingly channeling and detecting the imminent attack from the Shadow. First one seems the most likely.

I understand what he is referring to.  But it appears the OP is tying together that gust of wind with Rand's ability to light the pipe.  I don't see the connection.

• Why would Rand push himself?
  • If OP is referring to someone else using this ability, who?
  • If I'm totally misreading, can you explain further please?

I always took the push as a shove from the DO.

10 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

I understand what he is referring to.  But it appears the OP is tying together that gust of wind with Rand's ability to light the pipe.  I don't see the connection.

• Why would Rand push himself?
  • If OP is referring to someone else using this ability, who?
  • If I'm totally misreading, can you explain further please?

I always took the push as a shove from the DO.

Yeah, I think OP may be connecting things that aren't actually connected. Rand lighting his pipe at the end of AMoL should be just Rand being able to influence the pattern itself, which he learned to do when he was fighting and trying to lock up the Dark One.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2022 at 6:59 AM, Asthereal said:

I think he means when the wind picks up and pushes Rand while he's training with Lan. That's the start of book 2 (either prologue or chapter 1, I think). I always interpreted that bit as either the first bubble of evil, or Rand unknowingly channeling and detecting the imminent attack from the Shadow. First one seems the most likely.

I too viewed this as one of the first bubble of evil(s), albeit a weaker one as it was the first.  

On 3/28/2022 at 4:28 AM, Blackbyrd said:

RJ said in an interwiew this is the one of the first bubble of evil we see...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 6:12 PM, qlorin said:

RJ said in an interwiew this is the one of the first bubble of evil we see...

Right, right

But RJ also famously sucked in some of his mysteriousness in the initial trilogy- and RJ was also notorious for not answering in a truthful manner

So- yes, bubble of evil? Maybe.... Maybe... 

Edited by Blackbyrd

On 3/28/2022 at 4:22 AM, Asthereal said:

Yeah, I think OP may be connecting things that aren't actually connected. Rand lighting his pipe at the end of AMoL should be just Rand being able to influence the pattern itself, which he learned to do when he was fighting and trying to lock up the Dark One.

This is the main idea but 'should be just' is defeating every reread and it's probably untrue. RJ wanted us get more than the words 

7 hours ago, Blackbyrd said:

This is the main idea but 'should be just' is defeating every reread and it's probably untrue. RJ wanted us get more than the words 

In what way is it "probably untrue?"

Given that RJ explicitly stated it was the first bubble of evil, the two are in no way related.

The wind pushing is something that happens to him, which harmed him.  Lighting his pipe is something he does himself, because it helped him.  There is no reason to link them at all.

22 hours ago, Blackbyrd said:

Well, Rand can't channel anymore, he has no influence on bubbles of evil and he isn't in Tel'aran'rhiod at that moment. So I don't see any other way Rand should be able to light his pipe within the rules or the world we know of. Technically, we also don't know about his ability to influence the pattern at will, but he did it at one point in the story, so perhaps he retained that ability to some extent.

Also, I would like to point out that it's a bit harsh to state that my strong opinion/interpretation of one line in a series that's over 4 million words long defeats every reread. I'd say there's more to the series than just that one fun idea in the epilogue of book 14. ? 

On 4/26/2022 at 3:13 AM, Asthereal said:

Well, Rand can't channel anymore, he has no influence on bubbles of evil and he isn't in Tel'aran'rhiod at that moment. So I don't see any other way Rand should be able to light his pipe within the rules or the world we know of. Technically, we also don't know about his ability to influence the pattern at will, but he did it at one point in the story, so perhaps he retained that ability to some extent.

Also, I would like to point out that it's a bit harsh to state that my strong opinion/interpretation of one line in a series that's over 4 million words long defeats every reread. I'd say there's more to the series than just that one fun idea in the epilogue of book 14. ? 

What are the bubbles of evil though? Really? Esp considering the idea that this moment in GH is a bubble of evil... which actually pushed Rand to gloriously defeat Ba'alzy in the sky at falme. Two of my former observations are geared toward dissecting two of the greater mysteries we have left

I apologize for any harshness

The first and greatest mystery of course- who and what the hell is Mat? Literally left hanging

PS Just found out there is a movie called 'battle flame' probably part of where this battle at falme comes from

Edited by Blackbyrd

On 4/30/2022 at 5:07 AM, Blackbyrd said:

What are the bubbles of evil though? Really? Esp considering the idea that this moment in GH is a bubble of evil... which actually pushed Rand to gloriously defeat Ba'alzy in the sky at falme. Two of my former observations are geared toward dissecting two of the greater mysteries we have left

I apologize for any harshness

The first and greatest mystery of course- who and what the hell is Mat? Literally left hanging

Bubbles of evil are the Dark One's power trickling through into the pattern because the seal on his prison is getting weak. They can manifest in all sorts of ways. This is explained in the beginning of book 4, after Rand is nearly killed in a bubble of evil while Berelain is in his room trying to seduce him.

Why Rand and Ba'alzamon fought in the sky I don't know. Never bothered to dig into that. I always assumed they were channeling, but I don't think there's much evidence.

As for Mat: well, he only becomes a proper character in book 3. From there, he becomes one of the coolest characters, but in books 1 and 2 he's the problem child of the group, getting into trouble and needing rescue or healing. Beyond being a bit of a prankster, there isn't much to his character, at first.

On 4/26/2022 at 1:13 PM, Asthereal said:

I have a theory about this... It is not completly my own theory but i built on it in time... I think Rand  channels to lit the pipe in the end...

Saidin and Saidar are two opposing forces...  Combine them you get One power... One power is a fundamantal force in the WoT universe... Nobody can use the One power they channel it... Nobody can create or destroy any One power...

There is also True power which controled by DO... I think True power is the opposing force to One power like saidin and saidar they are a dual force... Again it ,si a fundamental force in the universe... Even DO can not create or destroy any True power but somehow controls it...

What happens if you combine One power and True power... I think it is "Willpower"... If you can channel Willpower you just will to lit the pipe and it happens... Rand gets this ability after using unimaginable amounts of Saidin Saidar and True power in the Bore which is outside of the pattern...

Basicly Rand channels at the end but not Saidin or Saidar or True power but all of them combined...

What is the opposing power to "Willpower" which can be used in a similar fashion but different... I think the opposing force is "Tel'aran'rhiod power"... It is similar in usage and effects but different in accesibilty....

Edited by qlorin

19 hours ago, qlorin said:

I have a theory about this... It is not completly my own theory but i built on it in time... I think Rand  channels to lit the pipe in the end...

Saidin and Saidar are two opposing forces...  Combine them you get One power... One power is a fundamantal force in the WoT universe... Nobody can use the One power they channel it... Nobody can create or destroy any One power...

There is also True power which controled by DO... I think True power is the opposing force to One power like saidin and saidar they are a dual force... Again it ,si a fundamental force in the universe... Even DO can not create or destroy any True power but somehow controls it...

What happens if you combine One power and True power... I think it is "Willpower"... If you can channel Willpower you just will to lit the pipe and it happens... Rand gets this ability after using unimaginable amounts of Saidin Saidar and True power in the Bore which is outside of the pattern...

Basicly Rand channels at the end but not Saidin or Saidar or True power but all of them combined...

What is the opposing power to "Willpower" which can be used in a similar fashion but different... I think the opposing force is "Tel'aran'rhiod power"... It is similar in usage and effects but different in accesibilty....

Uh... I have no arguments against this. Others might chip in, but this seems very plausible.

On 5/7/2022 at 7:26 PM, qlorin said:

On 5/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Asthereal said:

Uh... I have no arguments against this. Others might chip in, but this seems very plausible.

The problem is that the story explicitly says that he tried to channel - first the One Power, then the True Power - and couldn't.  What he finally did is much more like what he would have done in Tel'aran'rhiod.  He thought of the pipe as lit, and it was.

Either he has gained the ability to affect the real world as if it was the World of Dreams, or he's learned how to directly affect the Pattern.  But it seems pretty clear that it's not any kind of channeling.

22 hours ago, Andra said:

The problem is that the story explicitly says that he tried to channel - first the One Power, then the True Power - and couldn't.

He can not channel One Power or True Power because... Both of those sources broken powers... Rand gets direct unbroken power at the end... He is embodyment of balance... No light side no dark side... He did not choose one over the other in the Bore... So he can access unbroken balance power which is "Willpower"...

He thought of the pipe as lit, and it was.

He willed it...

Either he has gained the ability to affect the real world as if it was the World of Dreams

I agree with you he gained this ability in the Bore surrounded by insane amounts of One power and True Power... About world of dream part... Yeah it is like world of dreams because power in world of dreams also channeling... It is opposite force of "willpower"... 

If you compare these power you have 3 tiers... 
Tier 3 (spilit by gender): Saidin , Saidar (base powers) 
Tier 2 (split by morality): One power (unbroken saidin and saidar) , True power 
Tier 1  (split by reality): Willpower (unbroken One and True power) , Tel'aran'rhiod power 

We see any amount of saidin or saidar doesnt match what you can do with True power because True power is in higher tier... Even most destructive weave Balefire "just a waeve" if you have Tel'aran'rhiod power you can dismiss it...

These are not facts... These are an unprovable theories... In this point it is my headcanon ?

Edited by qlorin