DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

special extended edition

will there be a special extended edition of the show?

I suspect they have a lot more footage than they showed. in paticular, they scripted "basil gill",and we got the announcement for it, and then he appears in one scene and doesn't utter a word. smacks to me of a small part that was cut for timing reasons.

do you think they will take that extra footage and do something with it?

6 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I suspect they have a lot more footage than they showed. in paticular, they scripted "basil gill",and we got the announcement for it, and then he appears in one scene and doesn't utter a word. smacks to me of a small part that was cut for timing reasons.

Also Egwene's pool. Cenn Buie (though that could have been cut at script stage). There must be so much more

I really hope so, and I think Rafe had indicated so once in an interview before the start of the season

Rafe said during the AMA that we won't be getting a "Judkins Cut" of the show, since most of it didn't make it out of the script. But he did say at some point that he will be releasing deleted scenes and such over the course of the year, so there could maybe be some fan edits or the like coming out of that.

It's a nice idea but I think the biggest problems with the show are not due to length. A review I saw mentioned the Lord of the Rings movies and how the whole trilogy is about as long as this first season of WoT but those movies flowed so much better and felt so much more epic and grand with much better writing. It's not just how long something is that makes it good or not it's what you do with that time. LoTR movies cut a lot of stuff from the books but all the scenes they left had weight and purpose and built the story to an epic crescendo. The characters were fleshed and inspiring and the audience was invested in them and the special effects still hold up today 20 years later. I think there should have been more episodes to WoT but there were many things they need to improve on that have nothing to do with length.

Edited by SingleMort

9 hours ago, SingleMort said:

It's a nice idea but I think the biggest problems with the show are not due to length. A review I saw mentioned the Lord of the Rings movies and how the whole trilogy is about as long as this first season of WoT but those movies flowed so much better and felt so much more epic and grand with much better writing. It's not just how long something is that makes it good or not it's what you do with that time. LoTR movies cut a lot of stuff from the books but all the scenes they left had weight and purpose and built the story to an epic crescendo. The characters were fleshed and inspiring and the audience was invested in them and the special effects still hold up today 20 years later. I think there should have been more episodes to WoT but there were many things they need to improve on that have nothing to do with length.

no, the main problems were not due to lenght, but lenght contributed. do not forget that lotr adapted a single book into 9 hours, and there's still a special extended edition adding two hours to that. while wot adapted the first book and also other plot threads from later books.

Sure, the writing could have been better and that would not be fixed by more time, but a lot of other problems could be

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

no, the main problems were not due to lenght, but lenght contributed. do not forget that lotr adapted a single book into 9 hours, and there's still a special extended edition adding two hours to that. while wot adapted the first book and also other plot threads from later books.

Sure, the writing could have been better and that would not be fixed by more time, but a lot of other problems could be

It seems to be semantics whether you want to consider them 1 book or 3 (they were originally and in some cases still are published in separate parts). Seeing as WoT is essentially all one continuing story you could argue that's "one" book also. But even if you want to say LoTR is one book, it's one book that's twice as long as Eye of the World so they are still telling a longer story better in the same time

Edited by SingleMort

1 hour ago, SingleMort said:

It seems to be semantics whether you want to consider them 1 book or 3 (they were originally and in some cases still are published in separate parts)

I think he's referring to the hobbit. Which frankly is a terrible deflection.

The original movies translated 3 books in roughly 9 hours and the characters actually felt fleshed out and well done (for the most part) meanwhile eotw couldn't do crap in 8 hours.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:22 AM, king of nowhere said:

Gawd, I hope not.

8 hours ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

I think he's referring to the hobbit. Which frankly is a terrible deflection.

no, I'm talking that the wottv didn't adapt just the eye of the world, it pulled in plots from other books. all the parts concerning the aes sedai, which in the books are not introduced until later.

the point was raised in the past, somebody even made the calculation of book words to minute of screentime, and wottv had twice as much words per minute of footage.

the show had a lot of good, a lot of weaknesses, many of those weaknesses stem directly from reduced screentime. it is a commonly held opinion - not just mine, but shared by many recensions i read - that the show could have done a lot better with 10 hours instead of 8

8 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

no, I'm talking that the wottv didn't adapt just the eye of the world, it pulled in plots from other books

Which isn't the same as adapting 3 full books.

8 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

it is a commonly held opinion - not just mine, but shared by many recensions i read - that the show could have done a lot better with 10 hours instead of 8

And I agree 10 episodes would have been better. However when lotr can flesh out 3 books worth of characters in roughly 9 hours but you can't even flesh out a little over one (and that's being generous) in 8 hours, you must have missed the mark somewhere and misused your time. 

The show *may* have done better with 10 hours.  I'm in the camp that feels the showrunners didn't use the time they had particularly well.  If was got another 2 hours with the EF5, great!  But if we ended up with 2 hours of filler that wouldn't have been quite so good.