DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Is anyone worried about.... competition? (a baseless conspiracy theory)

SingleMort

1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

Stupid questions - how do they know that I tuned in?  Do they get feedback that I streamed it from my TV or computer?  If I watch it twice, is that two hits or just one because it is not unique?

Amazon knows everything you've watched, searched for, and bought on their platform. 

As to how they measure whether or not a show is successful - it's a bit convoluted

Edited by mogi68

10 minutes ago, mogi68 said:

Amazon knows everything you've watched, searched for, and bought on their platform. 

As to how they measure whether or not a show is successful - it's a bit convoluted

I figured they might know.  But any idea if I watch an episode 3 times that it counts to the good for show numbers.  Obviously wouldn't affect subscriptions so maybe not.  But if I like the show as much as I think I will then I know I'll be watching it multiple times.

Wow - I used 'I' a lot of times in that last sentence.

Edited by DojoToad

5 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Stupid questions - how do they know that I tuned in?  Do they get feedback that I streamed it from my TV or computer?  If I watch it twice, is that two hits or just one because it is not unique?

They definitely have metrics for all of that. I suspect they'll also be watching their Prime subscriptions and seeing how many new subscriptions they'll get + whether it's driving sales on their other products (since I got prime to watch the show, might as well make good use of the free shipping etc)

ETA: just saw the article @mogi68 linked which explains it much better than my speculations ever could lol

Love the quote "When we win a Golden Globe, it helps us sell more shoes"

Edited by Rose

21 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I figured they might know.  But any idea if I watch an episode 3 times that it counts to the good for show numbers.  Obviously wouldn't affect subscriptions so maybe not.  But if I like the show as much as I think I will then I know I'll be watching it multiple times.

Wow - I used 'I' a lot of times in that last sentence.

I think they probably do.   It is an easy enough metric to capture.  Old school map reduce algorithms (Google's big idea behind their search engine) used to focus on that type of thing when they did their page rank for usefulness - the more times a website was linked to, the more useful it was considered, and therefore the higher it would appear in search results.   It is a pretty common thing in the algorithm world.

16 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

I think they probably do.   It is an easy enough metric to capture.  Old school map reduce algorithms (Google's big idea behind their search engine) used to focus on that type of thing when they did their page rank for usefulness - the more times a website was linked to, the more useful it was considered, and therefore the higher it would appear in search results.   It is a pretty common thing in the algorithm world.

Good to know that I'll be doing my part to get the show to the last battle!