DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which characters do you dislike and why?

The prophet amuses me. And Elayne is boring, but i wouldn't remove her (in fact Andor is the most boring of all the nations. Way to cliche).

I would remove a majority of the Sea Folk women though. I cant stand them.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

almost all the women in the books that are near rand

they all think they are ten times smarter then him and that he is only there to get in the way

they all try to tell him what to do when to do it and how to do it and if he doesnt he is just a "woolhead"

i really wish rand would smack all of them and tell them to just stand there while he he finishes off the dark one. I know that the women have there own strengths and they are important characters but i think they just need to back off rand and and let him deal with it how he wants to.

also Lan was cool but now he is just Nynaeve's B**** and does what ever she wants

See with Elayne and Nynaeve...their behavior annoys me sometimes, but there's reason why they are the way they are. You grow up in a royal palace the daughter of a queen and see whether you aren't haughty as an adult. In Nynaeve's case she needs the anger to do what she does, i.e. heal and listen to the wind. There's a reason she's cultivated that temperment, and in her PoVs we she she's really quite insecure. Once she loses the block she loses her reason to be so prickly. Egwene however has no cause for how she is, her self importance, and lack of objectivity make her someone I really could not like were she real.

Faile irks me as well, with her jealousy all the time. I fully understand it comes from her culture but she also knows full well that Perrin is not Saldean and has no earthly idea what she expects from him. On the other hand, if I were Perrin and she was treating me like that, I would have set her down long since. WTH makes someone endure being treated like that for so long when they know they've done nothing to deserve it?

I can't understand how anyone doesn't like Min. Yes she changes for Rand but seriously who doesn't do stuff like that when they're in love? Women today wear all kinds of uncomfortable shoes, and makeup and spend hours on their hair for what? Min grew up around a mine and wearing boys clothes was acceptable. Now she's out in the world and she's in love and she's deciding it's not such a bad thing to look and act like a woman. She's still the same person underneath and she's still the only person around whom Rand can be himself which I think is vital to his success.

Why is everybody disliking the good guys???? I hate Elaida!!!!!!!! :twisted:

I find Elaida interesting as a character just because of how dangerous she is to the cause of the Light without actually being a Darkfriend. But I guess we've had it foreshadowed so much that Elaida is going to have a very precipitous fall so I more or less just sit there rolling my eyes at her while I'm reading her parts.

Plus I think Elaida keeps getting left out because we're supposed to dislike her.

I also vote Egwene. I liked her in the first books, but now? For somebody who's on her, what, fifth captivity, and all but the first due to overconfidence or carelessness, she could walk a little smaller.

Plus I think Elaida keeps getting left out because we're supposed to dislike her.

I also vote Egwene. I liked her in the first books' date=' but now? For somebody who's on her, what, fifth captivity, and all but the first due to overconfidence or carelessness, she could walk a little smaller.[/quote']

All the girls with the exception of Min are guilty of that one. Constantly insisting they're perfectly capable of taking care of themselves when they can't walk out the front door without getting in trouble...

And yet they disparage Mat for always being in trouble...at least he has the sense to have an army with him when he does it. :P

All the girls with the exception of Min are guilty of that one. Constantly insisting they're perfectly capable of taking care of themselves when they can't walk out the front door without getting in trouble...

Yeah, there may be contenders, but Egwene is the Heavyweight Champeen of the World when it comes to being an omelette-face.

Why is everybody disliking the good guys???? I hate Elaida!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Actually, I guess the title of this post should have been "Which good guys do you dislike and why?" Since that really is what I was looking for. My fault I should have been clearer

Yes, I hate Elaida too but she falls under the category of characters I love to hate. This means that while I do hate her, she is suposed to be an unlikalbe character and therefore I like her by virture that I hate her. Hope that makes sense.

the caracters i dislike so much are mainly are egwene and elayn i cant spell i no .... but i mean egwene thinks she knows wats goin on and wats best for rand well i think she should shut the heck up cuz she has no idea and i agree she takes a spankin woopety dooo rand would laff in there face if they did that to him she would prolly have a heart attack if she dealt with rands pain... and elayn OMG she is the most stuck up arogant character i have ever read about like when shes all like i dont care im going to bond rand no matter wat like he doesnt have a choice granted he did agree but i mean i hate that she expects things to be done her way and hers only i dont care about the pregnant thing cuz i got 4 sisters and i no how crazy they get when there hormones are actin up.. but i mean omg she is so arrogant mat is wright she is the total stereotype noblewoman ... i wish i could be in the book so i could smack some sence in to them and another set of characters i tind to dislike is the aes saidi they think they all high and mighty well now there all grovaling to the wise women and bonded to ashaman and the white tower is goin extinked till egwene can get the amrilian seat away from elida ....wow lol i realy got into that lol well ttyl ...

from keith

Thanks for all the responses guys. The reason I posted this topic is because I find that the reasons that people give for disliking Jordan's characters are the exact reasons why I like them so much. Sure they are flawed, they sometimes do stupid things or make bad decisions and at times can be down right hypocrytical. To me, however, this makes them seem very real and allows me to relate to them very easily. All too often fictional characters tend to be a little too perfect, a little too moral and have their act together just a little to much. Sure, those kind of characters are easy to admire but they just aren't real, you don't find people like that in the real world. By contrast each of Jordan's protagonists reminds me of someone I know and I find elements of myself in most of them (particually in their flaws).

For my part I honestly wouldn't want to know a man who could have numerous women die for him and not feel some guilt over it. I think it actually says alot for Rand's character that he remembers each of their names and mourns for each and every one of them. To me this is one of the few things that still makes him seem human.

Moreover, I would not want to know a man who is not just a little bit obsesed with his wife or who would just abandon her to a group like the Shaido (no matter what "greater good" motivated him to do so). Honestly, if TG actually had begun and Trollocs were pouring out of the blight I have no doubt that Perrin would take up his axe (or hammer), go fight them and do his part in saving the world. But until that actully happens I think Perrin is doing exactly the right thing by making Faile's safty his top priority. Honestly, who could say they would do anything less for the love of their life (even it if does happen to be Faile :lol: )

Actually, I guess the title of this post should have been "Which good guys do you dislike and why?" Since that really is what I was looking for. My fault I should have been clearer

Well.. if that's the case I think I dislike (not hate!) Elayne. I can't give a real reason it's just that I don't like her very much.

I don't get it why a lot of people dislike/hate Egwene :? . I think she's very brave especially in KoD!!! She has a big responsibility okay she's a little stressed I guess, but so is Rand!

(appologize my English)

I don't get it why a lot of people dislike/hate Egwene

Hypocracy. She disparages what she sees as Rand's arrogance. Yet if she was the Dragon Reborn I'd bet anything she'd be sitting there demanding the respect and deference due her position. She scolds the boys for their lack of manners while she walks around pinching people on the arse with the Power whenever she doesn't get her own way.

I don't really mind Rand's whining. I realize i'd probably be whining quite a bit more than he is right now (probably would be quite a bit more dead too).

Egwene and Elayne and Nynaeve definatly, probably the most annoying people to read about. They are prime examples of the arrogance and blindness of woman in WoT. I really wish Mat would just follow through with his threat and give those girls a good spanking.

I don't get it why a lot of people dislike/hate Egwene

Hypocracy. She disparages what she sees as Rand's arrogance. Yet if she was the Dragon Reborn I'd bet anything she'd be sitting there demanding the respect and deference due her position. She scolds the boys for their lack of manners while she walks around pinching people on the arse with the Power whenever she doesn't get her own way.

I think that's part of why she's a good character. Someone mentinoed this before I think, but I like a lot of RJ's characters because their flaws give them an air of reality - no one is perfect and no one has it all. How many arrogant and hypocritical 20-something women do you know? I know plenty, to one extent or another. And plenty of men too - its a common flaw in many people (myself included im sure). So, that touch of reality for Egwene does a lot for me in terms of her character.

My least favourite good guy? Rand. He whines too much and makes frustrating decisions. Again, in touch with reality - must be tough to have the weight of the world on your shoulders. But he still annoys me :P

I think that's part of why she's a good character. Someone mentinoed this before I think, but I like a lot of RJ's characters because their flaws give them an air of reality - no one is perfect and no one has it all. How many arrogant and hypocritical 20-something women do you know? I know plenty, to one extent or another. And plenty of men too - its a common flaw in many people (myself included im sure). So, that touch of reality for Egwene does a lot for me in terms of her character.

My least favourite good guy? Rand. He whines too much and makes frustrating decisions. Again, in touch with reality - must be tough to have the weight of the world on your shoulders. But he still annoys me

-So apparently in your view, it's better to be a hypocrite, extremely concieted, and even being misinformed compaired to .... being Worried over the sake of the world, while your being challenged by the very people you're trying save, as well as being in constant physical and mental torrment? .... Right, I can easily understand your point of view now ... To be honest, if you can find saving grace for Egwene and claim its due to liking flaws in their character, then you should be easily able to do that for Rand ... But to be fair, if you take away all of those obsticles from Rand's path then personality wise he'd be pretty much the same as Mat, and we can't have that can we?

Rand honestly has never really bothered me...except when he starts to chant his "must be harder" mantra and even that is only out of concern for him. I fully understand why he does it which is because he's been thrust into this situation where he has to let women die for him in opposition to a value that's very deeply ingrained in him. I want him to be more of a strong adaptable Suian Sanche type leader than a hard but brittle Elaida.

His rooms are always being described as being littered with books of all sorts so he's going to great lengths to educate himself as best he can. He's making the decisions he must make in spite of the fact that he often hates himself for it.

I also enjoy the human faults all the characters have. There's a reason for their behavior. Nynaeve needed the anger, Elayne was raised in an environment where an arched eyebrow could get her what she wanted, etc. But Egwene is someone I genuinely could not like if she was real.

I also enjoy the human faults all the characters have. There's a reason for their behavior. Nynaeve needed the anger, Elayne was raised in an environment where an arched eyebrow could get her what she wanted.

I completely agree with that :D The characters from WoT are SO realistic, they could be real persons!

(except for the channeling part of course :wink: )

But I still like Egwene 8)

But Egwene is someone I genuinely could not like if she was real.

I agree with this too, so maybe we are talking past one another phlpr23. If the topic of this thread is "who would you not like as a person if they existed in real life?", then yes, Egwene would be high on my list for the reasons stated. However, I took it to mean "who do you not like as a character in the series?", in which case my answer stands.

You see i disagree... I like contentious people. Maybe because that is what im like myself. But a woman as strong and intelligent as Egwene... yeah, i think id get on well with her.

Though to be specific, i hated her until after LoC. Prior to, she was an annoying to all hell.

You know what?

Everyone is a hypocrite in this book (with the possible exception of Perrin). Everyone. If you look at everyones POV, you can tell. However, everyone also has their reasons.

Egwene, to my mind, is a strong character through what she has gone through. She was raised as the Mayors daughter, remember? She was raised with the thought that men need women because they have no sense. Then, she found out she was special even to Aes Sedai- who are held up as the most powerful, mystical women around. Then, she is *singled out* with the fact that she comes from Rands village. She is captured by the Seachen and is put through hell. Then, she is told to find and hunt Black Ajah from the *Amyrlin Seat*. Then, she went through the Aiel. And finally, she is told that she *has* to be the Amrylin Seat. She is tough, arrogant, but practical as well. You have to also realize that there is *no way in the world* that she, or anyone who is not right there with him, could possibly know what Rand has gone through. How could she? Shes not there.

Im not saying its not frustrating to read and there are definently times when I want to rip people out of the books for their arrogance and stupidity. Just, try to understand that RJ makes a foundation for all of his characters.

And please please dont hate me for writing that.

for a while, i did not understand all the hating of Faile that was going on, but I am now on my 3rd read of the series, and all i can see is faile trying to manipulate and change perrin to fit her ideal

annoying!!!

I hate Faile! :twisted: I think she is a selfish spoilt young woman who likes to sulk. I usually skip over her POV they just make me angry. I used to really like Perrin until the last few books when he became obsessed with getting Faile back. I know his reaction was understandable(sp?)but i thought it was a waste of paper and deprived us of the interesting story. Faile is the only character i hate and think the series would be better off without.

(Deep breath)Ok rant over. i really like WoT and cant wait for Moiraine to come back.

Archived