DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Walking (OPEN RP)

Phelix

The crisp air of late winter made many of the passing novices and servants clutch at their cloaks, and Elin felt a small bit of sympathy for them. It would be years before the novices were taught the mental skill to ignore the petty details of heat or chill. Because she knew the skill, Elin was not wearing a cloak or gloves, or even her shawl with its Red fringe. She was simply walking the Tower Grounds wearing a dress made of fine black wool. There was embroidery in exquisite detail showing red birds on briers, all done in crimson thread. 

She kept her face smooth as she walked, observing everyone around her. Her senses stretched out, and she felt the potential strengths of the girls passing by, and she knew that many of them would surpass her one day. When she saw sisters, she knew that most were stronger than her too, and she politely nodded to them, bowing her head to the precise angle one gives to a sister of greater standing. Eventually, she found herself sitting on a bench under a tall cedar tree. The almost spicy scent of the wood filled her with calm, reminding her of the forests from her homeland.

From her purse, she takes out a journal, and a traveling pen and inkwell, and begins to write:

The river of one's life is much like the One Power. Struggling against it, trying to change what is into what one wishes for, only results in broken dreams and failure. My experiments within the dream have taught me some of this. In the other world, the world that touches all worlds, some things are easy to change. The color of a dress, the jewelry one wears, or creating a pot of hot mint tea with blackberry flower honey. All easy things that can be done with simple concentration and will. 

It is more difficult, however, to alter things that are fixed. A wall can become a door, but it requires much more focus and determination. A wild boar can become a docile lamb, but only if you truly believe it so. Then there are immutable things. The White Tower always stands above Tar Valon. A black stone is always black, even when I will it to have speckles.

So it is in this world. I can exercise my will to change my dress easily, without a thought. I can ignore the heat of summer's height or the heart of winter's chill by simply choosing to ignore them. But nothing I do will change how much saidar I can channel safely unaided. Learning to accept these immutable things is how one can grow.

As she writes, she listens for crunching steps on the gravel.

Jagen had just returned from her visit to Adnor. After riding her mare some way, she had made a gateway to get back. No need for those to see gateways who didn't need to know they existed, now. The Sitter almost plucked off her velvet gloves, then decided against it. The weather was a bit colder up here. She drew her cloak around her and headed from the designated Traveling grounds to the West Stable, not too far off. Giving the mare an apple and a pat down, she made sure Vega was settled before heading up the wide path towards the Tower.

The visit to the Black Tower had left her uneasy, but she hardly let it show. It had only seemed to confirm for her her worst fears; whatever madness the men had there had not gone away upon the cleansing of saidin. If that had truly worked as they said--what if something remained, however small?

She let out a soft breath of frustration; she hated not knowing answers. Especially when time seemed of the essence, and it certainly seemed that way. How far away was the Last Battle?

As she went up the path, a figure caught her attention, for she was wearing black. The color certainly echoed her thoughts, but it was hardly appropriate to be wearing. As she got closer, she saw the red needlework, and recognized Elin.

"An unusual color choice," she commented, her voice fluttering her veil.

Hearing the footsteps on the gravel, Elin set her pen and journal down on the bench beside her and rose to her feet. She bent her neck to the proper angle and dropped into a curtsy for the Sitter of her ajah. She smiled slightly at the comment about the color of her dress.

"I was thinking on my roots, where I came from when I chose this dress, Sitter. In Amadicia, most of the common folk wear simple black and white." She let a small smile show at the memories of her homeland. "Is there something I can do for you?"

Jagen did not understand why the other sister would want to wear a dress of common-folk, but she did not bother asking. Some Sisters just liked to dress rather plainly, she supposed. Jagen's own dress was silky gray, though her cloak and gloves were red.

"I did not mean to disturb you." Her eyes flitted to the journal just momentarily. "Though, since I am here. Yourself, I would like to know what you think about our bonding of male channelers." She moved to sit on the bench about a foot away from Elin, arranging her skirts. "While it is common knowledge now, the bonding, it is still new to us. Even other Ajah sisters have begun to do so." She wished it weren't so, but she could not stop what already was. "Have you met any of these.. Asha'man yet?"

Elin waited for the Sitter to take a seat before reclaiming her own. The question did not catch her off guard, as it was something she had been thinking of for some time.

"No, I have not yet met any of the Asha'man, the Guardians." She let the title hang in the air for a moment while she thought on it. "I should like to, to better understand them and perhaps to bond one myself. I think the bonding of Aes Sedai and Asha'man is a necessary thing, something that will shape our world for the better."

She folds her hands together but meets the Sitter's gaze. "I think it is inappropriate for sisters who have not focused their lives on male channelers to take them as warders, or even allow themselves to be bound. Just like one who has not dedicated herself to the Yellow Ajah should not rush out to run a hospice in Caemlynn, a sister who has not learned all she can about saidin and those who wield it should not engage in these bonds."

She drops her eyes. "Forgive me if I have overstepped in giving such a strong opinion."

Jagen shook her head at waved a dismissive hand. "I am glad you spoke your thoughts. I share them, as it happens." Guardians, indeed. Whoever came up with that name, whatever they considered themselves, people only had the Aes Sedai for guardians. The men were too new, too dangerous, to be considered anything else as of yet.

"The Asha'man, they must be put under our watch and care. However fast they learn and train with the One Power, there is still a long way to go, yes?" Goodness, but it was weird talking so casually of men and channeling. "They have little to no training in anything else, and only their ability to channel holds them together at their 'Black Tower'." Her tone said what she thought of that name.

"Nonetheless, they must become and stay our charge above all others. I will encourage as many of our Red sisters as possible to bond as many as they will, much like the Green and their Warders." Her blue eyes rest on Elin's. "In a couple of days I will be taking a trip to the Black Tower. I'm looking for sisters to accompany me."

Elin's eyes brighten, "Yes, if you'll take me, yes. I will bond an Asha'man. I think it best to only take one at a time, but if there is need, I could take two or three." She keeps her voice even and firm, confident, at the prospect of taking three warders. When she was a novice, women who suggested that a Red sister might have any warders had been sent to the Mistress of Novices for punishment. Now it was actually happening.

She begins to pack up her note taking tools, but does not rise, waiting to see if the Sitter has further discussion or instruction.

Jagen watched Elin respond with more enthusiasm than she would have expected. At least, what was excited for an Aes Sedai. Perhaps it was well, though; she needed enthusiastic sisters for the job; the ones who did not need coaxing were better.

"I would agree, we should not bond too quickly." Agreeing to bond so quick had made a mistake for Jagen, but she thought they would have had a say in whom she bonded--or to whom she was bonded. Jagen hardly let Phaedra get comfortable with her new title before near ambushing the Highest to let her pass her bond to a more suitable Red. Yet now she needed to bond again, less she become hypocritical.

Jagen let herself nod as she stood, "We should get some tea." She waited for Elin to do the same, and began walking back toward the Tower. "Bonded or not, these men, they are no true Warders; they do not have the training. We should make sure they understand their place, however. Men who have respect for Aes Sedai are good for a first Warder. If it comes to having more, those who need some swaying would be good for a second. Perhaps; after all, we do not want a Warder who will not heed us at all. Yet some men are quite willing. Now that they know we are not there to hunt them, but to help, they may react differently than before."

"Tell me, do you have any friends among the Green? And I offer for you to keep giving your opinions. There is much to discuss, yes? A lot of change has come to the Red Ajah, and the faster we adapt, the more successful we will be."

Restoring her composure, Elin rises and follows her Sitter. Enjoying the idea of tea and interesting conversation.

"Unfortunately, as you know, one's early years in the Ajah are quite busy. I was not able to maintain any friendships outside the Ajah." Elin says the words calmly, thinking about the friends she had had as a novice and later as an Accepted, and how they had been cut out of her life. They almost seemed to expect it when she returned from her test wearing a shawl with a red fringe. "Perhaps I will be able to restore them now that I have settled in. Or build new ones."

Elin's face shows some of her pleasure at the idea of being able to be more free with her opinions. "I think it might be best to give them, the bonded Asha'man, all the honors and privileges of our more traditional Warders, though. Else they might begin to resent being held apart. And a resentful man is difficult to work with."

She walks along with the Sitter, just a step behind as is proper, following to wherever the Sitter wishes to have tea.

Jagen nodded at Elin's last comment, but kept to her thoughts as she mulled them over. She did not want the men to become resentful either, but neither did she want them running around with too much freedom, either. Warders had given up some of their freedom when they bonded, though, and they understood that. Some things would have to be clear up front before bonding happened again. It was but one reason among many they should aim for men who were willing.

Jagen spotted an Accepted and waved her over. The girl dropped a deep and quick curtsy. "Aes Sedai." "Have tea brought to the North Garden, for two." "Yes, Aes Sedai." She quickly went off, as fast as she could go without running. The Sitter fell silent as they made their way up a couple of floors, preferring to wait until they were settled into their seats. The North Garden was empty when they arrived, but the day was warming up. Jagen lead them to a table close to the low wall, where it offered a view north. Towards the Borderlands, and the Blight. Several flowering plants were maintained here to give some contrast to the stark white of the walls and the bleak countryside below.

"The men, they will be treated as other Warders, but with... special circumstances. They can come ago more freely perhaps, but we will always know what direction they are in, and how far away. In general, we will sense their feelings, too. The bond, it will make managing them easier. But do not get me wrong--perhaps at one point we were enemies, but no longer. This is a much needed tactical partnership. The Aes Sedai and Asha'man, we must be united for the Last Battle, with as many channelers moving forward as one force as possible against the Shadow. Perhaps, even, we may practice what we will together. My understanding, Elin, you are interested in the feats male and female channelers accomplished in the Age of Legends, yes?" She hoped Elin would share what she knew or found in their records.

The North Garden had always been a place of contemplation for Elin. From that garden, one could see until the horizon, which hid from view the Borderlands where men guarded the passes that kept the hordes of trollocs penned into the Blight. One day, the women of the Tower would march to the Last Battle, and they would fight those hordes... but while she would join that fight, she was no Green to spend her life preparing for it.

When the Sitter asked about forgotten feats, Elin nodded. "Yes, I've begun researching what I can, working through lists of hidden, lost and forgotten knowledges. There are many things that are written about where the authors speak as if the knowledge is commonplace or as if it is foundational to a complete education. I have created something of a list of foundational principles that must be researched before we can move on to more complex projects. Every writing agrees that a woman alone or a man alone simply cannot match the effects of a man and woman joined together."

She takes out her journal again, flipping to a page, pointing to notes from early in the book. "I found a partial record from a researcher during the Trolloc Wars. Tyrenia Sedai, of the Red, worked with men who had been Gentled, asking them to describe the process by which they embrace the Source and weave its flows. I was only able to find a few pages, but from the descriptions, it sounds as if saidin is entirely alien to saidar, but I think with an actual link between bonded partners, we should be able to teach each other how to weave the opposite half of the power... and from there, I think we can make leaps of discovery."

She looks to the Sitter to try to gauge her reaction.

Jagen let out a breath slowly through her nose, her Taraboner veil fluttering. To think they could possibly be on the verge of touching saidin... no, she had no desire to do that at all. But what if it was necessary? Would they even have the time to learn with it, if such a thing was possible, before the Last Battle?

Well, they could not overstep themselves. One step at a time. Everything she had heard of saidin, what she knew of it, was that she wanted nothing to do with it. Such reservations were very hard to get rid of. Channeling men she could handle, oddly, but not the thought of saidin itself, even though the two went hand-in-hand.

Just then the Accepted came by with the tray of tea for them, and a flat plate in the middle with a circle of hard cookies and a small porcelain jar with jam. The Accepted poured them both a cup, leaving room in case they wanted to add honey. Jagen waited until the Accepted made her curtsy and left before speaking again.

"It is imperative we begin working with the men as soon as possible. And the Sisters, we must gain their trust; that is essential. At least some of us, we have bonded already, and it is known in both Towers. I will definitely have you accompany me to the... Black Tower. Yes." Unclasping her veil, she picked up her cup of tea and left it unsweetened, sipping slowly as she took in the sight of the northern horizon. It seemed darker to her than before. Perhaps it was just because of the time of day. "I am assuming you stand ready to link with them, and learn what we can?"

The spoon paused mid stir at the Sitter's question. "I am assuming you stand ready to link with them, and learn what we can?"

It felt like she was standing on the edge of a precipice. Her only choice was to leap and trust in herself and the strength of the Tower to make sure that she landed correctly.

"I do stand ready." She finished stirring the honey into her hot tea, and took a sip. "Do they have men pre-selected who wish to bond, or are we to meet many of them and select from amongst all of them? How skilled at using the Power are they? Have they begin a training regimen? Is it standardized, or does each learn as he is able?"

She barely noticed that she had launched a volley of questions at the Sitter, the answers would begin to feed her plans on how to prepare for this task.

Jagen's eyebrows rose at the barrage of questions, but she allowed a small smile on her lips. She needed a sister who was eager, and one who knew what questions to ask.

"The alliance between our groups is very new, and we do not know as much as I would like," she admitted. "However, as it happens I was returning from the Black Tower when I saw you writing along the path." Jagen watched Elin as she said this, then continued, "They do not do chores as novices do; no, they do not have time for that. Everything they do--everything--is done with the Power. I think they were all holding saidin the entire time I was there." She sniffed and sipped her tea. How times have changed, she thought.

"This makes their skill and use go up very quickly, and thus they obtain their rank of Asha'man in under a year. It is insane. Perhaps as insane as some of them are. And that is the problem--the taint may be gone now, but whatever madness progressed in them before is still there. We must step warily, and introduce ourselves to those who are willing; I'm sure they will be easy to talk to, but ascertaining their... level of sanity... may be a bit more difficult. Some try to hide it well.

"For your other questions--that must wait until we return, and seek answers first hand."

"A single year?" Elin gasped. "How can they be prepared to handle so much power with just one year of training?"

Her mind flitted back to her first year as a novice, and then several that followed it, and then her years as an Accepted. If someone had tried to make her an Aes Sedai after only one year, she would have failed every test and expectation.

Elin centered herself, breathing calmly and thinking of herself as a rosebud in the sunlight.

"When do we go next?"

Jagen shook her head. Her brows knitted as she spoke, "They take their losses, supposedly. If a man dies because he drew too much, or he made a mistake and hurt himself, they... my understanding, it is they just accept the loss and move on, whether he burnt himself out or died as a result." That she had learned from word of mouth. "Admittedly, this was not something I asked first hand, but we should make a point to verify it."

"Still... their only requirement seems to be 'Can you destroy things with these Weaves, and do you have control?'" She shook her head, beaded braids clicking.  After she took a few swallows of the tea, she answered, "In a couple of days, perhaps a few; that is when we shall go. Enough time to gather a few other sisters. In any case, I plan on going whether it's just a few of us, or a dozen." She grinned. "Maybe not a dozen at once. But you understand my meaning, yes?"

Elin's face sags a little at the callous treatment given to life among the asha'man. Then she steels herself.

"I will be ready, Sitter, whenever you decide we should leave." She takes the final sip of tea and sets her empty cup down on the saucer.

"Once we have bonded them, will they be returning here with us, will we stay there, or will we take up a third location?"

Jagen finished her tea and set the cup down on the small table. "They are allowed to come here. We have a designated area in the gardens now, set up just for them. Not too long ago, I took one to the library, in an effort to get to know him." She paused, thinking of Aslan. "He liked books."

Shaking her head, she went on, "For a place, we have designated rooms in our own quarters for them. Can you imagine," she said, sighing, "having men who can channel in the Red Ajah quarters? The sisters who came before us, they could never have imagined such an outcome. Ah, yes, and some still do not know--but this has just occurred. Nonetheless, if you hear rumors, you can not confirm them."

Tilting her head. "I will not confirm any rumors, Jagen Sedai. However, if we have the men here, that will be more than rumor."

Elin knew several of the Red sisters who could be very dogged while ferreting out secrets. She did not look forward to having to hide things from them.

Jagen tilted her head slightly, wondered if Elin misunderstood her. "What I mean by the rumors is this. The Asha'man, they will be coming here, but how many stay in our quarters, that will be up to them and the sisters they are bonded to; thus if you hear anyone speaking of the matter, you can tell them exactly what is going on." She sniffed. "I had one sister ask me if the men would be required to sleep in the sister's own quarters. No, that is not the case," she said firmly. "They will get their own rooms, if they are Warders, just like other Warders."

She took in a breath, enjoying the cool air. "It is imperative every Red understand what is going on, and even those outside our Ajah. The visiting Asha'man will be under our watchful eyes if he is no Warder, but I think none will be wandering our halls who is not bonded already. This way, when sisters see a man in a Black coat, and know him for what he is, they will not be alarmed. Sisters who have been gone out of the Tower even for a year will be surprised at these changes, though I think few did not return when called back."

Jagen was referring to the revelation of Bonwhin's journal and the box ter'angreal. Still, sisters who departed immediately after might not understand the changes that followed that revelation and the cleansing of saidin.

A blush rose to Elin's cheeks. "I apologize for misunderstanding your meaning."

Elin imagined the rose opening under the light, letting the serenity of the practice calm her embarrassment. 

"I will request that my rooms be packed and relocated so that I can be next door to whomever I bring back to the Tower as my warder." She paused. "If you think that wise?"

Jagen gave a nod. "I do not see any problem with that, if you have sisters on both sides of you. Yes, that is a good idea, I think." She took up one of the biscuits on the tray and ate it, then nodded again. "There will be quite a bit of change in our quarters, very soon, yes?" The Sitter smiled bitterly.

Jagen then adjusted her skirts and made to stand. "I think I should be off for now, Elin, but it was good to talk to you. Feel free to contact friends of yours on our upcoming mission."

Elin rose and gave the Sitter a curtsy. She waited for the Sitter to take her leave, but her mind was already racing up and down paths that she could research and develop. Things she could learn that no sister had learned for millennia. Perhaps since the Breaking itself.

Her fingers itched to write down her notes. She also made a small mental note to practice cutting weaves and shielding. If these men were really given their final ranks after one year... they might be more boys than men, and boys like to play tricks.

Jagen turned away, and as she did so she dryly joked, "If one day I'm walking in the garden and see chora trees growing, I'll know you rediscovered how the Aes Sedai of old did that." She paused at her own words. Aes Sedai then covered both men and women. She shook her head. "Good day, Elin."

She walked through the garden and back into the tower, drawing her shawl up. Working together in the One Power with men. Saidin and saidar. The world is changing, but how many of us are ready? Elin, at least, seemed so. What of Jagen, herself? Shaking her head, she veered off to the kitchens to ask for her meal to be brought to her room.

Elin watched the Sitter leave, and as soon as she was truly alone, she pulled out her journal and frantically scribbled a few notes.

Chora Trees ~

- Require enhancements from Power?

- Require saidin and saidar?

- Perhaps combining simple healing with additional flows of water and air might strengthen a plant?

- Should a live plant be woven into a Chora?

- Should a seed be modified before it germinates? 

- Was a ter'angreal required?

Finishing her notes, Elin made plans to go to the Libraries. The Browns managed them, but she could still research to her heart's content.

The more potential ways men and women could work together, the more benefit would come of this project... and hopefully, they could guide the world to a place where men who channeled were not feared and loathed by all.