DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's madness

Guest chuk

Guest chuk

Sorry if this has been covered. I couldn't find anything on it. Was rands madness needed as a ta'veren in order for veins of gold to take place and all the good things that happen afterwards? The pattern is balance, and as Rand slides deeper into madness only bad things are happening for the most part. Is this almost like an investment in his ta'veren nature? Is the pattern "spending" all the bad things that occur due to him being ta'veren in order for him to have a store "return on investment" of good possibilities after his moment on Dragonmount?

Mat and Perrin experience this to a lesser degree. Mat spends a significant amount of time being infected and almost dying due to the Shadar Logoth dagger, gets hung by the Eelfin, dies in Caemlyn, and has to deal with the gholom. Perrin has to free Faile twice, is betrayed by Aram, and must deal with the invasion of the two rivers along with Luc/Isam. Obviously this is not all inclusive.

Are all these bad events needed for them to be able to bend chance in ways that support their battle against the shadow?

Sorry if this has been covered. I couldn't find anything on it. Was rands madness needed as a ta'veren in order for veins of gold to take place and all the good things that happen afterwards? The pattern is balance, and as Rand slides deeper into madness only bad things are happening for the most part. Is this almost like an investment in his ta'veren nature? Is the pattern "spending" all the bad things that occur due to him being ta'veren in order for him to have a store "return on investment" of good possibilities after his moment on Dragonmount?

Mat and Perrin experience this to a lesser degree. Mat spends a significant amount of time being infected and almost dying due to the Shadar Logoth dagger, gets hung by the Eelfin, dies in Caemlyn, and has to deal with the gholom. Perrin has to free Faile twice, is betrayed by Aram, and must deal with the invasion of the two rivers along with Luc/Isam. Obviously this is not all inclusive.

Are all these bad events needed for them to be able to bend chance in ways that support their battle against the shadow?

I would say that Rand's madness was not part of the pattern due to it coming from the taint, which is from the Dark One who is anti-pattern. If you remember Nyneave's delving of Rand in tear to see his madness he had the same "thorns" as the Ashaman she healed, just that his were surrounded by "Light" so she opted not to heal his due to believing it being some sort of intervention.

So in my opinion "Veins of Gold" was really a creator-esque intervention to counter-balance the taint.

Archived