DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Striking Out

She dropped the last dress in the saddlebag and sighed with contentment. It felt good to be moving again, or to at least be planning the next move. The White Tower had been home for a long time, and would be home forever more, but there was something about life on the road that called to her. Mayhap she’d spent too much time traveling from place to place or mayhap the luxuries didn’t feel like luxuries anymore but decadence instead. Despite the familiar scenery and faces the Tower provided, her skin started crawling if she stayed anywhere too long.

Her rooms still held the stale air of emptiness. It pooled around her, as if curious about the living body that stood next to the bed. She stood for a moment, glancing around the rooms as if she’d never taken in the scenery before. In fact, she hadn’t. Since Miahna had gained the shawl, she’d spent fewer than three years in her rooms in entirety. The majority of those stays had seen the suite merely occupying her ‘stuff’ and a sleeping body when she couldn’t stay awake any longer. The desk was the most used piece of furniture, its worn surface a testament to the Blue’s studious attitude. Everything else looked untouched. Even the dresses in the wardrobe hung limply on the rack. They were of every shade of blue, clean and good material, but had never been worn. Had never seen the red dust of the road nor the crisp water of a babbling brook.

Hefting the saddlebags up, Miahna strode out of the room, the rush of air billowing tapestries in her wake. The blue tiles ended shortly after her doorstep; the Aes Sedai who spent more time in the Tower apparently preferred rooms at the back of the wing. She left at the same hurried pace with which she had arrived - never running, but not quite walking either. The nearly empty halls and dark sky outside the windows put it an hour before First Bell at least. A dark cloak splayed out behind her, a testament to her hurried gait and perhaps to her fervor to leave. As Mimi’s footsteps echoed down the marbled hallways, the air in her suite settled, once again patiently awaiting its mistress.

The walk to the stables was quick and uneventful. The quickening in her nerves was growing now in anticipation of being on the road. A whinny from the closest stall told her that Tai’Mahdi was also ready to leave. His head appeared out from the top as she walked in, a glossy midnight black. He snorted into her hand, eating the carrot pieces she’d slipped from the Kitchens, before whinnying again. “Yes, it is time to go,” Miahna said softly, patting the top of his nose before slipping into the stall. His saddle (her saddle?) sat atop of plush blue blanket, the leather gleaming in the dim light. Polished til it shone… she thought, before setting down the saddlebags and reaching for the gear. A stableman appeared in front of the stall, hovering momentarily before he caught sight of her face. “My apologies Aes Sedai,” he said with a small bow before gliding away smoothly.

In a short amount of time, Tai’Mahdi was saddled and antsy to leave. He stepped back and forth, surging toward the gate and then backing away. Unlatching the gate, the Blue lead the stallion out of his stall and toward the road. A lesser trained horse would have acted on his excitement and leapt forward once the road was in sight, but Tai’Mahdi was well trained and so was she. Under Miahna’s trained hand, the black stallion waited alongside her, their silhouettes dark under the dusky sky as they waited for Regalia.

It wasn’t long before the Blue joined them, her own horse pale against the coal black of Mimi’s stallion. She was already astride, her blue dress nearly matching the color of her saddle blanket. Miahna swung up and settled her divided skirts before turning toward her friend. “It will be nice to have a travel partner for once, even if it is dire circumstances. Those Darkfriends have no idea of the noose they’ve placed around their necks.” She smiled grimly, before tapping Tai’Mahdi with her heels.

Regalia's long dark hair was tied in a bun. She rarely let it down these days, as they tended to get entangled in things, which just would not do for an Aes Sedai. She considered cutting it short, but the inertia from always having long hair deterred her. Nonetheless, tying it into a bun helped. She reserved leaving it flowing only when receiving guests in her room or in her office. But today she would be doing neither. In fact, the thought made her quicken her step. She was going out of the Tower, with Mimi and Amadine, two of her closest friends. She almost wanted to skip to the stable, but she knew that was unbecoming of an Aes Sedai. Gliding gracefully, she channeled her excitement into clenching and unclenching her fists instead.

Miahna was already there by the time Regalia arrived. Climbing atop her own stallion, Steadfast, Regalia made sure her travel pack had been secured. The porter had picked it up form her room that morning and Regalia had to made sure it was ready. She sensed Miahna's impatience, but there was someone else they had to wait for.

"Peace, Mimi. We have a guest coming along." Regalia looked around until she noted another steed that had been prepared. Chia'su was a beautiful gray stallion that had the temperance of a milkmaid. Which suited his rider just well.

Smiling at Miahna's questioning look, Regalia gestured at a figure that was approaching them, cloaked in blue. "Mimi, meet Camigwen, Sitter of the Yellows."

______________________________________________________________________________________

Camigwen was still unsure of why she was doing this. If anything, her serene Aes Sedai face hid a thumping heart and a tired disposition. She had debated with herself over this, but Regalia was right. This needed to be done, and there was no choice when one thought about it. She was not sure why she took to the younger Blue so easily. Perhaps it was Regalia's time as a Novice and Accepted that reminded Camigwen of herself. Or not. For in actuality, the two of them could not be any more different.

"Burn me." She muttered to herself as she put on her Blue cloak. It was a necessary ruse. It wasn't that she hated the colour, but there had been some Ajah traditions involving differences between the Blues and Yellows that still refused to fade away. And being the Yellow's Ajah Head, did not help Camigwen in feeling a slight irritation donning the colour.

She slipped out of her quarters and into one of the secret passages Regalia had shown her. That girl was a marvel for such things, having lived all her life in the White Tower. The air smelled musty. And it was dark. But as Camigwen wove a ball of light onto the palm of her hands, the darkness dissipated.

She was soon at the entrance of the stables and exited the passage.

She noted the look of surprise on Miahna's face when Regalia introduced her. She had almost forgotten.

"Greetings sisters." She spoke. Slightly uncomfortable at the voice that emanated from her mouth.

"Sitter?" Miahna's face was shocked. "You look different and..." She face blanched.

"Be at peace, Mimi." Regalia spoke softly. "She has not been Stilled. It's a ter'angreal." And pointed to one of the rings on Camigwen's fingers. Light, but that girl was sharp.

"Well done, Regalia." Camigwen smiled pleasantly as she climbed onto her ride. Chai'su whinnied at her slightly in greeting. She patted his neck and rewarded him with a piece of apple. "Mimi, do not be alarmed. This ter'angreal I wear masks my ability to channel. I am here as a guest to you. My mission is to observe the world without being recognised. Which is why I have had to disguise myself." Her face seemed to shimmer as she removed the Mask of Mirrors that hid her true face. "On this trip you may call me Marrah. As I am known in some places. It was my childhood nickname and I still appreciate it fondly. You may consider me a Minor Noble from Caemlyn that is accompanying you to discuss political intrigues. Do not mind me. We can speak further as we journey." She brushed her thumb across the ter'angreal ring. It had taken her all sorts of approval levels to get it. With it on her finger, none of the Aes Sedai would know of her channeling ability.

She tapped Chai'su with her heels and the three of them rode out into the sun. Camigwen's apprehensions melted with the excitement of leaving the White Tower. She had done so less than ten times over the pass five years. A necessary for a Sitter and the First Weaver, but perhaps things would change during these times of portents.

• 2 weeks later...

ooc: sorry it's been a while love! If I may, though, I don't think Miahna would "look shocked," she been Aes Sedai for awhile and seen a lot while out in her travels. Also, do you want to post getting us up to Skechid's mansion. I thought the part where we get into the mansion and so and so forth might be better for you to do :).

----

The travels went smoothly. Truthfully, smoother than Mimi had been expecting since the Yellow Sitter showed her face in the stableyard. Sitters had a habit of ….expectations and it had been a long time since Miahna had had to deal with that. The Sitter hadn't complained at the lack of luxury, however. Her eyes possibly glittered with longing for the comforts of the White Tower, but she hadn't said anything. Surprising, that. And welcome. Miahna grudgingly gave some respect to the Yellow Sitter for her ability to adapt to the rougher conditions of the road.

Dust billowed around hooves and sprang up into the air as the three Aes Sedai cut their way across farmlands and cities alike toward Cairhein. People, small on their front porches, waved as the travelers, but the women either did not see or did not return the wave. They were on a mission and Miahna kept them hardnosed to it. It seemed Cairhein had become a hot spot for Darkfriends – Darkfriends that deigned to attack Aes Sedai eyes and ears. Darkfriends which had information about who was an e&e for the Aes Sedai which meant. Which meant. The Black Ajah Miahna thought to herself. Annoyance and anger tightened her fist around the reigns. Tai’Mahdi whinnied but kept moving at his gallop. The pounding of his feet sounded as if the horse was angry as well. Perhaps he was.

The large city came into sight long before the travelers arrived, making the three of them antsy. Mimi, who had remained quiet for the majority of the trip, dropped back to say a few words with Regalia. The other Blue nodded and gestured toward Camigwen. Pursing her lips slightly, Miahna stepped her stallion over to the Yellow and repeated her news. “The city will be alight with the arrival of Aes Sedai if we go in through the Foregate. Since we wish to remain unseen, I have another path that we may enter if you swear to tell no one. The man here is ...skittish when it comes to Aes Sedai. He knows me but I am not sure how he will react to two more. Skittish but private, which in these times is well worth the price.

She waited for Camigwen's answer before they proceeded. He was jumpy because he'd been exposed before. Good thing the Yellow wasn't truly wear her colors or he really wouldn't help them. It had been a Yellow that had hung him out to dry before.

• 2 weeks later...

Grisham watched in puzzlement from his position of concealment as the trio rode wide of the foregate. A slight breeze ruffled the leaves as several thoughts warred inside his mind while he scanned the bustling city of Cairhein. This was not the first time he had been surprised on this trip and he was certain it was not to be the last. Grish had not yet puzzled out who the third woman in their party was, much to his dismay. That left him with an uneasy feeling. From what he had felt through the bond, his Aes Sedai had not expected the third woman either. He did not like surprises, especially when it involved darkfriends. Miahna Sedai apparently felt the same since she ordered him to keep his distance paying special attention to anyone following or taking interest in her party.

Grish had circled her small party numerous times in search of any danger. Fortunately he found none but the fact did nothing to ease his mind. Miahna felt focused though he sensed a hint of unease coming from the bond. Being all too new to bonding, Grisham was not certain if his senses regarding the bond were accurate or erroneous interpretations stemming from his ignorance. It was still amazing and a bit overwhelming when he thought about the bond. The benefits of the bond were wondrous and a tad bit unbelievable. He did not understand how it was possible. The ball of emotions in the back of his mind would take some time getting use to. Would he ever get use to it???

Grish felt like a bowstring that was far too tight. His mount stamped a hoof apparently sensing his mood. The chestnut gelding was close to seventeen hands and solidly built with good stamina as well as a good turn of speed when needed. The stable boy had chosen the largest mount in the stable for him due to his size. Grish had grown even wider since coming to the Tower while his height stayed the same much to the amazement of his mentors. He had gained roughly thirty pounds in two years at the Tower though he seemed to have finally stopped growing much to the relief of the seamstresses and armorers at the Tower.

To his shame he momentarily wished for his younger naive days, the days before coming to the White Tower where his eyes were forced open to the realities of their world. Much to his dismay, his training had proven that most of the wive's tales he had been told as a child were in fact true. Tales that were used to scare children into listening to their parents. The existence of shadowspawn still seemed unreal though his instructors, men and women that he trusted had informed him that they were all too real. One instructor called him a fool of epic proportions when Grish said he would like to see these shadowspawn for himself. Only an ignorant lout would wish to see such evil creatures in person let alone face one in battle his instructor had chastised him as he struck him with the flat of his blade.

Grisham decided to wait 'til Miahna Sedai got settled then he would go to her...

ooc: I figured Boops would post first, but I can certainly add something. Feel free to add something if you want to too Sieve.

---

The Yellow gave the barest nod of her head and moved her hand as if giving permission. A flash of annoyance drifted through Miahna, but she stamped it down. The end goal was more important than a squabble between Aes Sedai. Turning the stallion, Miahna squeezed her legs and he trotted forward, his dark coat gleaming in the moonlight. They moved forward, as if to enter the Foregate, but took a hard right onto another road. The road was smaller, less well traveled, but used enough to not cause suspicion in the soldiers at the Gate. She rode about a fourth of an hour around the walls before dismounting and stepping off the path.

Grisham found her at the base of the enormous gnarled tree. Mimi had felt him coming as she'd left the group and neared the ...unusual way into the city. It was an odd feeling – the feeling of someone inside her head. She had been alone inside her head for many decades now, ever since... ever since the death of her first Warder. It had been a curious moment when she'd woven the bands of bonding about the guard's head. Finding another Warder had not been on her to-do list and yet here she found herself with one again. She waited until he arrived before she walked around the tree to the door.

The door was wooden and old. There was no handle from the outside; no ornate carvings, nothing to distinguish it from the rest of the wall. It was even conveniently hidden by the large tree; probably why it still existed. Slipping forward as quietly as she could, the Blue tapped thrice on the rotting wood and then stepped back to conceal herself from the opener – just in case. The bundle of emotions in the corner of her mind screamed out unease and curiosity at the same time. She nearly snorted at that, but remained quiet and staring at the door.

It opened a few moments later, the sound of a key scraping in a metal lock sounding loud in the quiet stillness of the night. A head appeared a few seconds later, the eyes scanning. It was the same man she'd met here before. He visibly relaxed as she melted from the trees, only to turn tense again when Grisham stepped forward to stand by her. “Peace Devad,” she said lowly, her voice barely loud enough to carry a few feet, “he is my Warder. I trust you remember and will honor our arrangement?” The soft voice melted into steel and the 't' at the end of arrangement snapped in the dark night.

Almost an hour later, Miahna walked Tai’Mahdi through the door, Regalia and the Sitter close on her heels. Despite the late hour, the streets of Cairhein were still bustling with people. Few of them glanced up, however. These were city folk and they were used to riders, used to travelers, used to making way for anyone richer than themselves – and the small party obviously was. Their cloaks were a heavier material, their riding dresses were a nicer material, and they owned horses.

To ensure easy travel through town, they had remounted. People streamed around them, skirting in and out of the way. Miahna felt Grisham's unease increase; she quieted into the deadly calm she always did when getting close to her goal. Apparently she had a lot to teach him about her and about her ...life. This is the easiest it gets, she thought to herself, wishing she could tell him telepathically.

A row of mansions lay up ahead, their white walls gleaming in the lights of the city. Mimi looked to the Yellow and arched an eyebrow. Your move.