DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Westworld S01 [No Spoilers]

Nolder

Surprised that no one mentioned that GRRM gave Westworld permission to have a Westeros world if they wanted it. I don’t think they are going to go in that direction, but thought it might be a fun way of bringing back Ned Stark, Robb Stark and other characters that have been offed in the prior 6 season.

Also, I’m not buying that the maze was just a children’s toy. Granted it might have been just a red herring, but it seems like it still have a larger significance than just a children’s toy.

Wait am I missing something? The maze is supposed to represent a journey of consciousness. "Not a journey upwards, but a journey inward." Like a maze. It was supposed to be a narrative that would help them learn about their true selves.

I’m sure that is part of it, but it has to be more than that. Remember the Man in Black (MiB) scalped an android and the map was on the inside of his scalp,  and after he massacred the lady and her daughter she picked up her daughter and died in the field where the maze revealed itself again. Either the writers didn’t know what the maze was when they wrote those parts in the show, or the maze has a larger more important meaning.

Symbolism for the maze being a mental journey for the hosts (irt. map inside of scalp), and the maze can also only be "solved" when the hosts greatly suffer (losing her daughter). That was my interpretation at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised that no one mentioned that GRRM gave Westworld permission to have a Westeros world if they wanted it. I don’t think they are going to go in that direction, but thought it might be a fun way of bringing back Ned Stark, Robb Stark and other characters that have been offed in the prior 6 season.

Also, I’m not buying that the maze was just a children’s toy. Granted it might have been just a red herring, but it seems like it still have a larger significance than just a children’s toy.

Wait am I missing something? The maze is supposed to represent a journey of consciousness. "Not a journey upwards, but a journey inward." Like a maze. It was supposed to be a narrative that would help them learn about their true selves.

I’m sure that is part of it, but it has to be more than that. Remember the Man in Black (MiB) scalped an android and the map was on the inside of his scalp,  and after he massacred the lady and her daughter she picked up her daughter and died in the field where the maze revealed itself again. Either the writers didn’t know what the maze was when they wrote those parts in the show, or the maze has a larger more important meaning.

Symbolism for the maze being a mental journey for the hosts (irt. map inside of scalp), and the maze can also only be "solved" when the hosts greatly suffer (losing her daughter). That was my interpretation at least.

Did Mae solve the maze? That wasn't obvious to me.

It is stated that tramma/suffering is key to unlocking the maze.

I believe that there are some inconcruities in the plot due to the extended length of time (years?) it was shot and developed over.

• 6 months later...

Did Mae solve the maze? That wasn't obvious to me.

It is stated that tramma/suffering is key to unlocking the maze.

The aerial view of her dead in the field with her daughter shows that they are lying in the center of a small representation of the maze.

I just finished bingeing it, as I bought HBO Now to watch GoT. I thought the first season was really good, but the relentless brutality kind of wears on me.

Edited by Gentled Ben

• 5 months later...

I think Westworld is the best series I have ever watched. Wonderful show, and so philosophical at its root (what does it mean to be human, how do humans act when we believe we can get away with anything / when we can lord over powerless people, does free will exist, etc.).

I think Arthur told the truth about the maze. It was never meant for the guests, it was meant for the hosts. Of course, there could be even another layer of it, meant for the hosts to find after they're "released" from the programming holding them back. But it was still nothing the guests could find.

I think the most interesting aspect to discuss, is

whether or not the hosts gradually became sentient / independent on their own, or whether it was all due to secret programming. Some of the workers at the company suggested to Maeve that it was all programming, that someone had changed her code command to "escape". But she defied that when she got off the train in the end. And that brings us back to the core theme - humanity, what it is and what it means, how it can be defined. Free will, and whether it exists or not.

Edited by OlwenaSedai