DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

other man - who could learn to channel ...Mat for example?

Anajon

Guest Majsju

There's a crucial difference, when throwing fireballs, lightning or whatever directly at your target, they are weaves. When using lightning the way Rahvin did, the weave was used to affect a natural phenomenon. Rahvin is not standing on the roof hurling lightinings from his hands.

We have seen Halima trying to use Saidin directly at Mat, and failed. There's the evidence, directly touching Mat with Saidin doesn't work.

My idea was that for the lightning to be real, as in not a weave, takes time. Doesn't Rand take time to set it up when he is carting from that tower to attack the shaido after came out of the waste. But if i think about ti the attack came a little while after the gate was first opened. If we have seen saidin fail before, thats good enough for me. I just forgot. Still dont remember that even after you mention it. I admit defeat.

But back to the Tam thing. I really dont belive that anyone else uses the flame. Lan doesnt. Could someone other then the two of us post on this if out numbered i will back down.

• Community Administrator

re-read tgh. And listen very carefully to what that "noble" in the "waygate world" has to say.. btw that is lanfear. She talks about the "flame and the void" or "the oneness". It isnt an ability only channelers can use. Anyone can use it.. If Its simular to the aes sedia not sweating. Anyone can do it.

But its lanfear she wants him to learn how to channel and being from the age of legends she would be one of the few that had heard of the "flame" gah! out numbered! curse you sinister! Must keep my word. (runs howling into the darkness)

Edit: I want to look at teotw to check lans reaction but cant. I am a pusher. I own 4 copys of it and none are in my book case. It is 1 in the morning. i wonder if walmart would stock it????

Guest cwestervelt

It is when Lan is giving Rand, Mat and Perrin lessons. Lan describes it Flame and Void, and Rand supplies the name and that Tam taught it to him to help with archery.

At a later point, I think it is in The Great Hunt, Moiraine is asked if it is something that Rand learned from Lan.

I do not believe Mat can learn to channel. Remember what we know about a'dam. We know a male who can channel will be "shocked" when he touches an a'dam that is linked to a female channeler: Rand in The Fires of Heaven, The Far Snows, tries to remove an a'dam from a damane before he and Aviendha escape back to Cairhien.

Also, I'm not sure, but I'm fairly certain its found in The Great Hunt, there was a sul'dam who mentioned something about how girls are tested to become sul'dam or damane. She said sometimes they will "play a game" and have various men wear the bracelet and watch the sul'dam and all the men sweat with fear because the occasional man linked to a damane will cause both to die a painful death. Kinda like Russian Roulette. This suggests that those men who can learn to channel - and possibly those who will channel regardless if they want to or not - will be shocked in the same way as men who *can* channel.

Thats why I don't think Mat can learn. Mat attached and removed a'dams from Joline, Teslyn, and Edseina several times as well as a Sea Folk Windfinder.

The only discrepancy is whether or not a man *wearing* the a'dam and a man *touching* the a'dam is any different. Rand *touched* the a'dam, and recieved a strong shock, but he could already channel at that point. We know Mat has never worn an a'dam; those Seanchan men *wore* the a'dam, which causes both man and damane to die - but it could easily be they only die because they are in constant contact with the a'dam rather than the fraction of a second touch that Rand had.

In response to Mugah..

Mat's medallion *does* block saidin as well as saidar. Aes Sedai were men and women in the Age of Legends, the latest the doorway ter'angreal could have been made. Also, I believe he says something along the lines of "I want to be free of Aes Sedai *and the Power". Additionally, the Finns are tricksome. But, none of that is the proof. The proof, you will find in book 6, is when Mat is in Salidar and Halima, whom we know as Aran'gar - Bethamel reborn , channels saidin at him. Paraphrase: "Mat's medallion went ice cold against his chest and he spun around to see who was channeling at him but only say Halima wide-eyed and started dart off when he met her eye." Also, there is an RJ quote out there confirming this.

Also, the flame and the void has nothing to do with the Power, but with Willpower. I believe Galad uses it, and possibly you get a perspective in New Spring with Lan using it. And, I kind of get the impression that all Warders use it.

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite that late, Sinister... they were learners by and large, though the spark can manifest later in men then women, as late as 30. So its still possible that Galad has the spark, he is younger then Nynaeve, who is 26. It's also possible that mat has the spark, though i doubt it somewhat. He may have the ability to learn though, but i doubt it'll be trained. Who knows though, with tuon and all that going, it may happen.

I think Gawyn has the ability though, and stands the highest possibility out of the existing non-channeling main characters of coming to channel. For starters Egs will probably want him to, secondly, i think even his antagonism with rand will help in pushing him to learn to channel...Then theres the dreams of him saving egwene in some way... and we know that he has connection with tarna, who now has maybe three asha'men bondmates.

Also... maybe lan, though i doubt that too. And maybe thom... he seems more likely then lan, given his disposition towards male channelers, and his vendetta against certain aes sedai, and the fact that he loves Moiraine, and would want to live with her eqaully.

Archived