DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cleaned the Taint!

Myyrth

It always frustrated how quite everyone was about Rand and Nynaeve cleaning the taint from Saidin.

I would think the Asha'man would be in an uproar! A celebratory one that is.

I also think that if anything would bind the Asha'man (at least those loyal to the light) more closely to Rand, then him saving them from madness and death and symbolically defeating the Great Lord would do it.

I also think that if anything would bind the Asha'man (at least those loyal to the light) more closely to Rand, then him saving them from madness and death and symbolically defeating the Great Lord would do it.

Of course, that requires the Ashaman knowing, and believing, that it was Rand who cleaned the Taint...

aye, there were only 3 (i think) ashaman with Rand when he cleansed the source!

And after having gone to the black tower and channeled as much as they could as soon as they could i can imagine that being able to draw on clean Saidin after all that wouldn't be a jump up and down thing but rather a kind of wonderment.

It says after he cleansed it that the ashaman just kept saying "it's clean" in pretty much a state of wonder!

As for the Rest of the ashaman they weren't there and even logain who is quite a staunch supporter of Rand doesn't believe that Rand cleansed Saidin but rather the creator did!

Guest Wynne Jessal

Well, as you say, there were only 3 Asha'man with Rand at the cleansing, only 2 survived, and those 3 were still on the "traitor" list at the Black Tower.

Logain himself said that Rand was completely out of touch with what was going on at the BT, and most of the people there had never even seen Rand. Plus, Taim had all the full Asha'man, except Logain himself, as part of his naughty "cabal." So I'm sure Taim had plenty of influence as to what the Black Tower thought, in general, had caused the Taint to vanish.

They might not immediately think "Hey the taint is gone! Must've been that good ol' Dragon Reborn!"

OTOH, when they heard rumors or whatever that it HAD been Rand who did it, I don't know why they would continue to doubt he had anything to do with it. Logain especially should know better.

To quote Rand: "Did he think the Creator had decided to stretch out a merciful hand after three thousand years of suffering?"

OTOH' date=' when they heard rumors or whatever that it HAD been Rand who did it, I don't know why they would continue to doubt he had anything to do with it. Logain especially should know better.[/color']

It's like when someone says "I know we have to do such-and-such a certain why but I do not have to like it." Well great, but stop whining about it and if you know why it needs to be a certain way then what's the problem anyway? I swear some characters in this story need to be slapped within an inch of their lives (Nyn, Elanye, and Egwine right off the bat among others). That's why I have more respect for Moiraine and Suiane. They do what they have to do. Oh, and definitely add Perrin to the "needs to be slapped" list. Logain has three of his fellow Ashaman there and Rand and the Aes Sedai who went too and yet he's going to deny what they all say just because he wants to act like a stuborn child? He definitely needs to be on the "to slap" list.

Guest cwestervelt
Wouldn't they feel a difference too? no more nausea when they channel..

The feel the difference and acknowledge that it has been cleansed alright. They just don't consider the Dragon Reborn to have been responsible. Logain comments on how the Creator must have decided to show them mercy.

The feel the difference and acknowledge that it has been cleansed alright. They just don't consider the Dragon Reborn to have been responsible. Logain comments on how the Creator must have decided to show them mercy.

Yeah but they all come back from this big battle, some were killed, they fought the forsaken, big black ball and now Shadar Logoth is gone and oh by the way as soon as we finished Saidan was clean and Logain says "nope you guys didn't do anything the Creator decided to show mercy at that exact moment". Yeah, okay. Did they have tinfoil back then so he could make a hat?

Guest cwestervelt

Yeah but they all come back from this big battle' date=' some were killed, they fought the forsaken, big black ball and now Shadar Logoth is gone and oh by the way as soon as we finished Saidan was clean and Logain says "nope you guys didn't do anything the Creator decided to show mercy at that exact moment". Yeah, okay. Did they have tinfoil back then so he could make a hat?[/quote']

They didn't go spreading the news about what happened. After the cleansing, they went to ground at a small estate in a remote part of Tear. As a result, only those with Rand, and the Foresaken they battled, knew what happened at Shadar Logoth. Everyone else just knows that a massive amounts of Saidar and Saidin were used somewhere. Only one group of Aes Sedai was ever sent to see what happened and they came back thinking that the Forsaken had done something that resulted in Shadar Logoth being destroyed. As far as the the Asha'man at large are concerned Saidin was tainted one day clean the next. With it being such an unconceivable task that it was never tried in 3000 years, a claim of responsibility being met with skepticism is to be expected.

And besides, we never see Logain, or anyone else discuss what happened. Logain has already figured out that it must be the Creator, since no human would be able to wield such amounts of the Power. He don`t feel any need to ask Rand what happened, just as Rand don`t bring it up. That Nynaeve obviously hasn`t mentioned that she Healed Logain to Rand, or that she fixed the weather, proves that they don`t talk about the "miracles" they have performed.

Archived