DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Quality Discussion Thread (General WoT)

Barid Bel Medar

Basically it’s for all discussion of the quality of tEotW through to ToM, and permits all forms of critique (positive or negative) and discussion thereof. What it does not permit is personal attacks against Brandon or Team Jordan--"I don't like Brandon as a writer" is okay, "I hate Brandon" is not, and will be met with like any other personal attack.

In addition, people are under specific instruction in this thread to be on their best behaviour. It's a charged topic, whatever your position, but personal attacks and abusive behaviour will not be tolerated.

The same rules apply for this thread. 

Any inflammatory or off-topic posts shall be removed immediately. Due to the nature of the subject, posts will be scrutinized more than usual. 

As a non regular to the WoT forums but a regular D&Der I'd like to throw my two cents in on your rule about personal attacks.

"I don't like Brandon" and "I hate Brandon" are the same thing...except the latter is a stronger condemnation.

What makes "I don't like Brandon" acceptable seems to be the reason given. If you hate Brandon as a writer and give your reasons why is that not a legitimate form of criticism? I agree that if someone says "I hate Brandon as a writer because he's bad." or something it's just going in circles and gives no legitimate criticism. But if someone said "I hate Brandon because when he writes he never really develops characters he just fits them into simple archetypes and that is something I cannot stand." is that not legitimate criticism? I'd agree that it's a silly reason to hate a person but people feel how they feel don't they?

Anyway, as to the actual subject, I thought AMOL did lack some quality.

Well I'm not sure if quality is the right word but it felt lacking somehow to me.

I've only read it once since it came out so maybe I missed some finer details or something that would make it feel whole.

Of the three books that Brandon co-authored this was the one that felt most obviously like it was one person finishing anothers work to me.

I don't know if maybe there was less material to work with for AMOL than TGS and TOM or what but it felt...patchy.

I don't necessarily blame Brandon for that. For all I know there was tons more material and the storylines felt patchy because in a way they were rushed by forcing this to be the last book. Maybe they needed another book or two, as crazy as that sounds.

Like I think a good example of what I'm talking about is Logain's story. It had been built up throughout the series and what he did during the battle was pretty epic IIRC but it felt like it was just tossed in to justify what had been built up before. If Logain hadn't been built up like he had would he have even been written into the Last Battle?

Just to comment on your response to the rules. 

The first comment example was "I don't like Brandon as a writer." Or, in other words, I don't like Brandon's writing. 

The second example simply states "I hate Brandon." 

The difference is the criticism. If you want to state "I hate Brandon's writing" that's fair enough. You don't even have to give a reason why (although certainly people will ask about it), just as you can say "I love Brandon's writing". 

However, hating Brandon himself is a different matter. It should be on his work and work related things (like interviews etc..) not disliking Brandon on a personal level. 

Also, sorry about the confusion, I've just copied it from the aMoL discussion thread and did not edit it accordingly. (I'm having a bad week, sorry hah)

SO I've edited the post to remove aMoL spoilers. I've edited the OP to specify this is for discussion WITHOUT aMoL spoilers. It is not just for discussion on the Brandon Sanderson books, but all the WoT books from EotW through to ToM. 

Just to comment on your response to the rules. 

The first comment example was "I don't like Brandon as a writer." Or, in other words, I don't like Brandon's writing. 

The second example simply states "I hate Brandon." 

The difference is the criticism. If you want to state "I hate Brandon's writing" that's fair enough. You don't even have to give a reason why (although certainly people will ask about it), just as you can say "I love Brandon's writing". 

However, hating Brandon himself is a different matter. It should be on his work and work related things (like interviews etc..) not disliking Brandon on a personal level.

Oh ok I think I see what you're getting at.

You want to foster discussion that is about the WORK not the PEOPLE.

It would be just as inappropriate to say "I hate Robert Jordan because one time he shoved my little brother." or somesuch.

It doesn't matter how legitimate the reason may be, it's for a different thread.

It seemed like you were just kind of arbitrarily dismissing criticism because it was harsh but I understand now.

Also, sorry about the confusion, I've just copied it from the aMoL discussion thread and did not edit it accordingly. (I'm having a bad week, sorry hah)

SO I've edited the post to remove aMoL spoilers. I've edited the OP to specify this is for discussion WITHOUT aMoL spoilers. It is not just for discussion on the Brandon Sanderson books, but all the WoT books from EotW through to ToM.

Oh sorry about that. Like I said I'm not a regular to WoT discussions so I didn't realize spoilers were still a concern.

EDIT: Just for the record, in case it wasn't clear to anyone/everyone, I don't have a brother and that never happened.

Was just a random example I thought of in the moment. I don't hate RJ or BS.

No problem, it was also a mistake on my part. 

For anyone that is curious, the spoiler restrictions end approximately a year from the initial release (January 8). 

Edit: and yes, you are correct. 

The WoTD board is dedicated to discussion on WoT. 

If you wanted to start a thread about hating RJ because he shoved your little brother (which has nothing to do with the WoT) that would come under the General Discussion, most likely in the D&D section - and that would be subject to the regular D&D rules. 

Archived