DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I Can't read the last Book

B-Honcho

Such true thoughts you have stated B-Honcho.  This is the first WoT book that I did not read within days of release.  I finished my original "pre-aMoL" re-read about a month and a half prior to its release.  However, as its release came closer and closer, I just couldn't come to grips that this epic series was ending.  So what did I do?  On release day, I started a slow re-read of the entire series (in the past I've read the WoT series 2-3 times a year), and have only finished aMoL last night.

I am glad that I took the time to re-read the series one more time, although I am saddened that now when I've made my way back to Dragonmount it appears that the activity has fallen sharply (to be expected, I suppose, after the end of such an epic series).  Many of the people I enjoyed discussing issues with on Dragonmount right before aMoL's release seem to be absent from it these days, either from conflicts over writing quality drama, or because the series is over.

That being said, do prepare yourself for an epic journey when you do finally dive into this final installment of the most epic series ever.  I can't say that I loved the writing of the book, or how it all played out, but there are some truly gem moments, and for better or worse, gives a (mostly) fitting end to the series.

The series is over, and I don't know how to feel except numb.  I know I will continue to re-read the series in the upcoming years, and that I am truly glad that I received an ending to the story.  Was it everything I hoped it would be?  No.  But it did give me the answers I NEEDED to know to have an adequate end to the series, and the suspense throughout the book was good enough that I enjoyed the ride.

My only regret is that because of my delay I didn't get to enjoy the reactions of this final book with the online WoT fan community as none of my RL friends have any interest in reading WoT.  Oh well, such is life.

I got halfway through AMOL and then decided to read the entire series over again since I do not want it to end.  But here's the weird thing, I decided to do my re-read at multiple points.  Meaning, I started reading The Eye of the World AND Lord of Chaos again, going back and forth between them.  Now I am on The Great Hunt and Crown of Swords!

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly...I kind of wish now that I hadn't read the last book, that I'd just left the series open-ended for myself. In my heart, WoT will always remain unfinished for me. I will probably continue rereading the series every few years for the rest of my life, but I think I'll leave out the last book for most of those rereads. 

Archived