DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Fate Sealed (attn Mistress of Novices & Mentor!)

Lannie

OOC: My new character; Lannie is now officially a TPC now her KIA status is announced publically. :)

Meet Vivien! :D

A Fate Sealed...

IC: Vivien pretty much just let it happen to her and walked meekly after the Aes Sedai. She didn't say anything or asked anything but just followed the woman's steps... onto the stairs, through long winding hallways full of gleaming tiles and intricately carved pillars, marble and tapestries. Even though the tiles on the floor were mostly white, the hallways were still full of vibrant colour.

And there were people everywhere. Women, all of them. Some were accompanied by stony-faced men, others by other women, and a few girls her age and a bit older in white dresses. Vivien's nose wrinkled at the sight of it; they looked so plain, all in white. As if someone had just died. Her own dress, at least, was a festive green-and-yellow, and she was wearing blue tinkly bracelets. She had matching glass beads in her hair, wound around a few choice blond strands. At least she looked cheerful, these young women did not. Some of them had rainbows on the hems of their skirts and that looked a bit better, but the colours were not truly like rainbows and Vivien wondered if this was some sort of dresscode that was required here.

"We're here," the woman in blue velvet announced. "Wait here." She rapped quickly on a polished wooden door and when her knock was answered, she promptly went into the room without even saying anything to Vivien.

Vivien played idly with her bracelets and wondered what this Mistress of Novices was supposed to test her for. Surely not to become an Aes Sedai. Whoever had heard of a Tinker Aes Sedai? She had never heard of one of her folk to go the White Tower, that was for sure! She smiled vaguely at the thought. That was when the door opened and the Aes Sedai came out again. "You are to go in," she brusquely said. "Good luck."

And with that, the Aes Sedai left. Vivien briefly contemplated calling after the Aes Sedai to ask after her name, but she was not sure whether that was inappropriate and she did not want to let this Mistress of Novices wait. Her title sounded intimidating enough as it was, already, and Vivien would rather not irritate someone who was supposed to be a Mistress. She softly knocked on the polished door.

"Come in!" a voice called. Vivien pushed the doorhandle and entered the room. It looked like a study, and a cozy one at that. Behind a desk that looked cluttered in the way that it is when someone is working at it, she found another woman. "You are the Mistress of Novices, I assume?" Vivien asked politely. When the woman nodded, Vivien curtesied. "My name is Vivien Senette. I suppose I am to be tested here."

~ Vivien

Faerzyne stifled an irritated sigh as the door closed behind the wayward novice she had just dealt with. The day was still young, yet she felt as though she had worked through the night. It seemed some girls refused to take heed to warnings, and hence appeared in her office regularly. The last novice had been no different, certainly not a stranger to the switch. At least she wouldn't sit comfortably for a few days, hopefully a deterrent to setting free mice in an Accepted's room.

One hand absently rubbed the bridge of her nose as Faerzyne again took her seat. Contrary to popular belief, she didn't relish punishing novices so, but she liked to run a tight ship, and that meant firm handling of novices who believed themselves free to run amock.

The stack of papers was daunting, yet Faerzyne reluctantly reached for her pen, dabbing it in ink before taking the first sheet from the stack. A flick of eyes towards the window showed that the sun was still bright, yet had not even reached its zenith. She could already sense it was going to be a tiresome day.

A knock interrupted her work, tentative as it sounded. "Come in!" Lifting her gaze as the door opened, she took in a young girl, dressed in a vivid gown, bright enough to give any Tinker a headache, for sure. Beads were threaded in her blonde hair, and bracelets at her wrists. "You are the Mistress of Novices, I assume?" Faerzyne nodded, placing her pen down before folding her hands before her on the desk. "My name is Vivien Senette. I suppose I am to be tested here."

Ahh, another potential initiate to add to the fold. "Please child, take a seat." Faerzyne waved her to the sturdy yet hard chair in front of her desk. "My name is Faerzyne Grigory, and I am indeed the Mistress of Novices." She paused in her speech, reaching into a bottom drawer of her desk and retrieving the dull gray-coloured gem she kept there, for this very purpose.

Gem in hand, she rose and walked slowly around the desk to face Vivien, smiling in what she hoped was a reassuring manner. Tower life was hard enough, without terrifying her from the beginning. Though she was by no means the tallest Aes Sedai within the White Tower, she imagined that she must come across as being a giantess to the young woman sitting in the uncomfortable chair. She knelt in front of her, trying to relax the young woman a little.

“Clear your mind completely, and focus on the stone.†She said. The girl did, staring at the stone intently. Time passed, and Faerzyne worried that her arm would cramp up before the girl showed any sign of potential. Just as she thought there would be nothing, a light flickered within the stone. Faerzyne smiled, and rose again. As she walked back to her side of the desk, she imagined she felt the surprise in the eyes of the girl as they settled on her back.

“Congratulations, dear. You can learn to channel.â€

~Faerzyne Grigory, MoN

"Please child, take a seat," the Aes Sedai said, waving in the general direction of the chair. "My name is Faerzyne Grigory, and I am indeed the Mistress of Novices." She smiled a little and got something out of a drawer that she held hidden in the palm of her hand. Then she walked over and knelt next to Vivien, bringing them suddenly at the same height. Faerzyne smiled a warm smile. “Clear your mind completely, and focus on the stone.†she said.

Vivien did not question but did what she was bid to do, wondering vaguely what kind of test this could be and what under the name of the Light was supposed to come out of this. The gemstone was pretty enough, although not very valuable; Vivien had seen its kind often in her young life, fond of pretty things as she was. This particular one might seem dull, smoky gray as it was. She knew, however that when the light would fall just right, the stone would seem very clear and beautiful to behold. The light was just wrong.

She felt as if she were dreaming and lost all notion of time as she focused on the smokey gemstone in her hands. She did not even notice the Aes Sedai sitting right next to her anymore. Her complete world focus had narrowed down to the gemstone.

All it needs is a little light... she would later recall herself thinking, and she would later remember how in the depth of her concentration she had reached out somehow, and how something inside of her gave in.

And the stone responded.

A tiny spark of light, less than a heartbeat, made the gemstone in Faerzyne Sedai's hand light up. It lasted but an instant before it disappeared again, and it went so fast that Vivien wondered whether she had imagined it.

"Congratulations, dear. You can learn to channel," Faerzyne Sedai smiled. She looked as if she was very pleased with herself.

Vivien blinked, caught completely off-guard. "What does that mean? Do I have to? Channel, I mean? I hardly even know what that is!" Her hands were wringing in her lap as she looked up to the Mistress of Novices. "I... I just came here because the Aes Sedai told me so. I was lost in the city, and... my father must be looking for me, and they'll be worried sick in camp. I need to get back." Her heart was beating in her throat as she fought back panic. I can channel? What under the name of the Light am I supposed to do with the ability to channel the One Power? And what is my father going to think?

~ Vivien

quite shocked

Faerzyne rose and walked back behind her desk, replacing her gem in the drawer where it belonged, when Vivien began her outburst. "What does that mean? Do I have to? Channel, I mean? I hardly even know what that is!" Sitting gingerly in her chair, Faerzyne smiled at the anxious looking young girl, who obviously had not taken the news with a great amount of joy.

"I... I just came here because the Aes Sedai told me so. I was lost in the city, and... my father must be looking for me, and they'll be worried sick in camp. I need to get back."Faerzyne had seen many different reactions from girl who discover they can channel. Vivien's reaction was a common enough one, but it still didn't make it easier to allay her worries.

"Never fear child," She began, stressing the word child. She would have to grow accustomed to being addressed so now. "Everything you need to know will be taught to you. You don't have to channel, rather it is something you will be unable to help. Without proper instruction, channelling can be dangerous." Faerzyne's tone was serious, yet she tried to keep her expression friendly, lest she scare the wits out of the girl.

"You are one of the gifted few, who have the ability to learn how to use the One Power - one of the rare few who may one day attain the Shawl and become an Aes Sedai." She watched carefully as the girl took in the information. It was a truly remarkeable discovery, yet it was one she must deal with. Knwoing now that she had the ability, there was no way the White Tower was going to loosen its hold on her.

"How you managed to find your way here is of no consequence now. For whatever reason, perhaps you are meeting your fate, hmm?" She lifted a brow and scrawled a note on a piece of parchment, which she handed to a passing novice to deliver to Elyssa Sedai, post haste. Something told Faerzyne that this colourful young woman would need a warm, guiding figure. Elyssa Sedai would make a wonderful mentor for this girl.

Seating herself once more, Faerzyne pulled the book of novices from the bottom drawer of her desk, placing it in front of her with a soft thud. The book was so very old, and impressive in size. She smoothed a hand over the cover, still in perfect condition thanks to the preservation weave keeping it.

The Gray Sister opened the volume to the most recent page, whilst simultaneously reaching for her pen, dipping it without thinking in the inkwell. "I have requested for an Aes Sedai to come meet you. She will help answer any questions you have, and will begin instructing you in your new gift. Now, while we wait for her to arrive, could you kindly tell me some more about yourself Vivien?" Pen poised, Faerzyne neatly jotted down the details as told to her, noting with wry amusement that did not show in her expression that the girl was indeed Tu'athan. Not many of them in the tower.

Faerzyne looked up occasionally as she wrote, wondering if the girl knew that she was now sealed to the tower? She had to break it to her that she would be wearing white only for years to come. Now that reaction should prove interesting.

The Aes Sedai talked about fate and gifts, but Vivien scarcely registered what she was saying; she was too busy battling feelings of panic. She felt as if she had walked right into a trap and there was no way of getting out of here without causing a huge scene. And even if she wanted to break out and make a run for it back home; who was she to defy an Aes Sedai? A powerful woman who could channel? Her mind was racing as she went through the possibilities - all the while she was sitting completely still.

"I have requested for an Aes Sedai to come meet you. She will help answer any questions you have, and will begin instructing you in your new gift." Faerzynne continued. She was still smiling pleasantly, as if to reassure. "Now, while we wait for her to arrive, could you kindly tell me some more about yourself Vivien?"

I don't have a choice, do I? she thought. Her stomach had knotted itself into a tight ball, but the Aes Sedai had asked her a direct question and she knew better than not to obey. "My name is Vivien Senette, Aes Sedai," she said. "I'm with the Tu'athan people that are camped just outside the city at the moment. That's why I said I needed to get back to them." She swallowed as she thought she saw something flicker in Faerzyne's eyes. It looked like disapproval. "I was born while our group was traveling through the Caralain Grass. Next week that will have been sixteen years ago, Aes Sedai," she reported dutifully.

She looked up from her lap, where she had been wringing her hands. Time to quit being scared. Apparently her fear and confusion didn't faze the Mistress of Novices, so it was time to be diplomatic about it. Perhaps that would convince her. "Aes Sedai... I feel very honoured that the White Tower would teach me to learn how to channel, because I didn't know that it could be dangerous and I appreciate the help greatly... but to be very honest I'd much prefer to remain with my family and my friend Bibi. I would miss them terribly if they would travel the roads and I would be forced to remain here, as fated these lessons in the One Power might be..."

~ Vivien

not really cut out to stay at home ;)

Elyssa was sitting in her room going over correspondences she had recieved. She'd been trying to find out if she had any living relatives especially female ones. If she did maybe one of them would be able to channel and she could go and bring them to the Tower. There were so few girls coming now a days it would be nice to find one from her family.

As she perused a note she heard a knock at her door. " Come in." She said this in a friendly voice not knowing who was behind the door. A novice came up to her desk and curtsied then handed her a note. " Thank you child you may go now" Ely smiled at her as she curtsied again and left the room. Ely read the note and was pleasantly surprised to find that she had a new mentee. She quickly grabed her shawl and checked herself in the mirror. Her hair was still shoulder length. She'd kept it that length since the incident with Dafydd and the staff so many years ago. The heart shaped mark on her cheek seemed to get darker with years. She didn't know if she was jsut seeing things or if it was really darker.

She walked down the hall at a hurried pace. You never wanted to keep the Mistress of Novices waiting. Arriving at the door Ely smoothed her skirts and patted her hair down one last time. First impressions were always nice. She knocked on the door and entered when called. Elyssa stood and looked at the girl who was supposed to be her mentor. She smiled and then turned to the Mistress of Novices. " I recieved your note and came as fast as I could." Ely smiled again and stood waiting.

Faerzyne dutifully copied all the relevant information into the tome in front of her, ignoring the increasing amount of distress in Vivien's voice. The girl's fate was sealed with the tower now. Desperate pleas would change nothing, regardless how polite.

"Aes Sedai... I feel very honoured that the White Tower would teach me to learn how to channel, because I didn't know that it could be dangerous and I appreciate the help greatly... but to be very honest I'd much prefer to remain with my family and my friend Bibi. I would miss them terribly if they would travel the roads and I would be forced to remain here, as fated these lessons in the One Power might be..." Faerzyne's eyes flicked to the door as she sensed someone approaching, setting off one of her wards. A knock interrupted Vivien's nervous prattling, and Faerzyne instantly bid the newcomer entry, greeting Elyssa Sedai with a nod befitting her status.

" I recieved your note and came as fast as I could." Faerzyne waved her to the chair next to Vivien, who was twisting her hands in her skirts, wrinkling them thoroughly. "I appreciate your haste, Elyssa Sedai." She said as she closed the novice book with a soft thud. "I would like you to meet Vivien Senette. She is our newest novice." Faerzyne raised a hand as Vivien looked about to speak, likely on the verge of hysterics.

"Elyssa Sedai will be your mentor. You can go to her with any questions you have, and she will begin your lessons." Faerzyne directed the words to Vivien as she rose once more, moving to the large cupboard against the wall, and retrieving two white dresses. She handed them to the appalled looking novice. "This is what you will be wearing now, child. You are to take care of them, keeping them clean and mended." Faerzyne continued her speech, not allowing room for interruption as she gave Vivien a brief run down on the rules of the Tower.

"Now child, Elyssa Sedai will answer all your questions." She said gently, moving back behind her desk with a swishing of skirts and a faint tinkling of bells. "Good day, Elyssa Sedai." With a final nod, Faerzyne returned to her work, and obvious dismissal. She did not have time to placate fearsome novices. Head averted to the pile of reports on her desk, she barely noted their curtsies as Elyssa lead Vivien from the room. Alone once more, Faerzyne sighed, and instantly put the girl from her mind. No doubt she would hear from her again, but for now that was not her problem. Elyssa Sedai would handle it. And leave Faerzyne for her monotonous paper work. Sighing once more, she set back to work.

(OOC: Vivien will be on ice until I got some Lannie stuff sorted out. Sorry!

It seems that some people think I'm getting away with playing two characters. Since this is definitely not the case but I don't want to cause people to think badly of me, I won't play Vivien until Lannie's completely ready to die and all her Main Plotlinish stuff is resolved.)

• 1 month later...

Even during her talking, Vivien could see the eyes of the Mistress of Novices flickering away from her as if she wasn't giving full attention to Vivi's concerns. Vivien was about to ask what was wrong, when the door opened and a woman with shoulder-length hair and a birthmark on her cheek. She was also carrying a blue shawl as if it was some sort of badge, as if it meant something. Vivien regarded the woman with interest, but the woman ignored her and said to the Mistress of Novices: "I recieved your note and came as fast as I could."

Faerzyne waved the other woman to sit down next to Vivien, who was now beginning to get a bit nervous. When was she going to get out of here?

"I appreciate your haste, Elyssa Sedai." the Mistress of Novices said, closing the book she'd been writing in previously. "I would like you to meet Vivien Senette. She is our newest novice."

She is talking about me as if I'm not even there! That rubbed her completely the wrong way, even more than the casual decision that Vivien had apparently become a novice without her consent. She opened her mouth to speak, with Faerzyne raised a hand with a dismissive gesture that she instinctively obeyed; there was so much authority speaking that she had responded by closing her mouth before even realizing what she was doing.

"Elyssa Sedai will be your mentor. You can go to her with any questions you have, and she will begin your lessons," the Mistress of Novices said off-handedly, obviously completely ignoring Vivien's seething and panicking that had to be upsetting the atmosphere in the room at current. Faerzyne walked over to a large cupboard against the wall and took two dresses out of it. They were completely, utterly and blandly white, as Vivien had seen some of the younger women around the place wear. And she was handed these dresses. They looked like something to wear when somebody had died. Surely they didn't expect her to...?

The Mistress of Novices seemed to guess her thoughts. "This is what you will be wearing now, child. You are to take care of them, keeping them clean and mended."

Again her attempts to say something were completely ignored as the Mistress continued, running down a list of rules that sounded as if she'd recited them a great many times to girls like her. "And lastly, you will treat your mentor with utmost respect and deference, for she has much to teach you, as does every other Sister in the Tower." Within the same breath, Faerzynne Sedai gestured to Elyssa, who'd been regarding the both of them silently throughout the whole ordeal. "Now child, Elyssa Sedai will answer all your questions." And with that, she just turned away back to her desk. "Good day, Elyssa Sedai," she said, not even bothering to acknowledge Vivien anymore.

Elyssa curtesied and gestured her to do the same... and again Vivien obeyed, too confused, dumbfounded and overcome to do anything but listen. That took all about of two seconds after Elyssa Sedai had closed the door behind them.

"Elyssa Sedai," Vivien started, looking up at the woman with the blue shawl with big frightened lightblue eyes over the pile of drab white dresses in her arms, "I don't want to be a novice. I just want to go home, my da must be worried sick... I don't want to be a trouble to you at all, I truly regret being a trouble, but I don't want to come live here and do Aes Sedai things. I want to just go back to my people..."

~Vivien

• 2 weeks later...

Elyssa left the room with the new novice in tow. She could tell by the way the child was acting that she didn't want to be here. Once the child started to speak she realized that the girl had not come to the tower to sign up to be Aes Sedai. The girl had no wish to weild the One Power. All she wanted to do was to go home to her family.

" I am sorry child but it is out of my hands. You have been signed into the novice book and are now a student here at the White Tower." Ely frowned slightly. There must be something she could do to help this girl. As the two of them walked through the halls of the tower Ely thought about what could be done. She led the girl to the novice quarters to what would be her room for the next decade at least.

" I want you to go in and change into your new clothing and then I want you to meet me in the hall right here and we will figure out what we need to do from there." Ely waited in the hall for what seemed like ages before the girl came back out. While she was waiting she was thinking the situation over.

" I am going to take you to say goodbye to your family, but you must understand you cannot stay with them. You are a Novice now and as a Novice you will have to live by certain rules. Those rules apply to everyone wearing the white dress. I am practically breaking a rule taking you to see your family but everyone should have the chance to say goodbye. Follow me and keep as quiet as you can."

Elyssa led the girl out of the tower and through the gates into Tar Valon. It wasn't hard to find the wagons of the Tinkers. They were so brightly colored it was actually hard to miss them. She had the girl lead her to her parents wagon and then knocked on the door. When the girls father answered Elyssa smiled and tried to explain the situation to him but before she could get any words out the father grabbed her and began asking her a million questions.

OOC: I hope that's good enough for you if you need me to change anything just let me know. Feel free to NPC me if you need to.