DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Poetry Contest: Free Form/Free Verse

U4ea

We've done these a lot of different ways in the past, but I decided to make them a free for all this year! :) 

This thread is a collection place for all Free Form poetry submitted for the contest.  

Rules:

No poems will be accepted after April 21st.

Voting will begin the week following April 21st and winners will be announced on April 30th! 

Haiku MUST follow the PG13 rules AND the rules for the poem to be accepted as submissions.

You may enter as many times as you like, but you can only win for ONE poem! 

Winners will get:

bragging rights

possible sig swag

borrowed from: http://ehcollins.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Write-Simple-Poetry

Free verse is an expression of ideas, thoughts and feelings. It is written like ordinary speech without rhyme or form. 

Example:

Heavy rain on the roof

We will need our raincoats

And big black boots

Splashing in puddles

Biting wind

Shivering

Cold and wet.

• 2 weeks later...

An older piece of mine that some of you might have already read, but still one of my all time favorite pieces I have written. A bit intense, but that's how it was intended. Emotion described in words.

The Void

Half-past twelve the clock read in the dead of the night. Nothing but shadows and thoughts to occupy a brain that was troubled. Thoughts of pain, thoughts of hurt, thoughts of sadness, thoughts of tiredness. Oh, for it all to end, if only it would all end. The unfairness of life, why do we all have to be different, why do people have to be unkind. What is there left to live for when life holds no good anymore. No good at home or away, no good at work or at play, nothing worth holding on to, nothing. It’s nothing, it’s just in your head, there’s nothing wrong with them. It must be me, it must be I, oh, why, oh, why. An emptiness deep in my chest, a void that can’t be filled up. Just pain and hurt and sorrow lie there with nothing to soothe it. The pain, the pain, oh, the pain. If only it would just go away.

Why not silence it for good then, why not make it go away. It is only something that you feel anyway. Why not silence it forever and live in eternal bliss. Why not stop it from happening ever again. Falling into the void, in the never ending darkness. Falling, always falling with no way to stop it. No way out, no way up, only falling, endless falling. Falling into yourself. Self destructing by the minute, no way out, no way. It can’t get better, how could it get better. No one cares, no one knows, yet it must be plain. Always living half dying because of the pain. Going through the motions of someone else’s life. Still every day falling more and more into the void, more pain to be added, more hurt to be gained. Oh, for it all to end, what else could be left in the end.

Then dawn breaks and then I see, someone had stopped me. Somewhere along the way a hand had brought me up you see. While I was lost they found me, all the while unknowingly. The sun feels good upon my face as I wonder at what might have been. Still not easy, still hard, but the sun helps. The warmth, the kindness, the accepting ways. The promise of much brighter days. They didn’t know, they hadn’t heard, but still there was the comforting words. There was nothing wrong with me, as normal as can be. Some hard times they may be, but all have hard times I see. I might not be so wrong, might not be quite so alone.

So much life left yet for me, so much left yet to see. Regaining my feet I move on, and try to stay above the void. It still becons, it still calls, but the sun is sweeter and that’s where I’ll stay. Sometimes I may falter a bit and my foot may make a little slip. In the end there’s always an arm, to pull me out into the sun once more. 

Archived