DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

AMOL sales records

NitroS

I

I recommend that you finish the series. Contrary to what some on these forums think, a majority of WOT readers enjoyed the final four novels of the series.

OP is clearly not interested in WOT, so why would they do it?

If you dig up a few threads about them just in DM (readers on other fantasy sites practically despise them even more than WOT sites), you will see that your statement is not true. Look, your are a fan of sanderson, I get it. But you have to see beyond your fanboyishness.

I'd say ratings on sites like Amazon are a better indicator of what the general readership thinks of the last three books, as opposed to a handful of vocal posters on forums. Brandon Sanderson's WoT books all have higher ratings than Robert Jordan's last few books. If anything, I'd say the general opinion is that Robert Jordan was starting to drag things out far too slowly and Brandon Sanderson brought a much needed boost in pacing. 

OFF

I'd say ratings on sites like Amazon are a better indicator of what the general readership thinks of the last three books, as opposed to a handful of vocal posters on forums. Brandon Sanderson's WoT books all have higher ratings than Robert Jordan's last few books. If anything, I'd say the general opinion is that Robert Jordan was starting to drag things out far too slowly and Brandon Sanderson brought a much needed boost in pacing. 

This post arrived on time, and as described. It is of fine quality. Excellent poster, excellent post. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. 5/5

Thanks for the laugh! You must be the only one who still trust Amazon reviews. Aggregated fake numbers tell me nothing.

Publishers pay marketing firms to advertise their books with 4-5 star reviews, and they quietly delete the 1-2 star reviews. I find the latter one more annoying, because there were many good observations in the 1 star reviews under Jordan's books. Anecdotal, but happened many times in our book club: it was 'funny' to see that TOR deletes almost immediately the 1-2-3 star reviews under sanderson's books (Or any negative reviews regarding other authors/books from TOR.). I got the links 10:00 AM, tried to click on them 14:00 PM and they were deleted by then. But hey, that's business.  

And I trust more in those 'a handful of vocal posters' because I've known them for 5-10-15-20 years. And the numbers are way more. I will never trust any reviews on Amazon, Goodreads (owned by Amazon) etc.

I will not list hundreds of titles right now, but an unwanted advice from me if you are interested in Ancient Greece or WW2 (which was the third ww, but that does not matter now):

Robin Osborne - Greece in the Making 1200-479 BC (fantastic)
Simon Hornblower - The Greek World 479-323 BC (mind-blowing; warning: to say his attitude is irritating is putting it mildly)
Graham Shipley - The Greek World After Alexander 323-30 BC (fantastic)

The rival series (Jonathan M. Hall - weak, P. J. Rhodes - good, R. Malcolm Errington - weak) is inferior.

The Long Voyage (excellent) by Semprun vs Fatelessness (terrible) by Kertész etc.

Pretty sure none of us actually know the sales figures. If anyone posting in this thread had a clue, it would be me and I don't. Most authors and publishers consider that to be confidential information, so it's not likely to be floating around online. Let's not resort to unsourced claims just because we want to sound authoritative. 

Wert wrote a bit about the difficulty of obtaining acurate sales figures in the first of his articles in the first entry in the "Best Selling SFF Authors" series he's done. 

http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/sf-all-time-sales-list.html

Pretty sure none of us actually know the sales figures. If anyone posting in this thread had a clue, it would be me and I don't. Most authors and publishers consider that to be confidential information, so it's not likely to be floating around online. Let's not resort to unsourced claims just because we want to sound authoritative. 

Wert wrote a bit about the difficulty of obtaining acurate sales figures in the first of his articles in the first entry in the "Best Selling SFF Authors" series he's done. 

http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2008/10/sf-all-time-sales-list.html

As far as I know TOR did not sue Publisher Weekly...  It is just a guessing game like box office. We don't know the real budgets, we don't know the real revenue.

And tell me, is it a big demand to ask for a few figures between idontknow 1990-1994? The market is now totally different (+75 million people, e-books, audiobooks, reading habits etc), so the rivals cannot 'use' these data for anything.

Plus insiders told us that without Jordan, TOR cannot cross-finacing (subsidize) dozens of authors anymore. This is very telling, I think.

You keep making big claims about numbers you don't have. None of us have those numbers because Tor declines to release them, because that is not something the publishing industry does. It's not some giant conspiracy, it's just how the world works. I'm not sure why you think they should be freely handing out information beyond what's industry standard. 

Who are these "insiders" you've talked to? Give us a name. Or is this an article you've read? Post the link. Prove what you are saying is true and quit making things up. Either you are too lazy to do the work of building your case properly or you are lying. Which is it? 

Locking this thread before it gets more ridiculous. 

Archived