DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

my wheel of time open source game

The_Warder

I am going to try and use blender3d to build a open source wheel of time action/rpg game. following the books. I have read 10 of the series the prequel and half of knife of dreams. but the last time I read the first book was a long time ago so I need some questions answered by the people that count-the fans.

first: what was the setting in the beginning of the first book? I thought it was an Autumn setting.you know when rand is still in the 2 rivers.

second It would help a lot in the character modeling process to have good concept art of each character. and it needs to be what they looked like in the first book since they have changed quite a bit it seems. so send in pics and post them here. I need all the concepts I can get and not just ones of characters. a good one of the two rivers would be nice. feel free to submit drawings of your own and to speak your mind I love criticism and will be open minded about such a delicate project. remember the quicker these are answered, the quicker I can start making it. and then you can have me fine tune it to everyone's liking. also on the point of camera view I am thinking about it being 3rd person almost a resident evil 4 camera system. more questions to come and updates.

also is there an official IRC here? I did a search but I could not find it.

I am a quarter done with the part where rand sees the myraddel on the road. modeling and texturing atleast.

thanks for the courtesy of reading.

Enough bumping; you just posted it yesterday!

I know Blender is used for modeling, but it doesn't have any sort of scripting language? Or are you using a proper programming language to put everything together?

There is no official IRC, but some of us use irc://irc.shadowworld.net/dragonmount (server: irc.shadowworld.net channel: #dragonmount).

Guest Karana Majin

Yeah, enough with the bumping already. *grins* Generally, around here, if people don't answer it's because they don't know.

As to your first question, he is heading into town with Tam to bring the cider and brandy for Winternight.

As to the second... I suggest you post your request on the Illuminator's forum, as they are the writers/artists/etc.

Good luck!

as to my question about the book. I was talking about the weather conditions. I just got the first book from the library and now now it is a muddy time with cold winds and little bits of snow still on the ground.

I am sorry about the bumps but I needed answers.

blender uses the python scripting language and someone in the community is working to make ogre implemented as the new game engine. with this I can pull off some nice effects. as for python I know very little but I know of ways to learn what I need to.

As a brief overview of weather and seaonal patterns in the books:

IIRC, Book 1 starts in spring of 998 NE and runs into early summer.

Book 2 picks up a month later, still in summer 998 NE, runs through a few weeks and then jumps forward four months, taking us into the late fall or early winter of 998.

There is a further long gap, of several months at least, before Book 3 opens in the late winter/early spring of 999 NE. Book 4 takes place in the summer. Book 5 takes into early autumn and the first sign of the weather going out of joint with the seasons. 1000 NE doesn't start until the end of Book 6/start of Book 7. By the end of Book 11 we're roughly 4-5 months into 1000 NE.

• 1 month later...

thanks for the Info just to show that I have started here is a even pre alpha demo with bad character models and some used tree and horse models. the camera is a little funny, use the directional controls to move and since the camera isn't set up right at the moment just click your mouse and it will zoom in on the char nothing special but I was hoping it might convince people to maybe draw some nice character concepts in a format like this.

http://62.251.67.184/hostingusers/jerney2/images/gallery/groot/438.jpg

I hope you find it a little bit neat. its hard for me to make a game without concepts like this( its the only way I know how to model organic things)

the file is for windows users only no mac or Linux at the moment. I will post screens as soon as I can.

http://rapidshare.com/files/13112962/WOT_Demo.zip.html

I am looking more in depth at concept art of characters faces and I really am liking rands look in this pic.

http://wotmania.com/artview.asp?ID=9&Pic=B

and I like this one of perrin but with some changes.

http://wotmania.com/artview.asp?ID=9&Pic=C

I cant tell if anyone has downloaded my demo but I would appreciate some messages from people who have. I have done some improvements with the camera in the demo and I have added some wind sound effects. I am currently animating the wagon and thinking of ways to make the sky and backgrounds look better.

Archived