DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Full Prologue Spoilers] slayer

harshitvaria

True enough - I don't doubt that she sent him either, I'm just saying that all of the reports are so far from the source that speculating on her motives or possible sources of manipulation is, well, almost literally pointless. The evidence is so vague and hearsayish that I could come up with an argument supporting almost any position. So, this is pretty much down to just expressing opinions.

We know Gitara is a pretty major Foreteller; Moiraine was one of those present when she announced that the Dragon had been born. So sure, it is based on opinion, but all the facts presented to us state that Gitara told Luc what to do due to a Foretelling, and theres no real reason for that to change. I feel if it was her manipulation, then RJ would have at least hinted it by now, as opposed to there basically being nothing.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just happened upon this in my re-read of tSR, and wonder how it might apply to the role Slayer will play.

From Chapter 23 "Beyond the Stone" in Bair's initial description of Tel'aran'rhiod to Egwene she says:

"To enter the dream too completely, though, is to lose touch with the flesh; there is no way back, and the flesh dies. It is said that once there were those who could enter the dream in the flesh, and no longer be in this world at all. This is an evil thing, for they did evil; it must never be attempted even if you believe it is possible for you, for each time you will lose some part of what makes you human." (emphasis mine)

I realize this could apply to many characters (the forsaken in particular) but it reminds me of how Slayer can step into Tel'aran'rhiod at will, and how often he must have utilized this technique. Is he losing a part of his humanity each time (as much as someone with multiple souls raised in the blight can be 'human')? Does this impinge upon the likelihood of his turning (if anyone is even considering that anymore)? Interesting his latest pov seems to in fact reveal more humanity in Slayer than I perceived him as having previously.

Edit: Aaaaaaannnnd Slayer is introduced in the following chapter so this quote is obviously just a build up to him (Birgitte telling Perrin he is new but his evil is old and all that). I should read a little further before I post... I suppose RJ would say I just explained that water is wet. Sorry for the useless post...

Luc's fame and fate are still undiscovered.

Gitara wasn't evil. She wouldn't send Luc there specifically for him to get caught up with Isam. Luc still has a part to play. He was sent there to do some service for Rand.

Going off of Elaida's Foretelling (cut and pasted from Encyclopedia WoT):

The very first thing Elaida had ever Foretold, while still an Accepted - and had known enough even then to keep to herself - was that the Royal line of Andor would be the key to defeating the Dark One in the Last Battle.

I know most of us have guessed this mean Rand, but it could apply to Luc. I am kind of hung up on "key to defeating". Perhaps, Luc is this key.

Archived