DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chapter 11

So back on topic and not about who got raped or was it rape. Rand should have just hidden there, instead of going up to fight the Last Battle. What do you all think that means. I think that this chapter is after they all meet up at the fields, and Rand is dead, basically everyone is just trying to get to those they love to spend the last few moments that they can have with each other. Out of everything in the chapter that we read, that has stood out the most to me. Meaning Rand went to do his thing and he failed somehow.

The bit you're talking about:

Mat wished them luck. The Rahad had fought off every invasion so far. Light. Rand should have just hidden there, instead of going up to fight the Last Battle. The Trollocs and Darkfriends would have come for him, and the Rahad would have left them all unconscious in an alleyway, their pockets turned inside out and their shoes sold for soup money.

It is past tense.

I don't know if it signifies that he is dead.

To me it certainly means that the last battle, in Mat's opinion at least, is one that Rand is fighting and is 'up there' (presumably SG), which is very interesting, because that's the first definitive example of someone thinking that Rand specifically is the one fighting as opposed to all people who stand in the light.

To me it does seem that he is either up there fighting, or hes dead. That would be a good explantion of why there are no colors when he thinks of him. Maybee this excerpt take place in the three days before he is resurected as terez thiks going to happen, if i recall correctly.

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah I see, because being raped is bad, terrible, but not as bad as annoying her. Got to avoid the scorn. So you're saying that Mat is about as emotionally affected by this as if he'd forgotten her birthday? I see. Let's not be facetious (like I just was and like you are in the next point you make...)

I was being facetious? I wasn't...

Yes her scorn, and the power she wields in that scorn. Her guards, her kingdom. He scorn is the thing that will lead those others down upon him.

Ok, so I've already said I think the stair analogy is a bit facetious. I am obviously drawing attention to the fact that females, when being raped, don't contribute to the arrangement by becoming sexually aroused. Possibly I just don't know anything about rape and as such I haven't realised that females can become aroused during rape. To be honest with you I find the whole notion abhorrant.

[Removed]

Eh, so we come down to if he got his or not. I don't think it matters, since she's the one who started it, as long as she's happy, who cares about Mat.

I think you'll sustain it if you thought your life depended on it, whether you were aroused or not.

Anyway, a Mod is going to come in and say we're getting rather beyond P?G13, I was trying to keep it vague, you kinda went a little more in depth.

Keeping it vague, it's entirely possible for a woman and a passed out man to get it on. Given your theory, it's not. But it's possible because it has occured.

So back on topic and not about who got raped or was it rape. Rand should have just hidden there, instead of going up to fight the Last Battle. What do you all think that means. I think that this chapter is after they all meet up at the fields, and Rand is dead, basically everyone is just trying to get to those they love to spend the last few moments that they can have with each other. Out of everything in the chapter that we read, that has stood out the most to me. Meaning Rand went to do his thing and he failed somehow.

The bit you're talking about:

Mat wished them luck. The Rahad had fought off every invasion so far. Light. Rand should have just hidden there, instead of going up to fight the Last Battle. The Trollocs and Darkfriends would have come for him, and the Rahad would have left them all unconscious in an alleyway, their pockets turned inside out and their shoes sold for soup money.

It is past tense.

I don't know if it signifies that he is dead.

To me it certainly means that the last battle, in Mat's opinion at least, is one that Rand is fighting and is 'up there' (presumably SG), which is very interesting, because that's the first definitive example of someone thinking that Rand specifically is the one fighting as opposed to all people who stand in the light.

To me it does seem that he is either up there fighting, or hes dead. That would be a good explantion of why there are no colors when he thinks of him. Maybee this excerpt take place in the three days before he is resurected as terez thiks going to happen, if i recall correctly.

I see what you're talking about now.

Think back to book 3, remember when Thom thinks to himself they should have set the head made on the Trollocs and Fades from the night before and Rand wouldn't have been needed? It's just people being smart asses. He's implying the Rahad is just that badass that the DarkOne himself couldn't change it.

Logistically I find it hard to imagine, sexually I find it hard to imagine being turned on and yet mentally scared etc. I know that for women rape is a very different experience with doesn't involve sexual arousal.

Legally it wasn't rape in WoT land either, and I'd be surprised if Mat himself was to feel that way, ie, I don't think he is repressing it and due to some cognitive dissonance he is able to look at it differently. I think hr genuinely doesn't feel raped.

Ok this may be part of the problem. It is absolutely possible for a man to get aroused during rape. It is one of the leading factors in how shameful and degrading the experience can be. Again this is proven fact. Very easy to look it up and do some research.

Lastly how is being not allowed to leave a room and forced to have sex at knife point not legally rape in our world or the WoT? Eager to her the thought process on that one.

Edit: as an aside there are a number of BS threads on this AMoL board that have ran many pages without ever being locked.

It took the rapist's perspective for you to see it as rape? Hmm...

Hey, you have used the word rapist when you mean rape victim.

He was responding to a person who said that from Tylin's perspective it was rape. That comment didn't make any sense either.

Ok this may be part of the problem. It is absolutely possible for a man to get aroused during rape. It is one of the leading factors in how shameful and degrading the experience can be. Again this is proven fact. Very easy to look it up and do some research.

Suttree, Suttree, Suttree. What's up, eh? What's going on here?

You clearly think that I am suggesting that a man, when raping a woman, would not be able to be turned on.

Given the subject matter, a man being raped by a woman, or more simply, a man being raped, ie, the victim, I'm clearly talking about how I would find it difficult to imagine being turned on whilst being raped.

However, for some reason, you completely misinterpreted what I said, despite it being clear as day. You think I don't understand that a man, when raping a woman, is turned on.

What is going on with you here Suttree? It's amazing you can understand the books we're talking about when you don't even understand simple, basic, concepts.

Lastly how is being not allowed to leave a room and forced to have sex at knife point not legally rape in our world I the WoT? Eager to her the thought process on that one.

You are eager to hear my thought processes?

I am assuming, forgive me if this is the wrong thing to do, that because this is a work of fiction which was written on Earth that the laws within the book would be either the same as the laws we are aware of or a more primitive version of them, unless otherwise stated. It is not an unusual assumption, it is generally a given across all literature that the authors intend the readers to assume the law is the same as what they are used to. Normally, when an author wants you to think the laws are different they will tell you.

If anything the laws in WoT are more primitive or basic, if you will, than our own. This is probably due to the fact that you couldn't fit all of our laws into the WoT (figuratively or literally, there's a lot of them, it would be boring reading and most of it is not relevant).

Now, what makes me think it's not illegal? For one thing, the person who said it earlier on in this very thread.

I note that you didn't misinterpret them, then quote them, then lose your nut over what they said.

* Tylin makes the rules.

** Did I actually say it wasn't illegal in the RW?

It certainly wasn't in the equivalent time period. In medieval europe it wasn't illegal. I'm not sure when it was made illegal, but I'd suggest you googling rape legislation and exploring all of this yourself as I'm not interested in providing you with any information which would only allow you to misinterpret what I've said and continue this any longer than necessary.

Logistically I find it hard to imagine, sexually I find it hard to imagine being turned on and yet mentally scared etc. I know that for women rape is a very different experience with doesn't involve sexual arousal.

Legally it wasn't rape in WoT land either, and I'd be surprised if Mat himself was to feel that way, ie, I don't think he is repressing it and due to some cognitive dissonance he is able to look at it differently. I think hr genuinely doesn't feel raped.

Lastly how is being not allowed to leave a room and forced to have sex at knife point not legally rape in our world or the WoT? Eager to her the thought process on that one.

Edit: as an aside there are a number of BS threads on this AMoL board that have ran many pages without ever being locked.

In most of the US, the way Rape is defined is what the issue is. In the vast majority of states, it includes the work penetration, and the V word before that, meaning the most a man could have happen to him is 1st sexual degree assault. Some states have started to change this, however there has been opposition from certion sectors (Crazy right) so some states responded by making 1st degree sexual assault have the same penalties, but it still means that Rape can never happen to a man, which is really unfair.

Random things you never needed to know and now you'll never forget!!!

You clearly think that I am suggesting that a man, when raping a woman, would not be able to be turned on.

Given the subject matter, a man being raped by a woman, or more simply, a man being raped, ie, the victim, I'm clearly talking about how I would find it difficult to imagine being turned on whilst being raped.

However, for some reason, you completely misinterpreted what I said, despite it being clear as day. You think I don't understand that a man, when raping a woman, is turned on.

What is going on with you here Suttree? It's amazing you can understand the books we're talking about when you don't even understand simple, basic, concepts.

Lastly how is being not allowed to leave a room and forced to have sex at knife point not legally rape in our world I the WoT? Eager to her the thought process on that one.

You are eager to hear my thought processes?

I am assuming, forgive me if this is the wrong thing to do, that because this is a work of fiction which was written on Earth that the laws within the book would be either the same as the laws we are aware of or a more primitive version of them, unless otherwise stated. It is not an unusual assumption, it is generally a given across all literature that the authors intend the readers to assume the law is the same as what they are used to. Normally, when an author wants you to think the laws are different they will tell you.

If anything the laws in WoT are more primitive or basic, if you will, than our own. This is probably due to the fact that you couldn't fit all of our laws into the WoT (figuratively or literally, there's a lot of them, it would be boring reading and most of it is not relevant).

Now, what makes me think it's not illegal? For one thing, the person who said it earlier on in this very thread.

I note that you didn't misinterpret them, then quote them, then lose your nut over what they said.

?

Ok now you've just confused me even more. Is everything going ok Rocky? Seems like you have an axe to grind my friend. In the last few posts this morning you have come after Terez, Luckers and now myself. What part of my post is losing anything? It was a fairly innocous commentary on the discussion. Yet in accusing me of "losing it" you decided to attack my smarts and get extremely defensive. If I misconstrued what you meant all you need to do is clarify. But it seems as if the exact opposite happened here. Further you do realize on message boards frequently what is written is not what is perceived correct? It has little to with understanding "simple, basic, concepts". Although us UC grads usually have trouble with those. Lol.

As for the second question notice i didnt specify you. I believe Vards made the original claim? However you seem to be saying you assumed it was legal because Vards said it was?

Lastly I find it very odd that a user name I don't recognize would start commenting on me personally in a thread on Rand. Especially considering this same person is arguing that we shouldn't talk about the quality of writing regarding this chapter in a thread actually concerning said chapter. See the disconnect there? I thank you to discuss the books and leave me out of your commentary. Sound good?

You misread him Rocky. Sutt is saying that it's possible for a man to be turned on while he's being raped.

I note that you didn't misinterpret them, then quote them, then lose your nut over what they said

It's illegal. However since it's Tylin's kingdom, she can choose to make something legal that would normally be illegal. In other words, I'm sure it's not legal in her country for someone to force themselves upon someone else, however since she makes the law and sits in judgement upon people, who the hell is going to stop her?

Ha well, there we go. I guess the fact that Sodomy is illegal in so many US states probably overlaps with the rape legislation too. I hadn't realised it was V-Pen...tion that was the bit too ehh forget it. You can imagine what I was saying and it's not right, the law should not be concerned with gender in this regard and I'm quite shocked by the above.

Cheers though! Another thing I didn't need to know but now will never forget! Ha

And further down the spiral we go. i almost wish this thread would get locked. It has gone so far from the original topic, that to me it is really not worth reading anymore. This was to be a good discussion about chapter 11 not the fact if mat got raped by tylin, and what the defination of what rape is. And thats what the last 2 pages of posts have really been about.

Ha well, there we go. I guess the fact that Sodomy is illegal in so many US states probably overlaps with the rape legislation too. I hadn't realised it was V-Pen...tion that was the bit too ehh forget it. You can imagine what I was saying and it's not right, the law should not be concerned with gender in this regard and I'm quite shocked by the above.

Cheers though! Another thing I didn't need to know but now will never forget! Ha

Yep, even Sodomy is sitll just 1st degree sexual assault.

It's been a huge battle ( My major was paralegal studies, and crap like this facinated me) and oddly enough the main perpetrators against changing the law were...

Females! Generally the same ones who accused men of treating females unfairly. They said that claiming a man could be raped someone degraded the definition. So the males had to bow to their whims, because they raised a ruckus. Oh the irony. Only a few states have changed it totally, like less than 10 (last time I checked) and a small amount too made the 1st degree assault change, but that was mostly because the females wanted that change because men were getting smart and raping with sodomy because they knew the law.

There are some sick people.

And further down the spiral we go. i almost wish this thread would get locked. It has gone so far from the original topic, that to me it is really not worth reading anymore. This was to be a good discussion about chapter 11 not the fact if mat got raped by tylin, and what the defination of what rape is. And thats what the last 2 pages of posts have really been about.

No one wanted to talk about my Dueling policy theory. I still don't get that.

?

Ok now you've just confused me even more. Is everything going ok Rocky? Seems like you have an axe to grind my friend. In the last few posts this morning you have come after Terez, Luckers and now myself. What part of my post is losing anything? It was a fairly innocous commentary on the discussion. Yet in accusing me of "losing it" you decided to attack my smarts and get extremely defensive. If I misconstrued what you meant all you need to do is clarify. But it seems as if the exact opposite happened here. Further you do realize on message boards frequently what is written is not what is perceived correct? It has little to with understanding "simple, basic, concepts". Although us UC grads usually have trouble with those. Lol.

As for the second question notice i didnt specify you. I believe Vards made the original claim? However you seem to be saying you assumed it was legal because Vards said it was?

Lastly I find it very odd that a user name I don't recognize would start commenting on me personally in a thread on Rand. Especially considering this same person is arguing that we shouldn't talk about the quality of writing regarding this chapter in a thread actually concerning said chapter. See the disconnect there? I thank you to discuss the books and leave me out of your commentary. Sound good?

Ok!

I think you're being defensive, but let's not go down a "you're defensive" "no, you're defensive" spiral. The truth is probably that you saw me calling you out by name in the other thread (the Rand one you mentioned) and as a result you've arrived here a little bit on the back foot.

I think possibly you confused the verbosity of my post with being annoyed. I wasn't, I simply type a lot. I will admit that I thought your post was absurd but I've already said that in the previous one.

As for not recognising my name, ok, but so what? I don't think you really need to recognise me for me to be able to recognise you. I don't care if you think I've never visited these boards before in my life. It's my interpretation. Terez will probably recognise my name, half my posts on here of all time have probably been in some spat with her. I respect your (plural) knowledge on WoT though. I said you prioritise that above being polite.

I've since gone and deleted the majority of that other post as on reflection I think it was a little churlish.

You said you didn't specify me, but you said you were very interested to hear my thought processes... So I think you did. Maybe that's just me putting two and two together and getting five but that's what happens if you quote one person and address another.

The "Losing it" thing was a turn of phrase I was using, 'losing the nut'. Perhaps that was a bit churlish too but I was trying to suggest that you over reacted. I guess that is what you're trying to do too, seems to me as though you compounded my earlier impression of you.

I'm really sorry about this.

I felt the same way about the thread back on page one or two, to be honest with you. Really sorry that it has happened and although this post protracts it even further I'm sorry about it. I too almost wish it would be locked and two threads set up, one for actual discussion of the relevant text another for bitching - be it at each other or BS.

I felt the same way about the thread back on page one or two, to be honest with you. Really sorry that it has happened and although this post protracts it even further I'm sorry about it. I too almost wish it would be locked and two threads set up, one for actual discussion of the relevant text another for bitching - be it at each other or BS.

Its all good ive been readign every post Makes my day as a stay at home dad a lil bit better and not as boring.

I also think it would be a few days or even weeks to schedule some type of duel. The way goverments run there would tons of things to have to be done before said duel was to take place. Fill out this form, fill out that form sign here here and here, inital here, next of kin here. That type of jazz. Maybee that Jame dude locked up said killer for higher in the basement until it was dueling time.

You could contact the mods and ask them to move/delete the unwanted posts.

Yah i could but im all for everyone getting to be able to voice their views be it on rape or on mats clothing choice. I just think it is funny as hell that, it has gone on this long overall.

Editied to say, Not really wish that it gets locked but suprised that it hasnt considering what has been talked about.

I also think it would be a few days or even weeks to schedule some type of duel. The way goverments run there would tons of things to have to be done before said duel was to take place. Fill out this form, fill out that form sign here here and here, inital here, next of kin here. That type of jazz. Maybee that Jame dude locked up said killer for higher in the basement until it was dueling time.

Hmm. Ok so I'm not nuts?

And yea maybe he locked him up. Still seems illegal.

"Hey Mr Government man, I wanna duel this guy I have locked in my basement. Yea he's just staying there because he wants too. No seriously!"

Lol.

Yah i could but im all for everyone getting to be able to voice their views be it on rape or on mats clothing choice. I just think it is funny as hell that, it has gone on this long overall.

Editied to say, Not really wish that it gets locked but suprised that it hasnt considering what has been talked about.

Kinda my fault. I have a bad habit of spreading info, I was reading through the thread and read that, I was really confused how someone could feel that way. In fact, I'm still not sure how that came up.

The mods were making a number of the posts Rocky is referring to ;)

The mods were making a number of the posts Rocky is referring to ;)

Lol really? Damn. I don't generally look at who's posting what, I just respond.

Hmm. Ok so I'm not nuts?

And yea maybe he locked him up. Still seems illegal.

"Hey Mr Government man, I wanna duel this guy I have locked in my basement. Yea he's just staying there because he wants too. No seriously!"

Lol.

Well I'm thinking the dueling process requires both parties to agree. In which case maybe he stayed voluntarily. I had previously thought that it would have only taken a day for a duel to be arranged - the reason people in Ebu Dar don't like it is because they want it right-here-right-now. Still, a day or a week or a month - if both people agree to have it then possibly the assassin just stayed.

Maybe he agreed out of professional pride, maybe he was an utter idiot, maybe it was classic man-pride, maybe he was locked in a basement. Whatever way you cut it I think it is possible.

Also, Mat would have underestimated him until he saw the heron marked blade. Possibly the assassin never noticed the blade, underestimated Jame and agreed to the duel upon the morrow! (Or as soon as the paper work is sorted).

Archived