DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chora trees - first steps? :)

adancau

That's awesome!! It says in WoT the Choras are artificial constructs, right?

This reminds me of a National Geographic article I read a couple years ago when they discovered a sea slug that uses photosynthesis. My first thought was "We found the first grass type Pokemon".

...You seem so convinced that I'm begining to think I'm mistaken (language issues); but I would say this 'Chora' things doesn't appear in WoT, never.

See here: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Avendesora

Avendesora is the last cutting remaining from the chora trees that lined the streets of Paaren Disen, in the Age of Legends. Chora trees are distinguished by their tri-foil leaves and the feeling of contentment a person gets when under one's branches. All chora trees except one were destroyed during the Breaking of the World.

Also here: http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Chora

Chora trees are large, living, tree-like constructs with trefoil-shaped leaves, created during the Age of Legends. It is said that they emitted a sense of peace for any who passed below their branches. They were grown in abundant quantities in the cities of old, especially in V'saine and Paaran Disen. They are grown by the songs of the Ogier and Nym.[verify]

Oh you should see what they did with the Romanian translation of Lord of the Rings... More than half the things they translated (even Rivendell, Brandywine) and mistranslated (e.g. they used 'gnome' for 'dwarf'). WoT has appeared recently, and I don't want to think what they did to it :) I've always preferred to read books in their original language if I know it, if only to not miss out on things that don't translate well.

Oh you should see what they did with the Romanian translation of Lord of the Rings... More than half the things they translated (even Rivendell, Brandywine) and mistranslated (e.g. they used 'gnome' for 'dwarf'). WoT has appeared recently, and I don't want to think what they did to it :) I've always preferred to read books in their original language if I know it, if only to not miss out on things that don't translate well.

Agreed. I read tGS and ToM in english. But can't buy again all the books in english, too much money xD I'll try to buy the collection edition >,<

I must say, to be fair, that the translator did a pretty good job overall...but well as always they shit the names...

Original->Translation--------->(literal revers translation)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Balefire-> Fuego Compacto ('compact fire')

dreamweavers->Ter'angreal del sueño ('sleep ter'angreal')

Balescream-> I don't really want to remember this translation...

Stone of Tear-> Ciudadela de Tear('Tear's Citadel')

Chora-> Sora

Just a few examples...Sometimes it just doesn't make sense direct translation, I know that: for example Kinslayer. We don't have a word for that, it's Verdugo de la Humanidad. It doesn't sound as good but it really is the best translation I can think of. But other things....balefire...compact fire...wtf dude.

So yeah, I try to read in original language, and I did with the last books as I intend to do with aMoL. In fact, I probably read 'Chora' when Avi goes to Rhuidean and simply forgot, or maybe I didn't know what it meant. Know I do thanks :D

Archived