DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's children and Rand

TheLagomorph

Not a theory, but a thing that crossed my mind.

In Aviendha's visions of the future of her bloodline we see that her kids are always connected to the one power. Now my/the idea is that Rand is now, as will they, continuously in contact with the OP.

As for indications of this being true, I am not sure. Now I think we have not yet had a POV of Rand since his enlightenment so nothing conclusive there. There is a point at which Min notes he does not get nauseous anymore, but that is after he channels so I don't know if she (or Elayne and Avi) could/can detect him being in contact with the source or whether she saw the channeling and could not detect the nausea .

Of course there is the whole meeting at Far Madding which, barring some new exception, means he lost his connection. This is very very likely since he takes special care to make sure Cadsuane knows to make a gateway outta-there (for Min). The question then is whether once he walks outside of the Guardian's range he simple goes on like a light again or if he needs to actively embrace it.

Now if he is always on, maybe that can be used against him as well at the last battle?

Just a thought, cheers!

The way i understood it, is that Avi's children aren't permanently connected to the source, they just choose to always be embracing the source. They decided, "hey, why not!" Idk, maybe i interpreted it wrong.

But Rand probably still has to embrace the source, he may hold it more often, but i dont think he's always connected to it.

It definitely seemed like a unique ability to Rand's children. Padra states that they started channeling as children, which is something we've never seen before, so I think the fact that they're always holding the Source is some kind of new power, not just that they decided to hold it forever, which I believe is dangerous for other channelers. So even if it was a conscious decision, it's still a unique ability, or at least one we haven't seen yet. This is also possibly the oddity Min sees about Avi's kids.

As for Rand...it could be possible. I, too, found Min's noticing that he didn't appear to have the sickness anymore to be interesting. Especially since we've always associated it with his link to Moridin. So, does he just never release the Source? Is his web of Light/protection from the madness responsible for him no longer feeling the nausea anymore?

re Tamyrlin1. I do not have the books here, but am quite sure that they were even connected in their sleep. Since for normal people, or men at least, this requires battling saidin (a struggle for life as I seem to recall), this seems to indicate they just are always connected. No embracing, no choosing. Mind you, I am not 100% sure about this but that is how I read those passages.

re Gaidar. If the link has evolved to a more balanced version, does that mean there is no interference, or something else?

don't forget, the link as orgin of nausea is only a theory, never confimed nor denied by either RJ or BS - despite the fact that its a commenly accepted one.

I do think that its been there for so long that their bodies/minds are used to it. nothing out of place anymore, and thus no more reason to get nausea.

Maybe the white stuff in Rand's head is actually a sign of his being continuously connected to the Source rather than a shield against the Taint?

Nyn has never delved a channeler while he's holding the source IIRC, (and never delved in that depth either) so maybe that's how it shows up.

Cadsuane has a ter'angreal that can detect channeling. If Rand was truly connected to saidin contantly, she would presumably have noticed it and commented on it, since it would be utterly unprecedented. Not to mention that unless Rand is constantly hiding his ability to channel, other Asha'man around him would have noticed it too. Heck, why would he even keep it a secret? It would be a completely unique ability and might have something to do with Callandor and/or defeating the DO, so presumably he would have told Min&Cadsuane about it to aid them in their study on how to defeat the DO.

Cadsuane has a ter'angreal that can detect channeling. If Rand was truly connected to saidin contantly, she would presumably have noticed it and commented on it, since it would be utterly unprecedented. Not to mention that unless Rand is constantly hiding his ability to channel, other Asha'man around him would have noticed it too. Heck, why would he even keep it a secret? It would be a completely unique ability and might have something to do with Callandor and/or defeating the DO, so presumably he would have told Min&Cadsuane about it to aid them in their study on how to defeat the DO.

Throughout the books, there is a difference between holding the Power and actually channeling. Since it is mentioned that Cad's ter'angrel detects channeling, I am leaning towards that the man has to make the actual weaves before the ter'angrel detects it.

I forgot if the males getting goosebumps is related to holding it or channeling.

Throughout the books, there is a difference between holding the Power and actually channeling. Since it is mentioned that Cad's ter'angrel detects channeling, I am leaning towards that the man has to make the actual weaves before the ter'angrel detects it.

I forgot if the males getting goosebumps is related to holding it or channeling.

When LTT takes over in KoD, he intends to kill himself by overdrawing on the OP. He does not actually channel anything, but Cadsuane still says that she can tell when LTT releases the power. That must mean that her ter'angreal can detect it when a man is touching the source, even if no actual channeling is occurring. Therefore she would indeed be able to detect it if Rand was constatly touching saidin.

In Emarin's manor after the attack, Logain wonders why Rand rand has not released the power and states that Rand must be holding as much as he can. When the Rand/LTT moment of craziness passes and he finally let's go, Logain informs everyone and IIRC Cadsuane says "I know. " If my memory is correct, than her ter'angreal detects when a man is holding the source.

Yes, Cadsuane should probably be able to tell if Rand is holding the Source.

But as pointed out above, she hasn't been with him much and given the way the relationship has evolved, she might not choose to comment on it.

Just a random possibility that occurred to me - probably not very likely.

BTW, related but not quite the same"

Can men "mask" holding the Source?

I mean women can't detect them normally (though there is that weave they found in KoD).

Men can detect when another man is holding the Source but can't tell at a glance if a man has channelling ability when he's not holding the Source.

Women can "mask" even when they're holding the Source - Graendal at the Cleansing, Messana with Alviarin, etc.

Can men "mask" while holding the Source so that other men wouldn't be able to detect them?

(Cadsuane's ter'angreal wouldn't be fooled anyhow by masking).

Also since wolves can apparently tell channelers at a distance when they're not holding the Source, would they be fooled by "masking" or anything else?

As I noted above the Ter'angreal is a good point, but your other points are too I guess. No reason for Rand to not share this if it were true, although not sharing information is almost a religion in Randland. Ah well.

Archived