DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A slightly wacky theory on the Prophecy of the Dragon

Raven322

Here's my big maybe for the situation, I kinda see it the way others have stated that its too obvious to be taken at face value. There is always a twist it seems with prophecy. The twist I forsee is that it won't be Rand's personal blood but the blood of his children, but not his children with Elayne but with Avi. The way I see it, Avi is big on ji'e'toh (obviously as an Aiel) and after her trip thru the glass columns in Rhuidean, she sees that her lineage will be the doom of the Aiel. She is still in the waste right now in the book's timeline (correct me if I'm wrong) and will probably miss the meeting at the FoM. She gets there late, sees that she did not have time to convince Rand to do something with the Aiel to correct her visions and thru the magic of baby-making music (I imagine it would be off of Thom Merillin's greatest baby-making hits record), she gets pregnant. Since she can't fix her problem via diplomacy, she realizes that the way to meet her toh to the Aiel is to commit suicide and kill her and the babies thus ending the future she saw in the columns. This would have to happen at Shayogul obviously, and i cant forsee how she gets there (maybe as a guard for Rand while he is doing what he has to do with the DO). Then you have Rand's blood on the rocks and the Aiel future taken care of (at least in the mind of Avi), closing two plot lines with 5 deaths (Avi + her babies).

That would explain Aviendha's dark shawl.

Here's my big maybe for the situation, I kinda see it the way others have stated that its too obvious to be taken at face value. There is always a twist it seems with prophecy. The twist I forsee is that it won't be Rand's personal blood but the blood of his children, but not his children with Elayne but with Avi. The way I see it, Avi is big on ji'e'toh (obviously as an Aiel) and after her trip thru the glass columns in Rhuidean, she sees that her lineage will be the doom of the Aiel. She is still in the waste right now in the book's timeline (correct me if I'm wrong) and will probably miss the meeting at the FoM. She gets there late, sees that she did not have time to convince Rand to do something with the Aiel to correct her visions and thru the magic of baby-making music (I imagine it would be off of Thom Merillin's greatest baby-making hits record), she gets pregnant. Since she can't fix her problem via diplomacy, she realizes that the way to meet her toh to the Aiel is to commit suicide and kill her and the babies thus ending the future she saw in the columns. This would have to happen at Shayogul obviously, and i cant forsee how she gets there (maybe as a guard for Rand while he is doing what he has to do with the DO). Then you have Rand's blood on the rocks and the Aiel future taken care of (at least in the mind of Avi), closing two plot lines with 5 deaths (Avi + her babies).

Problem with that is you don't have Rand's blood on the rocks.

That would explain Aviendha's dark shawl.

OK. Then by that logic, the Tinkers must all be good, since they wear only bright clothing. Now explain Aram.

;-^

Aram was good, just misguided. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he never was a darkfriend, just corrupted by Masema. Even the Whitecloaks are not inherently evil, they are just misguided, Moraine (I believe) described it in one book where she said (paraphrasing here) that Whitecloaks are vile, despicable people but twist that how you may they are not darkfriends. Also, to get technical here, Aram stopped being a Tinker in Emond's Field when he picked up the sword, he became something else then.

I guess the best thing to call him would be a refugee (who Perrin took in when he was disavowed by the Tinkers) or a twisted version of Aiel with a sword (I guess you call him a member of Cha'Faile since they are the closest thing to an Aiel with a sword that we have).

I'll explain what I mean about him being Aiel a little bit so I don't get bombarded with "that's wrong" replies. We know in the AoL that the Aiel followed the Way of the Leaf like Tinkers do today. The present day Aiel became the way they are today because some of the Ancient Aiel picked up weapons to defend their family and themselves. Aram did the same thing, thus becoming similar to present day Aiel except with a sword rather than a spear.

I'm not trying to say that all Tinkers are good, there are definitely darkfriend Tinkers (we saw one in the hooded meeting of darkfriends in TGH I believe[the chapter with "the man who calls himself Boors"]), just that Aram was not evil, but instead misguided. Now he may have been put on the path by Masema who may have been corrupted by the shadow, but Aram was not a darkfriend.

Except for the tiny bit contained in the babies. And technically, Aviendha counts too since she's Aiel. But the Aiel don't really fit unless it's a bunch of them IMO.

Unless you think the prophecy can be fulfilled by a bunch of Aiel standing around at SG, then this doesn't fit the bill. The blood in Avi's veins is hers, not Rand's, and the blood in the babies' veins is theirs, not Rand's. If the blood required is literal, it has to come from Rand, if blood is metaphorical then no-one has to bleed. It requires only the presence of those related to him - his children or his people.

Except for the tiny bit contained in the babies. And technically, Aviendha counts too since she's Aiel. But the Aiel don't really fit unless it's a bunch of them IMO.

Unless you think the prophecy can be fulfilled by a bunch of Aiel standing around at SG, then this doesn't fit the bill. The blood in Avi's veins is hers, not Rand's, and the blood in the babies' veins is theirs, not Rand's. If the blood required is literal, it has to come from Rand, if blood is metaphorical then no-one has to bleed. It requires only the presence of those related to him - his children or his people.

The Aiel are his blood in a sense that is fairly well-established. And if it's metaphorical, there are still other restrictions. Red on black, for example. And it has to be on the rocks of Shayol Ghul. You can't get too metaphorical with it or it doesn't make sense, but I think there is (barely) enough room for an Aiel interpretation.

I tend to think that it's more likely it will be Rand's own literal blood. I'm just more open to alternate explanations since I began to think that Rand's death will probably be an entirely separate thing. I'm really fascinated, though, by the apparent contradiction between the KC and the Shadow prophecies. In the Pit of Doom, his blood shall free us from the Shadow...the Lord of the Evening shall spill his blood and bring us the Darkness so beautiful. Assuming that the Broken Champion is actually Rand, of course. So, we know it's the blood-shedding that saves people from the Shadow, but it also brings the Darkness. That leads me to believe that it refers to his actual death, since I can see how that would bring both (freeing him from the link with Moridin, and also breaking the world with his death). But it could be two separate blood-spillings.

You know, just because he might die before the end of the book (likely, closer to its beginning), that doesn't mean that it cannot happen in the Pit of Doom. It's not like we're only allowed one SG scene in the entire book.

EDIT: Coming to think of it, two distinct prophesized spillings of his blood on the rocks of SG do sound a bit unlikely. Hmm. This might take some more thought.

There are a few things I dislike about the idea that he will die at Shayol Ghul. For one, supposedly the Dark One's powers are greatest there, and the Dark One would have easier access to his soul. That might happen, and Rand gets merged Slayer-like for real with Moridin, and then he has to be killed again. But it seems too complicated, especially since the fall of the Broken Wolf apparently happens first (which points at the merge). For another, it requires that the Lord of the Evening be the one to kill him, and thematically we're headed for a Lightfriend being the one to kill him. I agree it requires more thought.

There are a few things I dislike about the idea that he will die at Shayol Ghul. For one, supposedly the Dark One's powers are greatest there, and the Dark One would have easier access to his soul. That might happen, and Rand gets merged Slayer-like for real with Moridin, and then he has to be killed again. But it seems too complicated, especially since the fall of the Broken Wolf apparently happens first (which points at the merge). For another, it requires that the Lord of the Evening be the one to kill him, and thematically we're headed for a Lightfriend being the one to kill him. I agree it requires more thought.

I don't want to read too much into Sanderson as the choice for the author to finish the series, but...

Look at how Mistborn plays out. One way for Rand to win is to do exactly what the Lord Ruler did. Take into himself the evil to keep it from overtaking the entire world.

Poor Rand. No matter how we slice or dice it, he's in a lose/lose situation. Can you imagine a world where there actually was a Savior, and he lived beyond Armageddon/Ragnarok. How would mankind ever progress in the shadow of such a towering presence.

Rand must die. Or, at the very least, disappear into the foggy mists, never to be seen again.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tiana

Back to the "his blood shall spill on the rocks of Shayol Ghul" what about Galad? He is Rand's half-brother and therefore share some of the same blood.

Archived