DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What would happen if...

Crimson_Ayla

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm I think some things need to be figured in first as to how balefire works. Like:

How far will balefire travel? And what proximity would you need to be to the black hole/antimatter to use it?

Would the weaves need to be modified if in space?

fun physics fact that would apply to the use of balefire and its effects on black holes, from the interwebs.

A black hole is a theoretical entity predicted by the equations of general relativity. A black hole is formed when a star of sufficient mass undergoes gravitational collapse, with most or all of its mass compressed into a sufficiently small area of space, causing infinite spacetime curvature at that point (a "singularity"). Such a massive spacetime curvature allows nothing, not even light, to escape from the "event horizon," or border.

An object whose entire mass M lies within rs is considered to be a black hole. Event horizon is the name given to rs, because from that radius the escape velocity from the black hole's gravity is the speed of light. Black holes draw mass in through gravitational forces, but none of that mass can ever escape.

A black hole is often explained in terms of an object or mass "falling into" it.

Y Watches X Fall Into a Black Hole

•Y observes idealized clocks on X slowing down, freezing in time when X hits rs

•Y observes light from X redshift, reaching infinity at rs (thus X becomes invisible - yet somehow we can still see their clocks. Isn't theoretical physics grand?)

•X perceives noticeable change, in theory, though once it crosses rs it is impossible for it to ever escape from the gravity of the black hole. (Even light cannot escape the event horizon.)

i'm sure ayla understands this better than me.... way better... but there's a lot of complexity there re balefire, and what would happen to it if directed into a black hole.

i have no idea.

need a physicist.

...you balefired a black hole? Or antimatter?

Or if you had a really really really reeeeeally thin bit of balefire? Would it just pass through the spaces in the atoms, or would they be destroyed?

A black hole is something, so you can destroy it with balefire. Also fun: balefire has no weight, so it will not fall in the black hole. And antimatter the same. It exists, so you can destroy it with balefire. Or should you need antibalefire for it? Maybe...

And with the really thin bits, if you don't hit anything of the atoms, then nothing happens. However, if you hit an electron (sp), it ionizates. If you hit the nucleus, then you would get a load of free electrons. And then we have the problem, where IS the electron when you hit it? I have heard something that it is like it can go to another place without going through the space in between. I don't know if that is true, but still...

Hmm. Let us assume that balefire will travel forever (unless it maybe meets conditions stated below). So you would not have to be near the said black hole/antimatter to use it, as long as you could aim accurately enough. Also, that no modification of weaves would be required.

I see 2 possibilities:

1) The balefire hits the singularity and... something happens.

2) The balefire does not hit the singularity but passes within the event horizon. Would the balefire be able to get out? That would depend on how similar balefire is to light. If balefire is limited to the speed of light I would be tempted to say that the balefire is stuck, not moving. If it can travel faster, I have no clue...

And cindy, I could not possibly comment on any plans I may or may not have :)

This is a very interesting subject. First time I have heard of antibalfire.

Actually I love these kind of questions but every time I start to think about it it´s like my brain shuts down. It´s too big things for me to grasp. :biggrin:

...you balefired a black hole? Or antimatter?

Or if you had a really really really reeeeeally thin bit of balefire? Would it just pass through the spaces in the atoms, or would they be destroyed?

A black hole is something, so you can destroy it with balefire. Also fun: balefire has no weight, so it will not fall in the black hole. And antimatter the same. It exists, so you can destroy it with balefire. Or should you need antibalefire for it? Maybe...

And with the really thin bits, if you don't hit anything of the atoms, then nothing happens. However, if you hit an electron (sp), it ionizates. If you hit the nucleus, then you would get a load of free electrons. And then we have the problem, where IS the electron when you hit it? I have heard something that it is like it can go to another place without going through the space in between. I don't know if that is true, but still...

Light has no mass, however it does have energy which could be converted to mass. I think.

And as to whether you would need antibalefire, I think that would depend on if you thought balefire was made of normal mass/energy or something different which we do not know exists.

And yes, electrons do not orbit like planets around the sun, but kind of like an electron cloud in which we cannot pinpoint exactly where they are, just the probabilities of them being in a certain place.

Nabbed from wikipedia (I'm not too sure how accurate this is...)

Atomic orbitals exactly describe the shape of this "atmosphere" only when a single electron is present in an atom. When more electrons are added to a single atom, the additional electrons tend to more evenly fill in a volume of space around the nucleus so that the resulting collection (sometimes termed the atom’s “electron cloud”) tends toward a generally spherical zone of probability describing where the atom’s electrons will be found.

Forget about that (didn't have it at school already). But I'd say it's made from weaves, and that is One Power, which is neither matter nor antimatter, but something else, that doesn't follow our rules, but it's own.

And I think that RJ is now laughing at us, wherever he may be.

Theory about the antimatter.

a) Balefire is made of normal matter/energy.

The antimatter and balefire will annihilate each other and produce gamma rays, as per usual.

b) Balefire is something different.

The balefire will destroy the antimatter just like it would normal matter.

Archived