DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What started you on the path to the Wheel of Time?

Goramier

I was a bad kid. Fighting, getting suspended, all kinds of stupid stuff. I was in the 6th grade, we had just moved to a new part of St. Louis, and I was just acting out. My teacher Mr. Washington gave me The Sword of Shannara to keep me occupied while I was stuck in in-school suspension . Most black kids didn't read fantasy, but it was a really good book. I was hooked on Brooks until I discovered David Eddings ( Belgariad/Mallorean). Freshman year of high school this kid Ben Rhone was reading The Eye of the World. That was in 96. I asked him if I could borrow it and I've been team Jordan ever since.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was the turn of the millenium and, believe it or not, I was a Tinker at the time. I'd recently run out of reading material and wandered into a bookshop in the far north end of the country. One way or another I picked up The Eye of the World and was interested enough to buy it. I now have copies of everything (I believe) that's ever been published containing WoT content.

How I got hooked into Fantasy and WoT. I was a senior and had a good friend who was reading the WoT books. He hands me The Eye of the World and asks me to read it. I remember I took one look at it and made an assumption that it would be really horrible and just knew I didn't want to read it. But, I didn't say that and put off reading it for a couple weeks. My friend finally asks me how the book was coming and because I didn't want to admit I hadn't been reading it, I made out like I didn't understand what was going on. (I had read the prologue.) So, then I couldn't put it off any longer without hurting his feelings so I started reading it for real and I was literally hooked by the end of the first chapter! I have been a loyal fan ever since and I have actually only read other fantasy series in the last 6 years or so. But WoT opened up the Fantasy world for me and now it's my escape from everyday stresses and my preferred reading.

Archived