DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My thoughts on reading

psychx

I am not going to write a long rant on the subject, I will keep it short.

I just wanted to make a thread here - since I am new here - and see what people have to say. So, probably about June or so, a buddy started telling me about this book (series) he's been reading for years now. I consider him one of my best friends and value his opinion. So, he's telling me about it and how great it really is. One day he shows up and hands me one of the books that he has been speaking so highly of. Now, I am not (or rather, wasn't at this point) a reader at all. I mean, I would read articles online or in the newspaper; but never would willfully pick up a book and sit down to read. Well the book he handed to me is called The Eye of The World.

Later that day, I picked it up and read a page or two of the prologue but ended up putting it down to run some errands. For a few days, I would pick it back up and re-read a few pages. Finally, one very hot day, I had moved a couch from inside the house out into the back patio where the pool and pool deck is. I was planning on getting rid of it, and put it up on Craigslist for free so that someone could get a nice couch for their home. At this point, I had a few hours of free time before having to head out to the city (Tampa.) I decided to pick up the EoTW book and begin reading it. Almost immediately I fell in love with the book. I think it was the prologue that really did it for me. I was a huge fan of games like Diablo 2, and for some reason it reminded me of it a little bit.

I finished the prologue and began the first chapter. I became so enthralled that a few hours had passed by, and I was already far into the book. This is when I realized I would actually read the entirety of the story. I actually had no idea that there were more books to the series, or how many books there actually were. When I finally got to the end I needed more, but I didn't have the next book. The same friend that had given me the EoTW, had a few of the next books in the series, but I couldn't wait for him to bring it to me. That's when I remembered that my sister had an Amazon Kindle that she rarely used. I went ahead and got the books on the Kindle and began reading the next book - The Great Hunt.

Now I have come a fair distance, and am now reading The Flames of Heaven and am deeply invested in the story (and the series in general.) I am proud to say that I actually really enjoy reading now; and I think if it wasn't for this small decision that my friend made to hand the first book over to me, I would still have never sat down to read a book. Even as I am writing this, I have an urge to pick up the Kindle and continue reading where I left off. I read before bed, I read when I wake up, or when I simply have nothing else to do. And, now I pretty much own this Kindle - she can have it back any time she wants, but she never asks for it and knows that I use it far more than she would have. Hopefully when I am finally done with the WoT series, I will find another well written series or book to follow, but I will never forget the Wheel of Time and it's affect on me.

Sorry for the long post, but I just felt I would post my story of how I started reading these books and ultimately why I am now here writing this. Does anyone else have a similar or otherwise interesting story on how they ended up reading the series or how they ended up at this website/forum? By the way, nice to meet you all. :)

-Mike "Psychx" B

glad to know your enjoying the series, it's very wonderful!! when you finish with it, check out the "Recomended Reading" list thats pinned at the top of this forum to find other series users here on DM have recommended others might enjoy. theres also alot of threads here in the GD forum that discuss other series or stand alones to pick up and which ones not to pick up after reading WoT.

just a few things, stay away from the Books forum unless you like spoilers, atleast until you finish with Towers of Midnight :happy: be warned that the series does tend to lawl in the middle books (#7 - #10 for me) but even though the books drag its more than worth it to push through because the story line does pick up again and Sanderson does wonderful in taking over for RJ and keeping to RJ's style. some of the characters feel a bit different, but its a problem Sanderson corrects by ToM. over all i found it very hard to tell which parts were written by RJ and which were written by Sanderson. others were able to tell, but one fear most new commers to the series have is how well Sanderson stays true to RJ's style and i can assure you, it's not something you have to fear at all.

btw, Snaderson should be high on your list of Authors to check out after you get done with WoT *nods* and the re-reads of WoT are just as enjoyable as the first read throughs; even more so because of the amount of tiny detials and foreshadowing you can pick up on.

Luckily, I had heard that Sanderson did a fine job picking up on the writing. I have also been thinking about how much more I will learn when I eventually re-read the series, but first thing's first: I need to get done with my first journey through the books. :)

Unfortunately, I actually did read a little something that I wished I hadn't - but I don't think it's a big deal.

Welcome!

Ah, the first time through is to be cherished. Let me assure you, it won't be the only time you re-read these books. Please feel free to share your thoughts as you rea the series. It is most interesting to read how other people react to the story we all love so much.

*insert standard warnings against Book or Wheel of Time Discussion Boards until you are caught up*

Archived