A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What genre of music you love to listen?

Darynthium

Who wins in a fight?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins in a fight?

• Lan
    • Rhuarc

Metal to the bone. It's only in heavy metal where you can regularly find bands that are really instrumentally talented, with all the lead guitars, and complex musical arrangments. It's also in "real" heavy metal bands where you can find singers who really know how to sing, and sing well, not the Eddie Vedder(spelling?) kind of trash which everyone can do, and all that mediocre style of singing.

Ever heard a symphony orchestra or opera? :wink:

Well, I would have to be living in a cave not to have heard that music, ya know! But it seems to me that contemporary classical musicians/singers are in a habit of performing classic songs that others have written a long time ago; there's very little originality anymore.

Charlotte Church, Gregorian, Pavarotti, Bond - I mean, do these people even know how to write their own songs? A lot of them are like pop "musicians" who only know how to perform what others have written. And there seems to be little techniquality in the way the instruments are played, too.

It seems you'd have to look for the classics to be able to listen to original music. I tried listening to Beethoven and Mozart, but I just couldn't get into it. It doesn't mean I don't realize their talent, though; it's just a matter of "taste."

How about that Final Fantasy guy, Nobuo Uematsu? His work on FF6 and 7 are superb. That John Barry guy from the James Bond soundtrack is good, too; though he isn't really that "classical." :)

Odd to hear a metal fan talk that way about classical music, as pretty much all metal musicians who have gone beyond the level of average are at least somewhat trained in classical music as well. Yngwie malmsteen is probably the best example, he started as a baroque guitarist before he bought an electric guitar, and most music he plays is heavily inspired by classical. And guys like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani etc also has a background in classical music.

Well, if you are going to add all those to the list, you better add whale speak.

Seriously, whale speak is cool and some of their subfrequencies inspire certain feelings and emotions in humans.

I love underground(and underwater) and indie music.

Anybody heard of My Bloody Valentine? Probably my all time favorite. Kevin Sheilds is a genius.

I went classical in the absence of metal, which I listen to a lot. I espcially like epic black metal, viking/folk, and thrash.

Whilst there are many talented (technically wise) metal bands, I think the crown of technicality goes to jazz. Probably. I believe the hallmark of metal to be there willingness to incorporate new things into the music.

Just my $0.02

Archived