DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Jumping the Shark

Emperor

Jumping the shark is an idiom, first employed to describe a moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery.

The phrase jump the shark comes from a scene in the fifth season premiere episode of the American TV series Happy Days titled "Hollywood: Part 3," written by Fred Fox, Jr.[4], and aired on September 20, 1977. In the episode, the central characters visit Los Angeles, where a water-skiing Fonzie (Henry Winkler), wearing swimming trunks and his leather jacket, jumps over a confined shark, answering a challenge to demonstrate his bravery. The series continued for nearly seven years after that, with a number of changes in cast and situations.

Ok now that you know what is means (in case this term is new to you), what scenes/episodes from TV shows do you feel jumped the shark?

Grey's Anatomy - The Musical Episode

The show was losing me before but this episode ended it for me.

Xfiles: Mulder gets abducted by Aliens. The show was never the same after Mulder left... and it limped on for 2 more years after that.

Weeds: The burning down of Agrestic/Majestic.

I do think I have to agree with Emperor. About the Grey's: the music wasn't the big star of the episode it was more like a supporting actor in it., but then again this upcoming session will be the last one so....

Generally I would say if the show is a non-musical one, they Jump the shark when they do a song and dance episode: Ie like Buffy did and it limped along for 3 or 4 more sessions IIRC.

Buffy had its musical episode in the middle of the 6th season (6:14). So it only rand 1½ season after that.

Though, i would say that Buffy s the big exception to musical episodes killing a show, as it is still very celebrated. Mostly because it actually had good music, but also because Whedon succeeded in finding a balance, so the plot moved forward. Even some of the songs are written to either move the plot forward, or at least foreshadow things to come.

That said, in general I don't like the phrased 'jump the shark', as it is quite abused today. I think it is very rare that this is the reason for a shows declining quality. rather, it is a general decline from season to season. Much as a result of most shows today getting renewed season by season, which makes it near impossible for the writers to plan longer arcs. Buffy is a very good example here. Since every season could be the last, every season had to end with a fight against a big bad, and those of course had to get bigger and badder for every season, until it got flat out ridicilous in season 5 & 7. And the bigger and badder Buffys opponents got, the more difficult it became to have her evolve naturally when next season started.

Ok let me be more clear. Personally... what episode from a TV show killed the series for you. The time when you just threw up your hands and said "I am done watching this". And it can't be a pilot :P Call it jumping the shark or you just got plain fed up.

Buffy was a rare exception for me. I came into it late and fell in love with Joss, so it was hard for me to ever quit the show. I personally loved the musical. What almost did it for me was the introduction of Dawn... oh... and when Spike and Buffy "brought the house down".

Archived