DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

An Unbridgeable Chasm?

ArayaTruth

“These words mean nothing to me.” “What are you talking about?” My friends almost always respond in such a manner when I bring up WoT. Few know of it; even fewer have read any of the books. It’s hard to discuss my predictions and opinions. When I try, few even attempt to decipher my statements. They may ask me to define an unfamiliar word or phrase in the Old Tongue, but then the conversation crashes into a brick wall and meets an abrupt end.

Commoners’ Daes Dae’mar

Everyday conversation requires that I repress my WoT fandom, for the most part. If I want to engage in conversation with friends, I can’t bring up WoT theories. That cripples the conversation from the start, and it soon flounders. I struggle to revive it, but it dies. I tread carefully, when it comes to WoT. The social scene resembles the Cairhienin Game of Houses, in that way. One watches what one says and does.

The Bright Side

My friends don’t jeer. They don’t snicker or mock me. They dance around the subject and change it at the first opportunity. They don’t ridicule me when I plunge into a WoT rant, however. They let me unwind and then move on. I express my mistrust of Mazrim Taim or my wonderment at the mystery shrouding Moraine. They nod. They may not understand, but they acknowledge that I spoke.

My Quest

Whether I talk about it or not, I love WoT. As Mat said, “a pig painted gold is still a pig.” I seek a way to bridge the gap between WoT and my friends. Some gobble up whatever books they can in their spare time. I run into an obstacle when I think to ask them to read Robert Jordan’s works, however. The series requires a significant time commitment. My friends don’t possess sufficient time to read WoT in its entirety. What solution evades me?

I feel your pain, since this is basically my situation. I tend to just lecture I guess, and hope that some of the knowledge is absorbed.

Haha, that's just about what I do, when I make an attempt. If I get a question from somebody, I explain it and get an, "Ah." in reply. It's actually kind of amusing. As are the facial expressions.

This is what the internet is for. You will just have to accept that your friends don't get it. I also have some real-world friends who have read WoT but don't get into it like I do. Most of them hit me up with questions while they are reading it, but after they're done they start forgetting stuff and it's pretty much over then. I don't have any real-world friends who have read it more than once (not counting people I met on the internet).

my RL friends just accept my quirks and since several of them were in a pen and paper rpg group with me atleast I don't draw a total blank when I bring up fantasy stuff. Even if none of them has read WoT. Well, fantasy, especially english fantasy since I refuse to read translations, is pretty fringe territory in germany. Aside from Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings fantasy just isn't common knowledge.

Back in school people always gave me strange looks whenever I read a fantasy book between lessonsor during breaks. I think if I hadn't been into sports as well I might have become part of the social outcasts. XD

Archived