DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[s]Goal: 100,000 New Goal: 200,000[/s] New Goal: 250.000

Toy and Minion

'Course, these factors which at first worked in Alexander's favourite when conquering also worked against him afterwards...

The sheer size of teh empire, lack of unity&trade, lack of common language and culture, provided his major problems.

How much do you know of the Second Punic War?

"Punic"?

:blush: v.v 

Never heard the term in moi life. Should I have?? >.>

• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

This loose organisation was to Alexander's advantage when he embarked on his invasion because:

- there was no loyalty to the Great King of Persia, therefore no unified opposition

- each satrap was quite isolated from teh others

- as a result ~ Alexander could "pick off" each satrapy at a time

- in fact, many of these places welcomed him as a liberator

- the territory was so huge (and out of contact) that it took Darius II months, if not years, to gather an army together

and so Alexander went on to conquer much of the then known world until his troops refused to go further and just bounced

Yarr. And then proceeded to kill most of them, including almost himself, by marching through a desert for punishment :P

not the best way to keep moral high, that must be said

This loose organisation was to Alexander's advantage when he embarked on his invasion because:

- there was no loyalty to the Great King of Persia, therefore no unified opposition

- the territory was so huge (and out of contact) that it took Darius II months, if not years, to gather an army together

and so Alexander went on to conquer much of the then known world until his troops refused to go further and just bounced

Yarr. And then proceeded to kill most of them, including almost himself, by marching through a desert for punishment :P

True. Oh, but they loved him and worshipped him. :rolleyes:

'Course, these factors which at first worked in Alexander's favourite when conquering also worked against him afterwards...

The sheer size of teh empire, lack of unity&trade, lack of common language and culture, provided his major problems.

"Punic"?

only if you like AWESOMENESS

The Punic Wras were two wars fought between Rome and Carthage. At the time Rome was the up and coming state threatening Carthage's rule of the Mediterranean Sea (Carthage is in North Africa, Libya I think). So the Carthaginian and Romans went to war, and even though they were vastly outnumbered by Carthage's naval fleet the Roman's won and went Old testament on Carthage.

So this one Carthaginian, Hannibal, doesn't really like how the Romans raped and pillaged his homeland so he amasses an army including something like 40 WAR ELEPHANTS and marches them from Carthage through Spain and across the Andes mountains. he crossed Elephants ACROSS FROZEN MOUNTAIN RANGES. This deserves respect. Then he convinces the Gauls to fight with him.

So when the Romans see he's around they think it's quite a laugh and decide to send a nice large force of troops to squash him. They got annihilated. No one battle killed as many people as that fight until the First World War, it was bloody.

But then the Roman's got smart, they never again took on Hannibal in a full on battle, they just let him roam the countryside a bit and he never got the revenge he wanted.

It ranks among my favourite Classical war stories, right up there with Spartacus

Persia favored an oligarchy in govt.

Most Greek cities in the satrap/s Ionia, including Ephesus etc, were ruled by oligarchies under teh Persians. But being Greek, they naturally preferred democracies...

and for some reason they thought having a charismatic military leader would be better for democracy...

True. Oh, but they loved him and worshipped him. :rolleyes:

like a god.

He did do some awesome stuff. Like build a land bridge to Tyre

"Punic"?

The Punic Wras were two wars fought between Rome and Carthage. At the time Rome was the up and coming state threatening Carthage's rule of the Mediterranean Sea (Carthage is in North Africa, Libya I think). So the Carthaginian and Romans went to war, and even though they were vastly outnumbered by Carthage's naval fleet the Roman's won and went Old testament on Carthage.

So this one Carthaginian, Hannibal, doesn't really like how the Romans raped and pillaged his homeland so he amasses an army including something like 40 WAR ELEPHANTS and marches them from Carthage through Spain and across the Andes mountains. he crossed Elephants ACROSS FROZEN MOUNTAIN RANGES. This deserves respect. Then he convinces the Gauls to fight with him.

So when the Romans see he's around they think it's quite a laugh and decide to send a nice large force of troops to squash him. They got annihilated. No one battle killed as many people as that fight until the First World War, it was bloody.

But then the Roman's got smart, they never again took on Hannibal in a full on battle, they just let him roam the countryside a bit and he never got the revenge he wanted.

It ranks among my favourite Classical war stories, right up there with Spartacus

Ooooh yes of course, teh battles of Carthage!! :biggrin: I studied early Rome up to teh age of Caesar and Cicero last year, but I've never heard of them being called the Punic Wars :smile: thank you for broadening my horizon.

Yesh, Hannibals crossing through the freezy Andes with all those lellyphants deserves mucho praise indeed.

...one of my fav heroic stories from les Classical times is of the 300 Spartans under (Leonidas, was it?) who held the pass for two days against teh entire army of the first Persian invasion into Greece :happy:

"Punic"?

Ooooh yes of course, teh battles of Carthage!! :biggrin: I studied early Rome up to teh age of Caesar and Cicero last year, but I've never heard of them being called the Punic Wars :smile: thank you for broadening my horizon.

Yesh, Hannibals crossing through the freezy Andes with all those lellyphants deserves mucho praise indeed.

...one of my fav heroic stories from les Classical times is of the 300 Spartans under (Leonidas, was it?) who held the pass for two days against teh entire army of the first Persian invasion into Greece :happy:

The Battle of Thermopyle

not actually 300, 300 spartans yes, but there were others there as well, I think it was more on the order of 1500-2000 but still a massive achievement.

Saved time for someone to run to marathon and warn everyone or was it from marathon to athens? anyhoo, Athens got the message, some of them stayed in the city (around the Acropolis I think) and some of them went out to sea, both groups were acting on some prophecy that said that those who protected themselves behind wood would be safe. Then the Persians Razed Athens to the ground, an act that it is told Darius regretted