• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

Deciding what to make is my least favorite thing. Usually by the time I get around to figuring that out, I'm so hungry I don't have the patience to make anything very involved.

Pre-planning would be beneficial... but who, me? Plan in advance?

Hehehe, the way most people go about it is to just jump in. I however am a bit OCD and dislike doing things that I'm bad at, so I studied up a bit before I jumped in.

I started by reading up on the basics at mafiascum.net -- there's a flash explanation of the basics that also gives some standard descriptions of common roles... then there's a wiki that gives a lot more info on less common roles, abbreviations, theories, etc.

Then I read a few completed game threads from start to finish, including some basic games and some advanced ones that interested me theme-wise... and then I followed a couple of game threads in progress to formulate ideas when all the info wasn't there yet (i.e. whether I could pick out who was worth lynching and get ideas about who I thought was town and who was mafia while everyone else was still arguing about it).

But then there's no substitute for actually playing through a game to make it all sink in.

I sent Kaylee a bunch of links to suggested reading material when she got interested in playing, including the Mafiascum.net stuff and some completed games as examples. By the time she actually signed up over here and got into a game, she had a pretty good idea of what was going on.

O.o

...oof. :P

I've read some stuff up in teh wiki, and I've been in a basic one...I just ended up being pretty confused lol. I guess I wasn't ready for it. But I have read a bit in some current ones and thought I may give it a try again :) because it looks like sooo much fun!!

I enjoy it immensely!

Although there are times it frustrates me. Last night, for example. *grrr argh mffflrghoirsfhoweth*

Can be confusing at times, especially when people do things that MAKE NO FREAKING SENSE *cough*, but there's a certain thrill to outwitting the other guy.

If Aemon wasn't MIA, he'd be up soon to mod a training game based on Firefly where new players get assigned a mentor to give them advise and such. We were shooting for that game when Kaylee started playing but Aemon apparently got far too busy with life and such. Perhaps he'll turn up again before long and take his place in the mod queue. :smile:

Also, suggestion... you might PM the moderator of any of the games you're watching but aren't intending to sign up for and see if you can ask them questions about the things that are going on, or maybe get linked to the dead thread if they have one to discuss behind the scenes. In Wombat's ASoIaF game, everything made MUCH more sense once I got into the dead thread and found out the setup.