• Replies 237.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

My sleep schedule gets way too whacked out if I don't take melatonin for a couple of weeks.

Like, if my body got its way, days would be a 28 or 30 hour cycle. I can stay up for 20 hours no problem, and if I am allowed to sleep uninterrupted until I wake up, it'll be 8-10 hours.

After my husband died when I wasn't working, I would do just that, except on Sundays when I had to be at church to play keyboard or work in the nursery, and some days I'd do that on very little sleep.

Now that I have a full time job again, when I'm off the melatonin, I wind up getting 3-4 hours of sleep, and that not all that restful, and feeling like utter poo.

My sleep schedule gets way too whacked out if I don't take melatonin for a couple of weeks.

Like, if my body got its way, days would be a 28 or 30 hour cycle. I can stay up for 20 hours no problem, and if I am allowed to sleep uninterrupted until I wake up, it'll be 8-10 hours.

After my husband died when I wasn't working, I would do just that, except on Sundays when I had to be at church to play keyboard or work in the nursery, and some days I'd do that on very little sleep.

Now that I have a full time job again, when I'm off the melatonin, I wind up getting 3-4 hours of sleep, and that not all that restful, and feeling like utter poo.

I'm not QUITE like that, but I've been afraid to try not taking the melatonin ever since I started...because it really did help. We actually thought I was bipolar II for a while, because I had some manic symptoms and plenty of depression symptoms (I was diagnosed with depression once and actually tried meds, which messed me up so I stopped). I would go a few days totally exhausted but unable to sleep. I'd finally fall asleep shallowly in the wee hours of the morning, usually about an hour before I had to get up for work, so I was miserable and irritable that whole time. After a few days of that, I'd finally be able to sleep again.

The melatonin helps, though. And I have to keep a regular sleep schedule otherwise my body freaks out and the melatonin barely helps me sleep. If I stay up past midnight anymore, I'd probably have insomnia the next night; that's what always happened before. I noticed that staying up till 4 to go to a concert would set off one of those 4-5 day periods of insomnia. Going to sleep around the same time every night minimizes that, and the melatonin makes sure I do actually sleep when I go to bed, because tiredness and sleepiness don't always end in sleep.

I do the 3mg ones, seems to be just about perfect for me, as long as I don't ignore it when they kick in and keep myself awake too long.

I've done that. XD I'd be reading an intense book and I'd take the melatonin and lay in bed reading, and then I'd get super-drowsy but the book kept me hooked so I'd ignore it and end up feeling wide awake by the time I rolled over and looked at the clock and cursed myself because it was SUPER LATE. XD

The Hunger Games did that to me. >.>