DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

L'shanah tovah!

JenniferL

Friday marked Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, or Day of Rememberance. This is the traditional time to look back on the past year and decide what changes you will make for the better. This is the first of the High Holy Days, leading up to Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement.

I know we have many jewish members in this community and I wanted them to know we're thinking about them right now.

Whee, happy new year! *grins* What year is it anyway, in the Jewish calendar? I was actually talking to someone about that a few days back, but I couldn't recall what it started from...

(Also, when I saw the subject line for this thread, Kathana, I thought 'Is that Old Tongue? It doesn't _look_ like Old Tongue...' *grins*)

• 3 weeks later...
Happy New Year to everyone from the jewish community here :P... how do you celebrate it?

Synagogue-ically. And with honey :) (generally, prayers in the mornings - it's a two day holiday - last from 8:30-2, give or take depending on the group, then you eat. At the meals, challah (usually sprinkled in salt) is topped with honey (symbolic of hopes for a new year)) It's not a holiday with many outward acts (i.e. the passover seder/prohibition on leaven, or the succot waving of the four species and living/eating in those awesome booths); it's mainly a holiday of reflection on the nature of god's relationship to the world and people, and of repentance.

And a good time was had by all.

Archived