DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Shameless

Emperor

“Shameless,” Showtime’s American version of a long-running British series, follows the scam-happy family of a hard-drinking, welfare-squandering patriarch. John Wells (“ER”) and John Abbott (“State Of Play”) handle scripting for the American version.

It stars Emmy Rossum (“The Phantom of the Opera”), William H. Macy (“Wild Hogs”), Joan Cusack (“What About Joan”), Joel Murray (“Mad Men”) and Marguerite Moreau (“Parenthood”).

The series is certainly better than its promos let on, though Macy really does chew too energetically on scenery. Some of it is a little predictable; a lot of it is too cute. The photography and direction are strong, as is a lot of the acting. It’s more entertaining on the whole than Wells’ “Southland” over on TNT if that’s any measure.

The critics are all over the place:

The New York Times says:

… surprisingly appealing, crude, funny and also touching …

The Los Angeles Times says:

… strangely unlikable … seems determined to knock viewers on the head by turns with sledgehammers of grittiness and preachiness, never a good combination. …

The Washington Post says:

… one of the best things I've watched on TV in many months. … The last dysfunctional family drama I can recall getting off to such a good start was "Six Feet Under," with which "Shameless" shares a certain vibe. …

The San Francsico Chronicle says:

… Not only is there honor among the members of the nimble-witted Gallagher family on Showtime's "Shameless," but a lot of love, smart writing and simply extraordinary performances … In its own, yes, quirky way, "Shameless" is irresistibly heartwarming. It's also great television. …

TV Squad says:

… the family's scams, adventures and predicaments are interesting enough to keep things perking along, though the episodes occasionally feel a bit long (their running time is generally around 52 or 53 minutes). The danger of a sprawling ensemble show is that there are sometimes too many characters to service adequately. Not all of them pull their weight here, but most are at least mildly interesting. Still, if there isn't a season-long arc to pull us in, establishing empathy for a few central characters is even more important. …

The Boston Herald says:

… a remake of an inexplicably popular British series … Joan Cusack wastes her talents as a tightly wound neighbor who doesn’t realize what her teenage daughter is doing just inches away from her. …

USA Today says:

… For all the show's flaws, you can see the attraction for an actor of Macy's quality, with the kind of showy, outsized role that wins awards. But as fine an actor as he is, Frank just comes across as loud and empty. Much like Shameless.

The Hollywood Reporter says:

… excellent, compelling television from the first moment. As long as it stays true to the roots of the original, it's going to be essential viewing.

Variety says:

… wallows in dreariness without offering enough dramatic compensation in return. … For the most part, there's nothing here to be ashamed of. It's just that at a time when TV drama is so flush with riches, "Shameless" plays like a poor relative. …

okay so i caught the pilot this sunday. i liked it. it was raunchy imo, but the characters are likable and the stor lines are interesting with each of the siblings. i look forward to the next few episodes.

if anything, it will hold me over until GoT's on HBO

so they're 3 epis in and i actually like this show. it's different for sure, but has a real life feel to it, like you could have any of those characters living next to you type of feel.

i do have to say, i'm really starting to not like the Dad. he's a major ... well a major something but i'm sure the word i have in mind is agaisnt the PG13 sign. he's got a good comic relief to his chacater, but over all he's very distasteful and i don't sympathize with him at all.

• 1 month later...

okay, i'm addicted to this show!!

the dads still a jerk, but the mom :dry: someoen needs to take that SOB out back and kick her butt. her and her lover :mad:

last night episode was abotu as good as the Episode "Why doesn't he want me" on Fresh Prince of Bel Air

• 1 month later...

no offense, but wHM is a total prat in this series. i don't like his character at all

:baalzamon: which says just how good a series it is and how good of an actor he is :laugh: have you finished Season 1 yet Krak??

• 1 month later...

Just finished the season finale.

I really, really, really like this show. William H. Macy once again proves how awesome he is.

I think my favorite character is Lip. Definitely the most interesting character and I think has the most potential for development.

I love all the weed they smoke.

I can't wait for next season.

Archived