DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cleopatra 3D

Krakalakachkn

James Cameron has confirmed he is in talks to direct a 3D film about Cleopatra for Sony Pictures says The New York Times.

"I’ve been talking to them about it, but no decisions have been made" said the "Avatar" director who also admits the subject matter always fascinated him.

Angelina Jolie is attached to star in the project and Cameron is excited about the possibility - "It sounds hot, doesn’t it? I mean, Angelina Jolie and Cleopatra? To me, that’s like a slam dunk. Whether I wind up doing it or not, I think it’s going to be a great project."

and

Angelina Jolie, filmmaker James Cameron and Sony Pictures are considering teaming for a PG-13 3D feature based on the life of ancient Egyptian ruler Cleopatra.

The project has been in development since 2006 and will be based on Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer Stacy Schiff's new book, "Cleopatra: A Life". Scott Rudin is producing and Jolie became attached to star back in June.

Now, Deadline reports that scribe Brian Helgeland has turned in a draft the studio is very keen on and hopes to get into production next year. The film is being described as an epic on the scale of "Gone with the Wind" and deals with "what the Romans took from Egypt".

It will also be far less romanticised than previous onscreen portrayals of the historical figure, portraying a more realistic Queen of the Nile using information recently uncovered which paints her as a more formidable and savvier leader than many think.

• 5 months later...

David Fincher is apparently having conversations about coming onboard the Sony Pictures PG-13 3D feature based on the life of ancient Egyptian ruler Cleopatra says Deadline.

The project has been in development since 2006 and will be based on Pulitzer Prize-winning biographer Stacy Schiff's new book, "Cleopatra: A Life". Scott Rudin is producing, Brian Helgeland adapted the script, and Angelina Jolie became attached to star back in June last year.

Shortly after that both James Cameron and Paul Greengrass were seriously looking into the project until commitments to "Avatar 2" and "Memphis" respectively lead to them dropping out.

If Fincher accepts it would be his third film in a row with Rudin after "The Social Network" and the upcoming Stieg Larsson novel adaptation "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". However the issue is timing as Fincher is expected to return to the 'Girl' franchise for the second book adaptation "The Girl Who Played With Fire", while he's also still attached to Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: Captain Nemo".

Archived