DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Orientation (attn: Mistress of Novices)

Zentopia

Bennu Abravanel paused to examine a large vase sitting in pride of place on the left side of the hall she was walking down. She knew she shouldn't be dawdling so, but every inch of the Tower was so full of distractions. "I wonder who you are?" she said, tilting her head thoughtfully as she gazed at the painted image of a darkhaired woman wrapped in a green-fringed shawl, holding up a hand in defiance of an oncoming wave of darkness. "Or...were," she added after a moment; there were signs of wear on the paint and the Aes Sedai's dress was cut in a fashion she didn't recognize at all, proving it could be quite older than she'd originally thought.

So many wonders. A smile crept up her face as she shifted her shoulderbag that carried a favorite book and a couple of other keepsakes. And she was being offered the opportunity to study here – she just couldn't believe it.

And then her smile drooped as she noticed a faint ribbon of dust edging the top of the vase. How on earth did the servants miss that? Bennu wiped the edge clean by instinct; she just couldn't abide the stuff.

My goodness. Once she signed the novice book she could start to --

“Excuse me, are you lost?”

oh Light! I knew my lollygagging would get me in trouble!--

The girl nearly jumped out of her skin at the quiet yet firm voice behind her, and spun to face...a young woman just a little older than her dressed in white with seven colored bands along the hemline, who met her gaze with a lopsided smile. “My apologies. I didn't mean to startle you, but you seemed kind of lost. I'm Accepted Jenavira. Are you looking for Valeri Sedai?”

Bennu frowned. “Valeri...Sedai?”

“Yes. The Mistress --” The Accepted would have finished her sentence if not for Bennu's interruption.

“Oh, right ! Yes, the Mistress of Novices. Meryani Sedai told me it was along this way but she wasn't able to take me to the door. Besides, she said it was probably better for me to learn the path myself because...”

The Accepted finished the thought, shaking her auburn head and tutting. “Because you'll be finding yourself in the penance chair far too often,” she replied, a hint of annoyance in her voice, “for not getting where you need to on time and interrupting those of higher rank than you.”

THAT shut the novice-to-be up, the Accepted saw. Jenavira sighed, and jerked a finger in the direction of a set of large oak doors. “Through here. No doubt Valeri Sedai knew you were coming and she'll not be happy you're late.” She hesitated and added “I'd better make sure you get in there. Should I turn my back, you'll probably get distracted by the carvings on the door and never knock. Come along, now.”

Bennu ducked her head in acquiescence and fell in step behind the Accepted as she rapped thrice on the door and opened it. “Valeri Sedai? It's Accepted Jenavira. I've got a petitioner to the Tower for training.” In a quick aside to her, “Get IN there, girl. Don't keep her waiting any longer.”

The Tairen got, slipping in the door and dropping the deepest curtsy she could manage. Her bag banged on the floor, and she resisted the urge to wince. Hopefully she didn't damage anything in there. “Valeri Sedai? I'm sorry for taking so much time, but Meryani Sedai sent me to you. She says I can channel, and I need to sign the novice book so I can start learning.” She couldn't help giving a surreptitious look around the room as she raised her head - again, so many wonders!

Edited by Amadine
change of IC MoN

Valeri grimaced as she read through a report that had arrived from the farm, that fool girl was still... there was a sharp rapping on the door. "Come in." Valeri said as she placed her report in the top drawer of her large mahogany desk. An Accepted popped her head through the door and replied "Valeri Sedai? It's Accepted Jenavira. I've got a petitioner to the Tower for training.”

"Thank you child, you may go." she said to the Accepted, as Valeri spoke a dark skinned girl with long black hair stepped into her office and dipped into a deep curtsey, at the bottom of her curtesy the girl's bag clattered to the floor and Valeri raised an eyebrow, the child seemed incredibly nervous and she began to speak in a rapid tone, “Valeri Sedai? I'm sorry for taking so much time, but Meryani Sedai sent me to you. She says I can channel, and I need to sign the novice book so I can start learning.”

Valeri stood up from her chair, and moved around to shut the door as the girl stood up. "You may sit, "Valeri allowed, indicating the ladder-backed chair before her desk.

Valeri poured the child a cup of tea, so many of them arrived like this, in their travelling clothes, directly from the road. She set the teacup in front of the child, Tairen unless she missed her guess, taking her seat again Valeri smiled at the nervous girl before her, "Now child you say Meryani Sedai tested you? Why don't you tell me about yourself and how that came about."

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Novices

(OOC RP your reaction and replies to Valeri Sedai's action and questions.)

(ooc: oh dear. Sorry about that!)

"Oh dear, I've interrupted yo - " But the Aes Sedai - Valeri Sedai - she reminded herself - was already putting her book down. Apparently it could wait till this interview was through. The smile was somewhat unexpected, but she was determined not to monopolize the lady's time. Bennu couldn't help but give a brief smile back as she straightened up and sat in the chair situated in front of the Mistress's desk. Ah, blessings! Tea! Just what I needed.

"Oh, thank you for the tea, Valeri Sedai. It's nice of you." At the Aes Sedai's gesture, she lifted the teacup and peered at it for a moment before taking a sip, examining the graceful curves and swoops of the delicate design painted round the rim with ungarded fascination. "If I could ask, who made this? It's lovely...is this Seafolk-made? It reminds me of something I read about in a book once." Truly told, that was the way she'd been resigned to ever see objects from the Sea Folk; while her family was noble, they could never afford such fine things. Besides, having things so breakable was not good design around heavy books that had a tendency to fall.

The tea was excellent, clearing a throat she hadn't realized was so dry from travel. Bennu had long loved the stuff. There was just no way for her to awaken properly without it. That made her wonder if she could perhaps have a teaset in her quarters. Perhaps. "My name's Bennu Abravanel, Aes Sedai," the young woman said after a moment. Her hands curled around the cup, letting it warm her hands as she rested it in her lap. "My family's nobility pretty much in name only, but we manage a small library on the west side of the capital city. We have for about a century now."

She tilted her head. "Perhaps you know of Maira Abravanel? She studied at Tar Valon, and though we know very little else about how she fared in the Tower - family diaries say she was always very close-mouthed - she sent a very generous bequest to the family some decades after coming here. To build a library, she said, and 'keep alight the flame of learning'. We've never heard word from her since." Yes, that was one thing she'd research as a favor to her father should she be given the opportunity to browse the libraries here - she could at least get more information on their relative's fate so the records at home could be complete.

"But yes...Meryani Sedai did us the honor of choosing us for some research while she was in the city, and after a conversation with her when I brought some books to assist her, she tested me and saw I could channel. And being that we were in Tear, well...you know the country's custom about channeling." The young woman gave a brief shrug and took another sip of the rapidly cooling brew; Bennu wasn't that upset about the speed of her uprooting. It wasn't like she couldn't contact her parents. Although the idea of channeling made her extremely nervous, it didn't completely repulse Bennu as it did the majority of Tairens. That would be almost like refusing to use the information in a book just because one didn't like the illustrations...tools were meant to be used!

Valeri smiled again at the girl, she seemed more comfortable now. "Yes, child it is Seafolk Porcelain, lovely isn't it."

The dark-haired girl began to tell her story, it must have come as a shock to her family, Aes Sedai were tolerated at best in Tear. Forbidden to channel the moment a girl was discovered to have the ability to channel, whether it had already manifested itself or not, she was packed up and sent off to the White Tower that same day.

"Perhaps you know of Maira Abravanel? She studied at Tar Valon, and though we know very little else about how she fared in the Tower - family diaries say she was always very close-mouthed - she sent a very generous bequest to the family some decades after coming here. To build a library, she said, and 'keep alight the flame of learning'. We've never heard word from her since."

Valeri smiled again and nodded, "Yes Bennu, i believe that Maira Sedai is in the Borderlands at the moment, perhaps you shall see her next time she returns to the Tower."

Bennu's jaw dropped slightly before she recovered herself and continued speaking, "But yes...Meryani Sedai did us the honor of choosing us for some research while she was in the city, and after a conversation with her when I brought some books to assist her, she tested me and saw I could channel. And being that we were in Tear, well...you know the country's custom about channeling."

Valeri nodded again. "Well we will not need to test you today child, since Meryani Sedai has taken care of that already," Valeri pulled open the large bottom drawer of her desk and carefully lifted out a large leather bound book. "this child is the Novice Book of the White Tower, entering your name will seal you to the Tower forever."

She turned the book to the pages where the most recent entries were, taking up her pen she lifter her gaze to meet Bennu's. "Now child, i need you to tell me your full name, your place of birth and raising, and finally your age." Valeri carefully wrote in the details as the girl spoke, she smiled as she wrote, new Novices were few and far between these days and it was always a joy to be entering another name in the book.

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Noivces

(OOC: RP your character's response to being added to the Novice Book)

Valeri smiled again and nodded, "Yes Bennu, i believe that Maira Sedai is in the Borderlands at the moment, perhaps you shall see her next time she returns to the Tower."

Bennu’s eyes widened. Maira was still alive? But that…but…”That was nearly 150 years ago!” No one alive in the family remembered her personally; that was impossible. But Valeri Sedai talked about her with familiarity as though she had tea and cookies with her just yesterday. Her thoughts tumbled about much like blocks under an unsteady child’s hand. By the light, 150 years…and she couldn’t have been that young then to have that much gold – or could she? Bennu wasn’t entirely sure of the state of the family fortunes then, and if she was Aes Sedai to boot…the mind reeled to think.

And she now had the chance to meet her. Light! The very idea of meeting family history… Bennu made a mental note to write her father as soon as she had the opportunity; he would want her to get every last inch of information on their relative that she could. Well, within reason.

The Aes Sedai was watching her, clearly bemused at her befuddled reaction so Bennu struggled to regain her composure. At the same time she wondered just how old Valeri was, but knew full well it’d be completely impolite to ask that. That ageless look was…unsettling.

Valeri nodded again. "Well we will not need to test you today child, since Meryani Sedai has taken care of that already," Valeri pulled open the large bottom drawer of her desk and carefully lifted out a large leather bound book. "this child is the Novice Book of the White Tower, entering your name will seal you to the Tower forever."

The young Tairen stared at the book, her hands itching to pore through its pages, even though it was just no doubt a ledger. But it was so large…How many years does that go back, I wonder? she thought as the Mistress of Novices leafed through to find a free spot for her registry.. So large. So many hopeful novices in there. How many actually earned the stole and staff? How many got sent home? How many were still here?

And where would she be, a year from now?

“Bennu Abravanel, born and raised in Tear. Seventeen years of age.” Somehow she managed to keep her voice fairly even.

“Bennu Abravanel, born and raised in Tear. Seventeen years of age.” The girl's voice wavered slightly as she fought to control the wave of emotion that had crossed her face upon hearing that Maira was still alive, well one hundred and fifty years was a very long time to anyone other than an Aes Sedai.

Valeri dipped her pen into the inkwell of fine Tarabon ink which sat on her desk top and neatly wrote the details into the Novice Book which was open on the desk before her. She signed her own signature at the end as the admitting Aes Sedai and set her pen down.

"Welcome to Tar Valon, Bennu Abravanel, welcome to the White Tower, Novice Bennu." she said formally, and then in a lighter tone, "Let's see about getting you some proper Novices dresses, please stand up child."

Bennu did as she was directed and after visually assessing her size Valeri went to the large timber cabinet in the corner of her office. A lovely detailed piece that matched her desk, Valeri pulled open a large door and took out 2 folded Novice dresses, 3 shifts, a pair of soft slippers, a belt and a pouch - all in pristine white. "These should do you for the next day or so, once you are settled you may take this token to the dressmaker's within the Tower and they will make you some dresses and shifts in your size." Valeri set the small pile into Bennus hand and placed on the top a small round wooden coin with "Novice" enscribed on the front.

Retaking her seat behind the desk Valeri looked to Bennu and said, "When you get to your room you will find a trunk there, that trunk is for you to pack all of your old belongings and clothing into, you may keep a few bits and pieces with you, but the trunk will be placed into storage as you will not be needing those things for now."

"Now child, have you any questions for me before i summon someone to show you the way to the Novice Quarters?"

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices

(OCC RP your reactions to being written in the Novice Book and given Novice whites)

"I hope not to disappoint, Valeri Sedai," Bennu nodded her head respectfully as she watched the Aes Sedai enter her name in the book with a firm but graceful hand. At first she thought she’d be required to add her information hersel, but a quick glance proved otherwise. That was all for the best. Would that her own handwriting could be better - doubtless a few years of study would fix that once her teachers in the Tower complained about not being able to read her chickenscratch.

And now…the dresses. After standing up for the Aes Sedai’s careful scrutiny, the new novice glanced down uncertainly at the neatly folded garb in her arms. As much as she liked cleanliness and clean things, white was a color she’d long avoided like the plague. Oh, Bennu would wear things touched with white, but nothing completely white. There was a perfectly good reason she preferred dark clothes at home. Such colors worked better to hide dust and ink splatters, all of which she was used to encountering daily in her past vocation as an archivist.

Not past, she reminded herself. Once I make it to Aes Sedai, I can do that again, if I want. Perhaps. Or if I don’t, perhaps I can get a recommendation to the Royal Library. Who knew what she’d be doing once she finished her studies?

Bennu looked back up at the Mistress’s query, and shook her head, smiling. “I didn’t bring much, Valeri Sedai. Meryani Sedai advised me not to pack much for this very reason. Just a book or two, a couple of my favorite quills, and a few changes of clothes. Not that I’ll be needing the clothes, but I’ll keep the books. They’ll probably help with my studies. Maybe.” She paused. “Do I start classes today, or tomorrow? I mean, I don’t mind starting today if it’s necessary.”

Edited by Chikara

Valeri smiled at Bennu, it was wonderful to see such keen Novices arriving at the White Tower, "Tomorrow will be soon enough for your lessons to begin child" she replied, "for now I shall summon someone to take you to your new room."

Valeri lifted a small brass bell from her desk and rang it, a few moments later there was a timid knock on the door and Valeri called for the newcomer to come in. As the door open Valeri saw it was Jessin, a young blonde Novice. A shy thing but an excellent student. "Hello there Jessin," Valeri smiled, "This is Bennu, she has just been signed in as a Novice, could you take her to the Novice Quarters and see that she gets one of the recently aired out rooms please."

Jessin nodded and Valeri said to Bennu "I will talk with you soon Bennu, but know if you need anything, my door is always open," she smiled, "now off with you girls."

Valeri watched the two girls leave with a smile and with a weave of Air pushed the door shut. She sat back, reheated her tea with a small thread of Fire, and lifted it to her lips.

Valeri Kinaea

Mistress of Traditional Novices