DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Balefire

Guest darkbeast13

Guest darkbeast13

balefire is said to burn a thing out of the pattern itself thus making it so dangerous/useful.

in an erlyer book i do not recall exactly which Aviendha is killed by one of the forsaken. she is then brought back by Rand who kills said forsaken with balefire. it is said or implied that she is brought back because the forsaken is burned out of the pattern and therefore never was. so Aviendha was never killed except in the memories of Rand.

so in the latest book The Gathering storm, why is it that Min Farshaw remembers being strangled by Rand and thereafter wears the bruises to prove it. shouldn't these actions be burned from the pattern as well because rand was being controlled by Semirhage. and Rand then burns Semirhage form the pattern using balefire. this would mean that the events leading up to Semirhages death did not happen.

these are of course just thoughts in that it does not specify the amount of balefire used to kill Semirhage so it could have not burned her far enough out of the pattern.

would like some other peoples thoughts on the matter

I believe this was explained by that even though Sem. forced rand to do it, rand was the one who actually caused the wound, and as such the wound remained since Rand was till in the pattern. (aka, only direct damage done by them is removed, any indirect damage remains).

(i know there is a quote to this affect, but i do not know where).

(ps the forsaken you are thinking of is Rahvin, he killed Mat, Asmo. and Aviendha, Asmo was just unlucky enough to die twice in the same day.)

Think of balefire destroying atoms at a certain point in the past in relation to its power. Only things that ever came into contact with the balefired person are affected. If I picked up a book and set it on the table and you balefired me I would be pissed and the book would once again be on the floor because what moved it stopped existing. However, if I told you to kill person C and you did, then person D could balefire me and person C would still be dead, the force that killed him (you) existed in the time-frame where you killed him. Also, memories are not entirely affected by balefire.

If I picked up a book and set it on the table and you balefired me I would be pissed and the book would once again be on the floor because what moved it stopped existing.

hhahahhahahaha. Excellent. You would be pissed indeed. That made me laugh :lol:

And yeah, Brandon adressed this.

The Gathering Storm Book Tour, Borders Dallas 14 November 2009 - Claireducky reporting

Question: (something regarding the bruises remaining on Min's neck, and if this was a typo)

Brandon: No, that is correct. Rand caused the bruises, so balefiring Semirhage would not make them go away. Balefire only removes paradoxes caused by the direct actions of the one who is balefired. And the bracelets remained after Rand balefired [semirhage and Elza] because they weren't really part of Semirhage or Elza.

http://www.theoryland.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=372 Go here for interviews and answers from RJ or BWS. Its alot easier than waiting for people to reply and making you look ignorant :D (Im joking, if you didnt know)

Archived