DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Suikoden

Karasayl

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this to life... but me too! I would love to see a new Suikoden in line with I-III and V (though not IV).

Personally I would like the battles (and even campaigns) to take into account the SoD (Stars of Destiny - which are the 108 recruits available in the Suikoden games) in a more complete manner through the use of Staff Officers and Generals rather than merely unit moves.

->Generals could provide general bonuses such as morale and so forth as well as identify any opportunities available for the player to take advantage of (you might get comments like 'their left flank is exposed' or whatever that could help players, for the program it would define just how intelligently they were able to direct their units. Generals could also make options available (if the conditions permit it) for large scale tactics like flooding the area. Generals should give the order to units explicitly (the character moves them as per normal), or give them an objective (say 'attack' and they continuously attack without needing input) or designate which units should act as they see fit (best used on units with intelligent commanders)... if the player is moving those units themselves as opposed to letting the units take control, then there should be a slight delay (to account for the need to relay orders to the unit) as opposed to if the units are moving themselves. Generals would be chosen prior to the battle.

->Staff officers would be optional but if used could be responsible for provisions, supply lines, training, intelligence gathering, setting up traps and so forth, this would provide a range of potential bonuses. Staff officers would be chosen prior to the battle.

->Specific unit commanders would still have their unit moves / bonuses as they always have had

I think this would enhance strategy and lessen dependence on specific unit commanders, as general and staff importance becomes more apparent particularly with large scale battles.

I would also like to see an additional game play mode (I am NOT suggesting this for the primary mode) perhaps unlockable with New Game+ or something... 'Celestial Sphere' or 'Galaxy' mode, which includes numbers of individual constellations which act as parallel stories told from a different character's perspective

'Celestial Sphere' or 'Galaxy' Mode

->All of the SoDs and some of the Antagonists and unlockable characters make up the Galaxy

->Constellations are basically 'groups' of SoDs and/or Antagonists, centred around one of the major SoD's (and perhaps even one or more of the Antagonists (note antagonists rather than 'bad guys' in the Suikoden tradition) )

->The nature and purpose of each constellations will depend on the character that serves as the centre of that constellation, they may only consist of a few stars (they may not be interested in expanding their group), they may only recruit other notable characters or perhaps they might recruit soldiers... they might act as bandits, revolutionaries, loyalists and or forces bent on the destruction of the world... That central character therefore helps determine their purpose and if they are a group that can be recuited, reasoned with, ignored or must be battled.

->Other stars in that constellation may perhaps betray their leaders, attempt to form break away groups or usurp and so forth (though this last one is probably only for particular characters)

->The 'Hero's constellation, can recruit SoDs as per normal (and perhaps some of the antagonists as unlockables)

->The other constellations are each defined an area of the world in which they have influence, they may only recruit from within this area (the area of influence will change as they defeat other constellations or perhaps if they ally with other constellations). The rate they may recuit depends on the player's recruitment (especially outside of their own area) and/or game progression.

->This would allow for situations where SoDs might struggle against one another, even friendly SoDs; there may be inter-constellation diplomacy... I think this emphasises the idea that one side isn't 'good' and everyone else is evil, which is one of the beautiful things about the Suikoden series.

Constellations (Unlockable per 'constellation' centre - after a special sequence has been viewed between the hero and that character) which is actually part of the Celestial sphere or galaxy mode

->This would allow the player to select one of the unlocked Constellations and use that character as the Protagonist (tell the story from their perspective) this could be particularly poignant. Basically, an expanded version of Suikoden III's Trinity Sight System.

->Unlocking these constellations might actually lead to an awesome multiplayer mode if done well.

Archived