DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Eurovision Song Contest - Semi Final 2 (Thursday 27th May 2009)

Corki

And here we go again! After Europe shocked us with its poor taste on Tuesday, we have another semi-final. And I will be your host for this evening's entertainment, passing my glorious comments on tonight's proceedings via Twitter (http://twitter.com/DM_BotRH) and posting them on here as well. Please note that I am watching something else at the same time as a series I have been following finishes tonight, and I don't want to miss it, so I might miss the odd song.

And just a quick rundown on how tonight is to work. 5 countries (Norway as last year's winners, UK, France, Germany and Spain) are all guarenteed a place in the final. However, the remaining 34 countries have to battle it out for the remaining 20 places. So tonight is the second of the semi-finals. 17 countries are competing, aiming to get one of those 10 places for the final on Saturday. And you can vote while you listen, which is new this year. As is the national jury system in addition to the public vote.

So, go and grab something to drink and eat, and let's enjoy the evening's entertainment. Not long left to go now!

2. Armenia

Armenia - nice song. nice mix of electronics & traditional music.  Catchy chorus. Better than last song by a long way! (Corki)

She has quite a pair of assets as well!  ;D

3. Israel

Israel - needs a stronger voice. Similar to last year. Seems a bit repetitive. Not much of a fan. Wakes up at the end - too late (Corki)

Another "Pop Idol" reject - came 2nd in Israeli version.

5. Switzerland

Switzerland - Where are my sunglasses? One heck of a bright suit! Not convinced by the vocals though...seem a bit on the weak side (Corki)

Lithuania.

Hm, with a better chorus, this could have been a quite good number, but now it gets a bit boring. 2+

Armenia.

Hehe, nice closeup there in the beginning ;D Quite good song, but could have used something a little extra. 3+

"israel"

Zzzzzz.... 1-

Denmark

Whoever wrote this need to send an apology to Sting, because the influence from Every Breath You Take is not exactly subtle. The 'Wanna know Wanna know Wanna know' bit in the chorus is borrowed from another song, but i can not recall which one. The song in itself is not very impressive, but the vocalists are doing a good job lifting it a bit. 3.

Suisse

Feels like I should like this. Nice melody, decent vocalist, well produced. And yet, it never lifts. 2+

Sweden

As a representative of Sweden, I humbly apologize to Europe for forcing this upon you. 1.

6. Sweden

Sweden - doesn't sound like ABBA, but ballady type song. Not bad vocals, but could be stronger to overcome music.  Will she cry? (Corki)

Time for Maj to complain about the entry!

7. Azerbaijan

Azerbaijan - sounds like a cross between Beyonce & Rihanna. Good big vocals to carry the song off. Potential winner as it appeals... (Corki)

Big people are involved in this - Azerbaijan want to win!

8. Ukraine

Ukraine - doesn't do anything for me. Too sombre for Eurovision. And screechy! Bring back Ruslana and Wild Dances! (Corki)

The crowd seemed to like it at the start...

9. The Netherlands

Netherlands - Fishfingers (i.e. dinner) are more interesting. At least it was more Eurovision than Ukraine.... (Corki)

It's Smurf time!

10. Romania

Romania - Corki's tip to win. Absolutely love this song! Really catchy! "You and Me, Can't You See We're Playing With Fire" (Corki)

Awesome double piano...and music video features technology from Avatar.

11. Slovenia

Slovenia - Interesting mix of rock and traditional music...not convinced it works though as rock has too strong an influence.  (Corki)

Oh, and another accordion!

12. Ireland

Ireland - what Ireland does best --> ballad! Nice vocals. It worked in the 1990s - but in the 2010? We shall see... (Corki)

Former winner for Ireland hoping to bring back some glory. And there is no turkey in sight!

Azerbaijan

Hard to focus on the song with those legs around, but... ;D

The classic Eurovision ballad, big and dramatic, and a good voice, even though she stumbled on some notes. 4. (Though I should take away 1 point for having a country name that is almost impossible to spell  ;D)

Ukraine

Good song, good vocals. And interesting with a song without an actual chorus. 4.

The Netherlands

Written by the guy who wrote the music to the Smurfs, how can this possibly go wrong? Oh, like that. This could have been a strong number in the kids Eurovision. In the real competition, not so much. But it is entertaining, I have a hard time not nodding along with a big smile :) 2-.

Romania

As with Denmark, the two vocalists lift a song that is lacking something. 3+.

Slovenia

Oh come on. An attempt to marry Slovenian folk music with 80s rock. An attempt that can be summarized in a single word: Fail. At least the girl was pretty... 1.

Ireland

Surprise, the irish give us a ballad...But, this is better than what we have heard from the green isle the last couple of years. 4-

13. Bulgaria

Bulgaria - Hope this wakes up shortly...and it does! Does he sing anything else but "ooooo"? *switches channel* (Corki)

What is it with wings this year? And were the dancers wearing cling film? They are now like spinning tops!

And that "*switches channel*" reference is to me moving to a different channel to catch the start of the end of a series I have been watching as this song was awful!

14. Cyprus Wales

Cyprus - not that bad. Much better than Belgium 2 nights ago who did something similar. (Corki)

There is nothing Cypriot about this song at all!

15. Croatia

Croatia - a bit shouty and screechy in what could be a good song. Dancing seems a bit of time. Could do better. (Corki)

If I get a bench, will I get 3 good looking lasses sitting on it? ;D Just as well Northie isn't about either! ;D

16. Georgia

Georgia - nice little number. enjoying the vocals. simple and effective. And who doesn't like a lady in red? (Corki)

A bit of conflict of interest, as this song was written by the person who wrote Norway's entry.

17. Turkey

Turkey - "nu-metal/rock", which is un-Eurovision.  Way too much strobe lighting! Different.  Didn't do anything for me. (Corki)

Last song of the evening! And some nu-metal/rock. What the hell is that robot thing in the background?

Bulgaria

This will not win, but the singer can take comfort that this will be played to death around the Mediterranean this summer. 2+

Cyprus

Boooooring. 2-

Croatia

This semifinal is where all the good ballads are hiding. Extra plus for not singing in English. 4-

Georgia

Had this been in the 1st semifinal, it would have shined. But now it stands besides the stronger ballads of this semi, and pales quite a bit. Good voice though. 3.

Turkey

Apparently this band is fairly big on MTV. Which explains why I have not watched MTV for 15 years or so. Rock for the Idol-era teenage kids. Shame, as we have gotten used to Turkey sending good songs. 2.

Archived