DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Weapon choice?

Nynaeve

I know that in the books the CotL's official weapon is lances, but they're also described to be proficient with other weapons as well. I realize that each of us has their own favorite weapons and I was wondering what would be the weapon you'd prefer your character to master.

I think I'd either go for a long sword or a bow, myself. Now I know you probably think that only the Children in the Army of Light would need to know how to use a weapon, but truth be told Questioners should be able to handle a weapon as well. And spies as well, of course. Even if it's not something they would use on a daily basis, one can never know when he will find himself in an hostile enviorment.

So, go on, tell me what's your favorite weapon and why. And if you feel like sharing some info about its usage or some such feel free to.

Personally, I love bows ever since seeing the LoTR movies. I always thought they were clever weapons. The movie, and specifically Legolas, just made it seem more awesome lol  As for swords, they're just so magnificent and I always wanted to learn how to handle one.

Nyn

i want to learn how to use a whip, i agree bows are cool, the whip thing (and i mean proper weapon whips) come from interaction with the warder of my old ajah head (he was also my mentor for a while). You probably remember Alriand, he works with them and i seen some cool videos of him working a bull whip.

For my CoL char it seems staff is likely to be first choice at the very least, if he learns others i dont know. And in retrospect it suits cause I am thinking of making him a questionaire when i get around too it, so its fitting, since they have one in their emblem.

Personally, I've always been absurdly fond of knives/daggers/short sharp objects. The speed they can be used with is incredible, and they're very quiet, efficient weapons too- perfect for spies, or anyone who prefers to end arguments without attracting attention.

I've always felt longbows were rather over-rated; shortbows would be my preference for ranged weapons, simply because they're so much more portable and easier to shoot. Good for skirmishing.

I want to learn how to use a whip, i agree bows are cool, the whip thing (and i mean proper weapon whips) come from interaction with the warder of my old ajah head (he was also my mentor for a while). You probably remember Alriand, he works with them and i seen some cool videos of him working a bull whip.

Yep, I remember him. I actually chatted to him once not too long ago. It was quite random  lol   I can definitely see the appeal of a whip as a weapon. It can be pretty deadly if you know how to wield it. I always keep thinking though that if the other person is strong enough he/she can just pull it and you, by extension. Is that accurate?

For my CoL char it seems staff is likely to be first choice at the very least, if he learns others i dont know. And in retrospect it suits cause I am thinking of making him a questionaire when i get around too it, so its fitting, since they have one in their emblem.

Yeah, I love staffs as well. Influence from Gabriel from the show Xena: The warrior princess. Yep, I'm totally influenced from stuff I see on TV because I don't really see any weapon usage on a day to day basis. Cause you know, guns don't really count ;)

Personally, I've always been absurdly fond of knives/daggers/short sharp objects. The speed they can be used with is incredible, and they're very quiet, efficient weapons too- perfect for spies, or anyone who prefers to end arguments without attracting attention.

Daggers are definitely compatible to a spy. I can totally see a spy shooting daggers out of his sleeve or something. But, yeah, I can see what you mean. Small weapons are also easy to conceal.

I've always felt longbows were rather over-rated; shortbows would be my preference for ranged weapons, simply because they're so much more portable and easier to shoot. Good for skirmishing.

Legolas uses a long bow?  >.>

I do remember thinking, while watching the Avatar movie, that the bows seemed a bit uncomfortable. On the other hand I'm assuming that a long bow would have a greater range.... so it really does depend on what sort of enemy you're facing...

Nyn

Longbows are for range, and punching power. Welsh longbows with yard-long arrows could actually punch through armor better than a crossbow. Their big difficulty is that they are slow; they don't fire as quickly as shortbows, and they are worthless weapons if you're ambushed or otherwise unprepared for fighting.

And no, I don't think Legolas used a longbow- sorry about the confusion. :) Of course, what Legolas does in those movies is either imposible or impractical, so I'm not sure it matters what he does it with.

Mostly, though, I've just always felt that the Mongols and similar Asian steppe nomads were awesome, and shortbows are usable from horseback.

*nods* Yeah, you've made some good points.

And no, I don't think Legolas used a longbow- sorry about the confusion. :) Of course, what Legolas does in those movies is either impossible or impractical, so I'm not sure it matters what he does it with.

Oh, everything involving Legolas is important  *nodnod*  ;D

Nyn

Importance has nothing to do with either practicality or probability. :)

I liked Legolas in the books, but less so in the movies. Not such a big fan of Orlando Bloom I guess.

But to avoid wandering off topic... I like swords quite a bit myself, but in the context of Wheel of Time most of the cover art seems to indicate that Randland uses mostly Eastern blades, and I've always preferred the cruciform swords of the European knights. Maybe because so many people I know go crazy at the suggestion that a katana is anything less than the greatest invention of mankind...

I have to admit that I don't really know much about swords. Would you be interested in maybe explaining about'em a bit? If you are willing, use pics off google lol  It helps!  >.>

I'd love to hear about it, myself.

Nyn

Hmm..... Not really an expert, myself, although I can certainly talk about it. :)

Swords are (very) broadly divided into Eastern and Western weapons. Western weapons include weapons from across Europe, but also weapons from the Middle East and Northern Africa. Eastern weapons generally draw from weapons commonly used in India, East Asia and Japan.

Judging by the art associated with WoT, most of the weapons in it appear to be based on Japanese weapons; that is, they are single-edged, extremely sharp and very tough blades with very simple curvature. They typically take much longer to make than Western weapons and are extremely difficult to mass-produce with anything near real quality. They are meant to be speedier weapons and are typically used with the intent to cut with the tip or the forward end of the edge.

Western swords are a mix of single-edge and double-edge swords, but are usually used with the intent to strike with the mid-section of the edge, and put far more force behind the swing. They are generally constructed as cruciform swords due to the fact that European sword construction really took off after the rise of the Catholic church. I personally prefer the way these look because I've always find the symmetry of the blade to be very elegant. They are easier to mass-produce, and while they are generally less durable than Japanese swords they are much easier to repair or replace. They are also more varied, because as plate armor appeared in Europe weapons adapted to deal with the fact that cutting edges generally did little damage to anyone wearing it.

My personal complaint with Japanese swords is with the widely-held American belief (at least, widely held among those nerdy enough to carry about swords) that because they were constructed with more care and quality anyone skilled with one can defeat a similarly skilled swordsman with a European sword.

Like I said, I'm no expert. This is what I've managed to conclude, and if I'm wrong please correct me. Medieval armory is a hobby of mine, and I'm always glad to learn more about it.