DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thom Merrilin: Possible Darkfriend?

brown_hound

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, or has been previously discussed.

I could not find any posts relating to the questions I have.

Our international man of mystery Thom Merrilin seems, in my interpretation, a little dodgy.

Throughout the series, RJ forshadows alot of events to come.

I've recently begun my first re-read of the series, and it really stood out to me Lan's suspiciousness of Thom in the Two Rivers:

Lan speaking to Bran al'Vere and Moiraine in tEotW. p104:

"I do not like that man. There is something about him I don't trust. I did not see a hair of him last night." "He was there," Bran said, watching Moiraine uncertainly. "He must have been. His cloak did not get singed in front of the fireplace."

There seems to be a few other events in the series which have seemed to irk my attention, like the Myrrdraal in Whitebridge, and Thom's mysterious escape.

There's undoubtedly more than meets the eye to Thom...

I think it may be a little dark...

Please shoot down or build on my little theory!

Thom's PoV in Chapter 17 of tSR shows he is not a Darkfriend. As for the rest--Thom was a red herring for the question of who brought the Trollocs on Winternight. Lan's comment, combined with him involving himself for no known reason (at the time, later we learn his reason is Oweyn) and a few other subtle hints were supposed to lead us off track from Fain. This was clarified by his final explanation in Whitebridge.

There is still the question of his seemingly power-wrought knives, and the blue flash, but that's a seperate issue.

Thom's PoV in Chapter 17 of tSR shows he is not a Darkfriend. As for the rest--Thom was a red herring for the question of who brought the Trollocs on Winternight. Lan's comment, combined with him involving himself for no known reason (at the time, later we learn his reason is Oweyn) and a few other subtle hints were supposed to lead us off track from Fain. This was clarified by his final explanation in Whitebridge.

There is still the question of his seemingly power-wrought knives, and the blue flash, but that's a seperate issue.

Lovely! And thanks.

I did not recall Thom's POV so that has quashed my niggling!

Archived