• Ilan Eshkeri
    • Klaus Badelt
    • Harald Kloser
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Nicholas Hooper
    • Danny Elfman
    • Mark Knopfler
    • Patrick Doyle

So I've noticed a lot of Banders seem to be very interested in soundtracks.  Since I am too, and since there's not really a good place for discussion, I thought I'd made a thread.  I also made a poll just to see everyone's thoughts.  Obviously I couldn't remember every composer, so I chose current, popular composers.

I'm a big fan of most everyone on that list, but I have to say that Howard Shore's work on The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is by far the best I've ever heard.  I've never heard anything come close to matching it; some themes might have, but in overall cohesion, individual song performance, and outright genius, Howard Shore overshadows all.

Hans Zimmer would probably be a close second.  His work on the Pirate films were great, although I think Klaus Badelt's score for CotBP was better than the 2nd and 3rd Pirates, he hasn't really come out with anything else.  My biggest beef with Zimmer is that he reuses a lot of his themes in multiple works.  I've been listening to Pirates and thought, "wait a second, that's the theme from Gladiator".  His lack of new material knocks him down a few notches in my book.

John Williams uses tones more than tunes, and that makes him not as good in my mind.  He's still good, don't get me wrong, but not the best.

Gregson-Williams is good, and I like his work on the Chronicles of Narnia soundtracks, but he's not very original in his work.

When John Williams left the Harry Potter series as composer, I wasn't too upset, but I did expect quality to go down.  I was surprised however, when I listened to Patrick Doyle's work on Harry Potter 4.  He took Williams's themes and expounded on them and created a really good soundtrack that actually is my favorite of the series.  Nicholas Hooper, who took over for 5 and beyond, has not been good.

A composer idea, huh? Cool!

And considering I'm currently listening to Howard Shore...I also have a thing for Lord of the Rings music. He did an awesome job.

Personally, though, I would have to say John Williams is the best because he's done so many different movies!

I do agree that Patrick Doyle did an excellent job on the fourth Harry Potter, and I was wondering what went wrong in the 5th and 6th movies...both musically and artistically!

• 1 month later...

Archived