DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

MLB 2010

SBoydW

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That game was excruciating.  Sox had to get one after coming back from a 5-run deficit...and to blow it in the 9th thanks to Crapbelbon was just brutal.  Perhaps Beckett can get it together night and outduel Sabathia, but my 2010 hopes for the Sox have been reduced (again) after last night's outcome.

He didn't blow it this time but he sure did scare everyone.

Can you imagine the fallout if he had blown it again last night? Pap would not have been able to show his face in Yankee Stadium any time soon, let alone pitch there.  At least they got out of there with a win.  Here's hoping for a split with the Twinkies.

Although what is with the closers this year.. Mo Rivera has struggled his last few outings, Hoffman has been getting ROCKED, and Paps struggled his last two... interesting to see three of our times premier closers all having a rough go of it here lately.

Paps isn't that old, then again I guess he's always has his "interesting" streaks...  The other two I can see age but it's just they've always been so dominant... especially Hoffman, it's odd to see them struggle and at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

It's too early to be all that worried about 1st or the wild card spots...lol.

That being said, talk about a matchup, been watching the Cards take on the Mariners.  Ichiro and Albert.  The 1st and 2nd in hits since 2001(both thier first full year). 

In the AL East I don't think it is.... It's going to be a season long battle for the Red Sox if they want to get into that spot.  With the Yankees and Rays in the top 2 spots their 4 game deficit is comparable to a 7-8 game deficit in any other league.  I made that post three weeks ago and they've only gained 1.5 games.  So if they continue that pace it's going to be middle August before they take the lead, and then they have to hold onto it...

Hmmmm, things have definitly heated up with the Rays coming out this year. 

The NL Central has become interesting with Cincy deciding they know how to play ball...lol. 

I am kinda liking the Cards aquisition of Suppan.  Talk about getting someone on the cheap.  He seemed pretty good the night before, and I think he'll get better again under Duncan.  He was phenomenal for StL in the postseason and would be a major burn to the Brewers who are still paying the last year of his contract.  :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fast approaching the mid way point of the season.  We've already got an all-star thread, but I'm curious about other people's thoughts on what is going on in the sport. 

The biggest surprise so far this year for me is the Padre's.  This team was really bad offensively last year and they seem to have remedied that and their pitching this year is fantastic.

The best team so far to me, the Boston Red Sox.  I know they don't have the best record, but for them to have their ace (Beckit), and now Buchholz on the DL with Pedroia, Ellsbury, Varitek, and Martinez, they've been spectacular considering that they're still only 4 or so games out of the lead in the AL EAST, the toughest division in baseball.

Best hitter so far is a tie to me.  Miguel Cabrera and Josh Hamilton.  Now Cabrera has more RBIs and Runs, but those stats are some what dependent on what others around you do.  Both of their OBP are ridiculous and their both slugging .600+ (21 homers each).

Best pitcher so far has been Ubaldo Jimenez.  I know his last few starts have been a little rough, but that as going to happen eventually, no matter how good he is, he wasn't going to maintain a sub 1 ERA for the whole year.  He currently has the most wins in the league, a low 2's era, his whip is barely over 1 and he has 100+ Ks.

The biggest disappointment so far has been the Phillies.  They have one of the, if not the best pitcher in baseball in Halladay, and a power packed line up with Howard, Werth, Ibanez, and Utley (recently on DL).  Though other than Halladay their rotation has been no so good.  Hamels is having another sub par year, and Happ has been hurt.

Almost have to wonder where the Phils would be if they kept Lee. 

Something is going wrong with the Cardinals......Defense.  They are racking up errors at a frightening pace.  I have to believe injuries to Freese(mod-good defense) and Ludwick(exceptional outfielder) are partially to blame, but they are giving to many extra chances, and in baseball we all know....that comes back to bite you. 

I like the Allstar rosters for the most part.  There were some snubs, but that is inevitable.  Biggest surprise, to me, this season would have to be.....the Rays.  And I think that Philly is a good choice for biggest dissappointment. 

Archived