DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Myrddraal linked to Trollocs = Bonding?

mellojoe

In the earlier books, a big point was made out of fighting Myrddraal.  And if Trollocs fighting with that Myrddraal were linked to it, they often died when the Myrddraal were linked to it.

The myrddraal found they could control the Trollocs easier by being linked to them.

Isn't this similar to the Warder bond?  One of the central themes of the book is the Yin-Yang: and this could easily be the "black" half of the circle.

Yes?  No?  Bad idea?

In the earlier books, a big point was made out of fighting Myrddraal.  And if Trollocs fighting with that Myrddraal were linked to it, they often died when the Myrddraal were linked to it.

The myrddraal found they could control the Trollocs easier by being linked to them.

Isn't this similar to the Warder bond?  One of the central themes of the book is the Yin-Yang: and this could easily be the "black" half of the circle.

Yes?  No?  Bad idea?

I don't know if it's necessarily the 'black' half of the circle, but there are certainly some interesting parallels, now that you mention it.

It's at least implied that the Bond allows Aes Sedai to have some measure of control over their Warders.  The specific instance that comes to mind is Alanna mentioning (I believe to Cadsuane) about how powerful he is and her being lectured on how she should have brought him to heel, in either LoC or CoS I believe.

Also, when Logain bonds his Aes Sedai, the bond allows him control over them as well, doesn't it?

If I add my own two cents, I'd also hedge my bets and say that the weave used for those bonds is probably similar in some way to the weaves likely used to make a'dam and domination bands.

There's a lot we don't know about the Myrddraal/Trolloc bond, simply because we have very limited pov from the Dark, and its unlikely that we're going to see anything remarking on it - at least probably not until the outriggers, if they're ever done.

Great idea.

Someone commented about how Warders reacted to their Aes Sedai dying.  Some were known to possibly even drop dead from the shock of it.

It reminded me of the first pair of novels where the Trollocs would drop dead if their Myrddraal died.  Trollocs would be weaker minded than Warders, thus have very little chance of surviving that.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone commented about how Warders reacted to their Aes Sedai dying.  Some were known to possibly even drop dead from the shock of it.

It reminded me of the first pair of novels where the Trollocs would drop dead if their Myrddraal died.  Trollocs would be weaker minded than Warders, thus have very little chance of surviving that.

I thoguht the trollocs just went wild and started killing each others, in a sort of way reverting to nature and attempting to rectify the perversion

I don't think Fain can actually bond anyone, but he does have some peculiar abilities.  Fades have no effect on him at all, yet seem horrified of him.  He also seems to be able to recognize dark friends instantly.

As far as the Myrddraal and trolloc bond, it is stated that it's similar, but not quite the same thing.

I don't know the specifics of it, whether the fades can/do bond the trollocs against their will, how far the control extends, if there is a limit to the number of trollocs a fade can bond, etc.

However it seems to me that the ability is serendipity.  When Aginor (it was Aginor wasn't it?) created the trollocs, he did it using a blend of science and the OP.  Fades were a side effect, supposedly being some kind of genetic throwback that was more closely related to humans than animals, and had powers and abilities even Aginor didn't understand.

I wouldn't call this the "black" half of yin or yang, but simply a different angle on the same ability.  First I'll make some assumptions.

Only humans can channel.

My idea is that since fades seem more human, and are a direct consequence of the use of the power, while not being able to channel, they are more attuned to the OP than any other non channeler. 

Animals can't channel.

Trollocs are more akin to animals than humans, hence they don't have the same affinity to the OP as fades, or the ability to channel.

Channelers can't bond animals.

However, a fades proximity to humanity, and a trollocs proximity to humanity, are just enough that essentially a replica of the warder bond can be made between the two.  How it's done, I don't know, but that's what I believe the fundamental aspects of the ability are.

So...yes, the fade/trolloc bond is somewhat similar to the AS/warder bond, just not as refined and probably done a lot differently.  Think of it as perhaps a corrupted or impure form of the warder bond.

Archived